Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sheet metal nibbler vs. shears

I have noticed there are two types of cutters for sheet metal. One a
nibbler, one a shear.

The one nibbler I see apparently cuts out small pieces, almost circles, and
imagine that would be for very fine work. The other "nibbler" has two
blades that are about 3/4" long that go up and down, pinching and shearing
the metal.

The third is a shear, much like a pair of electrified scissors.

A brief description of each and its use would be appreciated. When it comes
down to it, I will probably need all three for various stuff.

And lastly, I see some run on air. If one has a good compressor, is there
any important differences between the electric and air models?

This is going to run a few bucks, so wanted to ask first.

And is buying refurbished worth the savings or not? Problems later vs: new?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
I have noticed there are two types of cutters for sheet metal. One a
nibbler, one a shear.

The one nibbler I see apparently cuts out small pieces, almost circles,
and imagine that would be for very fine work. The other "nibbler" has two
blades that are about 3/4" long that go up and down, pinching and shearing
the metal.
The third is a shear, much like a pair of electrified scissors.
A brief description of each and its use would be appreciated. When it
comes down to it, I will probably need all three for various stuff.

This one:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Pneu...Nibbler/T23085
punches out crescent-moon shaped chips with devilishly sharp points. Mine's
inaccessible behind firewood now. IIRC you can't directly see the cut line
and have to offset the guide or drawn line. They cut fairly tight curves.

http://metal-engravings.com/wp-conte...al-Tools04.jpg
has two stationary blades straddling one that pivots up and down, like twin
scissors. It's the one that sometimes jams on me. They cut larger diameter
curves. If you make blind cutouts with them the corners will need cleanup.

I haven't tried other hand-held powered versions.

And lastly, I see some run on air. If one has a good compressor, is there
any important differences between the electric and air models?

Mine are all air so I don't risk sharp edges or splinters cutting into a
power cord.

This is going to run a few bucks, so wanted to ask first.
And is buying refurbished worth the savings or not? Problems later vs:
new?
Steve

No idea. Mine are cheap imports that don't get much use.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
I have noticed there are two types of cutters for sheet metal. One a
nibbler, one a shear.

The one nibbler I see apparently cuts out small pieces, almost circles, and
imagine that would be for very fine work. The other "nibbler" has two
blades that are about 3/4" long that go up and down, pinching and shearing
the metal.

The third is a shear, much like a pair of electrified scissors.

A brief description of each and its use would be appreciated. When it comes
down to it, I will probably need all three for various stuff.

And lastly, I see some run on air. If one has a good compressor, is there
any important differences between the electric and air models?

This is going to run a few bucks, so wanted to ask first.

And is buying refurbished worth the savings or not? Problems later vs: new?

Steve

I bought a nibbler. Cuts thru thin stuff like butter.
Two problems.
1) it's hard to make it go in a straight line. I find
that the hand shear is easier to control where it fits.
2) the little crescents of aluminum go everywhere.
Not a problem if you're working on the bench. But if you
were working in an electrical box, those conductive chards
going everywhere would be a disadvantage.

You might want to ask about the availability of replacement
die. I'm quite sure that I won't be able to get a replacement
when my HF unit gets dull.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/31/2011 1:43 PM, Steve B wrote:
I have noticed there are two types of cutters for sheet metal. One a
nibbler, one a shear.

The one nibbler I see apparently cuts out small pieces, almost circles, and
imagine that would be for very fine work. The other "nibbler" has two
blades that are about 3/4" long that go up and down, pinching and shearing
the metal.

The third is a shear, much like a pair of electrified scissors.

A brief description of each and its use would be appreciated. When it comes
down to it, I will probably need all three for various stuff.

And lastly, I see some run on air. If one has a good compressor, is there
any important differences between the electric and air models?

This is going to run a few bucks, so wanted to ask first.

And is buying refurbished worth the savings or not? Problems later vs: new?

Steve

There is actually another kind that is a rotary shear. I got two
variable speed electrical ones at an auction sale at an aircraft repair
shop. These allow you to see where you are cutting and allow all kinds
of curves, etc. Actually cut faster than I like! Just need to practice!

