DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Metal fab shop for rent (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/334119-re-metal-fab-shop-rent.html)

Steve B[_13_] January 9th 12 06:26 AM

Metal fab shop for rent

"Howard Beal" wrote in message
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/2789271170.html

I wonder if he has liability insurance. Sounds like
a law suit wating to happen.

Best Regards
Tom.

I like that old shop sign:

Shop rate: $35 an hour
If you watch: $50 an hour
If you help: $75 an hour

I would not turn any metalworking piece of equipment I own over to someone I
do not know well for a rental fee. Grinders, saws, and everything that
makes sparks or flames can hurt people. Smart people either do it
themselves or have it done. Stupid people look for a way to get around
paying and get it done on the cheap. Or do it themselves, do a half ass
job, and end up paying more to have it done again or fixed.

Steve

Spehro Pefhany January 9th 12 06:49 AM

Metal fab shop for rent

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 21:26:39 -0800, the renowned "Steve B"
wrote:

"Howard Beal" wrote in message
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/2789271170.html

I wonder if he has liability insurance. Sounds like
a law suit wating to happen.

Best Regards
Tom.

I like that old shop sign:

Shop rate: $35 an hour
If you watch: $50 an hour
If you help: $75 an hour

I would not turn any metalworking piece of equipment I own over to someone I
do not know well for a rental fee. Grinders, saws, and everything that
makes sparks or flames can hurt people. Smart people either do it
themselves or have it done. Stupid people look for a way to get around
paying and get it done on the cheap. Or do it themselves, do a half ass
job, and end up paying more to have it done again or fixed.

Steve

There are a ton of shared workspace places springing up worldwide, but
usually the tools appear to be purchased specifically for shared use.

Here's one:
http://www.i3detroit.com/about

Too bad it's so far from here. $89 a month is pretty reasonable.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

anorton January 9th 12 07:36 AM

Metal fab shop for rent

wrote:

[...]

Info for manufacturers:
http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:
http://www.speff.com

There is a similiar shop near me I looked into. The catch was you had to
take a class for each piece of equipment before you could use it. I
understand why, but the classes were not cheap and I think that is how they
made most of their profit.

Jim Wilkins[_2_] January 9th 12 01:59 PM

Metal fab shop for rent

"Steve B" wrote in message
"Howard Beal" wrote in message ... I would not turn
any metalworking piece of equipment I own over to someone I do not know
well for a rental fee.
Steve

Trade school shops aren't much different, except that the instructor has
more authority. Every small fragile part on my lathe had been knocked off
and some idiot used the tailstock spindle as an anvil horn.

The company model shops I ran were worse. I was the lab tech and all the
engineers outranked me, so I could only try to persuade them to be careful,
and clean up after them.

Bandsaws do not saw through lawnmower blades, especially on the wood speed
setting. They will kind of burn their way through after the teeth are gone
but the sparks ignite the sawdust.

jsw

Steve B[_13_] January 9th 12 04:44 PM

Metal fab shop for rent

wrote:

[...]

I'm not saying that it isn't a good idea, or that it won't work, it's just
that I wouldn't do it.

Steve

Steve W.[_2_] January 9th 12 09:00 PM

Metal fab shop for rent

Steve B wrote:

I'm not saying that it isn't a good idea, or that it won't work, it's just
that I wouldn't do it.

Steve

I looked into opening up a rental garage type outfit many years ago.
Like the old ones where you rented a bay and used your own tools to
repair your vehicle, with specialty tools available for a fee.
Garage space with a couple lifts and plenty of room/light/compressed air
was not a problem.
I own a LOT of special tools already and wouldn't have had a problem
getting more.

Then I talked to the insurance people.... WHOA.. By the time we got to
the price of the policy needed to cover everything required by law it
would have been cheaper to buy the folks new cars!!!
IIRC the price for the liability alone was close to 35K a year.

--
Steve W.