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul Drahn" wrote in message
There is actually another kind that is a rotary shear. I got two variable
speed electrical ones at an auction sale at an aircraft repair shop. These
allow you to see where you are cutting and allow all kinds of curves, etc.
Actually cut faster than I like! Just need to practice!

Paul

If you are young, daring and carefree an abrasive disk in a circular saw
cuts steel plate.

not signing this one

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote

If you are young, daring and carefree an abrasive disk in a circular saw
cuts steel plate.

not signing this one

I once cut one sheet of 39" wide roofing panel. It used up one blade. At
that rate .....................

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 31 2011, 2:43*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Just depends on what you want to cut and to what accuracy. I've got
the pneumatic nibbler that cuts the little partial circular nibbles,
like the other poster said, they're nasty sharp. Takes quite a hole
if you want to start in the middle of a panel. The other nibblers I
have are hand-powered, good for small stuff like the electronic
chassis and circuit boards they were designed for, not so great for
roofing sheets. You can follow a line quite closely with those, the
handle is under the work surface and you can see the punch very
easily. They will cut to a sharp corner. Any of the nibbler types
need to have sufficient material allowed for when laying out for
filing, the cut tends to be ragged. Punch sets can be had for both
types, you just have to dig around to find them. The small hand
nibblers only take a 1/4" hole to start in the center of a workpiece.

The electric shears I'm familiar with can do the job, but like hand
shears, they'll distort the material edge while doing it. People tend
to crowd the limits of what they can handle, leading to busted blades
and sometimes busted innards. Blades sets, when obtainable, tend to
be a little expensive. I see a lot of the shears in the pawn shops
with one blade gone, good luck finding a replacement. Every OEM has
its own design.

I don't do a lot of compound curved sheetmetal work, if I did, a set
of the rotary wheel shears would be nice, I believe the formal name
for those is "Beverly", you see them used a lot for aircraft work and
making custom car body parts. Only worth it if you do a lot of it and
can take the tool cost off the taxes.

For a lot of things, the fastest way is to get out the angle grinder,
equip it with a thin metal cutting blade and go to it freehand. I
had a brand of wheel called "Razorblade", were like super Dremel
cutoff wheels on steroids. Just about that thin, too, but stood up
better. I bought what that weld shop had on hand, haven't found them
anywhere else. I've got a "shoe" for the 4 1/2", looks like the base
for a Skil saw and works the same way. Kind of a pain to put on, so
not really worth messing with except for long cuts. It does keep the
spark tail down. Fewer holes in shirt and pants.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

-"Stanley Schaefer" wrote
-For a lot of things, the fastest way is to get out the angle grinder,
-equip it with a thin metal cutting blade and go to it freehand. I
-had a brand of wheel called "Razorblade", were like super Dremel
-cutoff wheels on steroids. Just about that thin, too, but stood up
-better. I bought what that weld shop had on hand, haven't found them
-anywhere else. I've got a "shoe" for the 4 1/2", looks like the base
-for a Skil saw and works the same way. Kind of a pain to put on, so
-not really worth messing with except for long cuts. It does keep the
-spark tail down. Fewer holes in shirt and pants.
-Stan

I use cheap cutoff wheels from the discount store, freehand without a guide
shoe. The cut tends to wander off the line because I keep my head as far
away to the side as possible. Sometimes the job is easier and neater if I
grind a shallow groove the length of the cut first and then follow it with a
severing cut.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 14:16:22 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

-"Stanley Schaefer" wrote

snip
-anywhere else. I've got a "shoe" for the 4 1/2", looks like the base
-for a Skil saw and works the same way. Kind of a pain to put on, so
-not really worth messing with except for long cuts. It does keep the
-spark tail down. Fewer holes in shirt and pants.

snip

If your interested, Harbor Freight has a generic version:

http://www.harborfreight.com/safety-...ers-45921.html
===
Safety Guard for Angle Grinders
Item # 45921
Fits 4" and 4-1/2" Angle Grinders
Only:$6.99

Designed for use with cut-off discs or diamond blades on your angle
grinder.
-Adjusts from 1-3/8" to 2-3/4" high to accommodate 4" and
4-1/2" wheels
-All-steel construction
-Powder coat finish
Guard blade diameter: 4" or 4-1/2" x 1/8" thick
Shipping Weight: 1.45 lbs.
===

Happen to see this awhile back as I was searching for
something else...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" writes:

I have noticed there are two types of cutters for sheet metal. One a
nibbler, one a shear.

Around 1980, when I was relatively poor, I was making quite a bit of
hand-formed stuff out of 16 ga m/s shapes. I bought a Bosch electric
nibbler and that, together with a Beverly B3 fixed me right up. The
nibbler was a big ding in the budget at that time but I never
regretted it. I did break the die -- easy to do -- once early on but
Bosch had a new one in stock. (As someone else observed, a HF cheapo
replacement die might be a problem.)

I find it hard to follow a line with the nibbler but easy to rough out
the shape, then tidy it up pretty accurately with the B3. Beats
trying to manage a 4x8 or 4x4 sheet of 16 ga. though the B3 by a mile.

Recently someone gave me a cheap Chinese air nibbler. It never worked
right and I threw it away after determining that I couldn't figure out
how to make it right.

Now that I have air, I use one of those two-prongs-up, one-prong-down
bits for an air chisel/hammer on light stuff with excellent results.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 1, 1:44*pm, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 14:16:22 -0500

"Jim Wilkins" wrote:
-"Stanley Schaefer" wrote

snip
[...]

Sort of the same idea but mine's a welded box with a shoe pivoted at
the rear. I'm pretty sure I got it from Princess Auto when they had a
presence(briefly) in the US. Replaces the normal blade guard just
like the HF jobbie. Kind of a pain changing wheels with it on.
Either one could follow a clamped-on guide for straight cuts, which is
the reason I got it in the first place.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 02 Jan 2012 03:05:23 -0400, Mike Spencer
wrote:

"Steve B" writes:

[...]

About 60 years ago I bought a hand operated nibbler, IIRC it is "Adel"
brand, ordered mail order from Allied Radio. That, and my Weller Jr.
soldering gun are still in use.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stanley Schaefer" wrote

Sort of the same idea but mine's a welded box with a shoe pivoted at
the rear. I'm pretty sure I got it from Princess Auto when they had a
presence(briefly) in the US. Replaces the normal blade guard just
like the HF jobbie. Kind of a pain changing wheels with it on.
Either one could follow a clamped-on guide for straight cuts, which is
the reason I got it in the first place.

Stan

I am going to have many straight cuts 48' long of 29 ga. paintlock. I
inherited a radial arm saw that just might be up to the task, but may only
cut half of the sheet at a time, and I would have to build a table to secure
the entire sheet to keep from launching it. I hate cutting this stuff with
a circular saw, although it has been suggested by others. I will only do it
when no other way is possible, or it is a small cut. Right now, I'm ready
to order a DeWalt W890 for the straight work, and am deciding on a nibbler
and handheld anvil type for finer work.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
I am going to have many straight cuts 48' long of 29 ga. paintlock. ...

Why didn't you say so? (Or did you & I didn't notice?) Forget nibblers
& shears - the ideal tool for this is a circular saw with a carbide
metal cutting blade. Tenryu, Morse, etc. It will fly through it.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-03, wrote:

[ ... ]

About 60 years ago I bought a hand operated nibbler, IIRC it is "Adel"
brand, ordered mail order from Allied Radio.

Now "Allied Electronics". :-)

That, and my Weller Jr.
soldering gun are still in use.

Hmm ... about 1957, so only 55 years ago. An Adel as well. The
Weller soldering gun finally died, and is bad news for today's
electronics work, but the nibbler is still there and works when needed.

I *think* that I got it in a local electronics shop -- which is
no longer in business, but I'm no longer sure.

To start it in the minimum sized hole (5/16" IIRC) you have to
loosen the stop screw on the handle, slide the jaw out, thread it though
the hole and back into the handle, and re-tighten the stop screw.

And I used it a *lot* of aluminum which was a bit thicker than
it was designed for. I had to file away the threads a bit on the stop
screw to allow the jaw to open enough to work with that gauge aluminum
(1/8" IIRC). I have replaced the bit a time or two, and acquired some
spare bits in a used pallet style tool case which I got a few years ago.

But I also have used a manually powered three-jaw one (nice for
cutting straight lines, a bit more awkward for tight curves, and have
since added two of the air powered ones which produce the nasty crescent
moons. Both of those came from eBAy -- and the larger one I was able to
get a corresponding replacement die set, too.

But for much of my sheet metal working, I use a DiAcro 24"
shear, a DiAcro 24" finger brake, and a no-name corner notcher, plus a
collection of Greenlee chassis punches, including a 1/2" D punch, a
15/32" key punch (for bat handle toggle switches), a square or two, a
rectangular one for P&B relay sockets, and even one for DB-25 connector
cutouts. :-) I recently discovered that the 15/32" key punch will work
in 16 ga mild steel.

And there is always the mill for strange shaped one-off holes.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I am going to have many straight cuts 48' long of 29 ga. paintlock. ...

Why didn't you say so? (Or did you & I didn't notice?) Forget nibblers &
shears - the ideal tool for this is a circular saw with a carbide metal
cutting blade. Tenryu, Morse, etc. It will fly through it.

Bob

I have tried a standard metal cutting blade, and it's just a lot of noise,
sparks, and it eats one blade per sheet. I do hear you that there is a
different blade that might be my answer. I will have about a $600 outlay
here in steel alone, and if this blade will do the simple job I need, it
will be worth it. I will need the other type shears and nibblers for other
type of work I'll be doing. But this will get me past this stage of the
project.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, December 31, 2011 at 4:43:08 PM UTC-5, Steve B wrote:
I have noticed there are two types of cutters for sheet metal. One a
nibbler, one a shear.

The one nibbler I see apparently cuts out small pieces, almost circles, and
imagine that would be for very fine work. The other "nibbler" has two
blades that are about 3/4" long that go up and down, pinching and shearing
the metal.

The third is a shear, much like a pair of electrified scissors.

A brief description of each and its use would be appreciated. When it comes
down to it, I will probably need all three for various stuff.

And lastly, I see some run on air. If one has a good compressor, is there
any important differences between the electric and air models?

This is going to run a few bucks, so wanted to ask first.

And is buying refurbished worth the savings or not? Problems later vs: new?

Steve

Hi Steve,

You should check out this video on youtube https://youtu.be/M2ceCfijw-0
Beverly Shear B1
It's the best bench top sheet metal shear I've seen. Expensive and tough to find, but very versatile!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 04:05:40 -0700 (PDT), Sue
wrote:

[...]

Does anyone have any experience with the HF version of the Beverly?
It's just $139 on sale right now.

I've been enamored of the Beverly for decades now, having used one
once, in another life.

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 06:32:02 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

snip

I've been enamored of the Beverly for decades now, having used one
once, in another life.

The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson

Bogus. Jefferson never said it.

http://tjrs.monticello.org/letter/1515

And, plonker that he is, Larry probably will never know it. He's a
curious case: intentional ignorance, in order to avoid the discomfort
of learning something that conflicts with your favorite myths.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 10:12:06 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson

Bogus. Jefferson never said it.

http://tjrs.monticello.org/letter/1515

Ed Huntress

Your site says they have no evidence that Jefferson said that and he probably did not say it. But no evidence that he said it , is not the same as evidence that he did not say it.

So " Bogus. Jefferson never said that " is not necessarily true.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

They are not bad. Need a Beverly? I find them every now and then.

Gunner, who hopes your trip home went well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim jim is offline

wrote:
On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 10:12:06 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson

Bogus. Jefferson never said it.

http://tjrs.monticello.org/letter/1515

Ed Huntress

Your site says they have no evidence that Jefferson said that and he probably did not say it. But no evidence that he said it , is not the same as evidence that he did not say it.

So " Bogus. Jefferson never said that " is not necessarily true.

Does the fact that the quote first appeared in 2007
make the "bogus" claim believable?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 09:48:39 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 10:12:06 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson

Bogus. Jefferson never said it.

http://tjrs.monticello.org/letter/1515

Ed Huntress

Your site says they have no evidence that Jefferson said that and he probably did not say it. But no evidence that he said it , is not the same as evidence that he did not say it.

So " Bogus. Jefferson never said that " is not necessarily true.

Dan

No, look closely at what you're looking at. That's the Monticello
group. They have access to virtually every word ever written by
Jefferson and preserved, at UVa, Princeton, Lib. of Congress, and
UMass, and some of the best researchers in the business. They're VERY
cautious about claiming spurious quotes, and they don't do it until
they've turned over every leaf.

The fact that it first appeared in a 2007 quote from a NOVEL titled
_On A Hill They Call Capital: A Revolution is Coming_, published by
"Freestate Press" with NO CITATION should give it away. The fact that
it appears in variants on the Web is more evidence that it's made up.
There are no citations attached to any of the quotes on the Web. Take
a look.

There are dozens of bogus Jefferson quotes around, many of them
created by the gun nutz. Here are some more regarding the second
amendment: http://tinyurl.com/ox7p9sk

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, grab one for me (cheap to free) for the next trip, please!
Next year?

Gunner, who hopes your trip home went well.

It did. Nobody stole anything out of the back of the truck, and only
one bucket overturned, spilling cutoff material all over the floor of
the bed. Luckily, it was all larger than the gap at the tailgate, or
I would have had a major lawsuit on my hands as small pieces of steel
bounced into windshields and punctured tires all along I-5. g

Couldn't find a 1" micrometer or the odd pair of parallels, eh?
Oh, and you didn't even mention the Current Project Trailer. bseg

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 3:21:36 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

It matters not. The fact that the Monticello group has access to everything known to be written by Jefferson does not change the logic. There still is no proof that Jefferson never said that.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 17:00:21 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

That's an example of the old addage, "Keep an open mind, but not so
open that your brains fall out."

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oh ****...sorry about that. I couldnt find your various
emails..missed the micrometer(s) and parallels.

Those however I can ship cheaply. Crom knows Ive got enough
mics..though am short on extra parallels

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/Metrology

Anything else in the above link you need?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Or, equally, no proof that he did say it. Therefore the statement
"that he did say it" is equally false.
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sue writes:

Hi Steve,

You should check out this video on youtube
https://youtu.be/M2ceCfijw-0 Beverly Shear B1 It's the best bench
top sheet metal shear I've seen. Expensive and tough to find, but
very versatile!

One of my best scores ever was finding a Beverly B3 cheap when I was
on the road with a backpack. I went over to the nearest hardware
store for a spool of twine and a suitcase handle. Put the B3 lever in
my pack, lashed the suitcase handle to the shear and finished the trip
with the B3 as luggage.

I have a Bosch nibbler that's good for up to 16 ga. steel. Makes a
nice cut but I find it real hard to follow a line, either drawn curves
or straight with a clamped-on guide. I use it mostly for whacking a
rough piece out of 16 ga. that will be less awkward to manage than a
4x4 or 4x8 sheet, then take the rough piece to the B3 to cut the
finished shape. Blades need sharpening after 35 years, leaves an
annoying burr that it didn't used to.

Oh, and the nibbler leaves these horrible little pointy crescents of
steel all over the place.

Go for a Beverly if you can find one to match your budget.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike Spencer wrote:

Sue writes:

[...]

How flat does steel cut in a shear like that come out? Any curl at all?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader writes:

Mike Spencer wrote:

One of my best scores ever was finding a Beverly B3 cheap when I was
on the road with a backpack.
Go for a Beverly if you can find one to match your budget.

How flat does steel cut in a shear like that come out? Any curl at all?

For pieces several inches in both dimensions, very little. A kidney-
or rose-petal-shaped piece half the size of a place mat in 16
ga. comes out pretty flat.

For making narrow strips, e.g, 1" x 20", quite a lot.

Annoying, but my old cast iron 3' treadle shear won't do 16 ga. Always
use it for straight cuts in lighter material.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Then I could just as well say that Thomas Jefferson said: "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

An interesting comment. Seemingly an open mind believes, with no
evidence, that someone might have said something while a closed mind
believes, equally without evidence, that he might not have said
something.

And the fact that you don't see the irony in what you write is
evidence of what?
--
cheers,

John B.