Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drilling Phenolic

How do you drill clean holes in linen-filled phenolic?

I'll admit that I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking that if I use a
regular twist drill it'll be chip city.

It's 1/8" thick flat material, I'm planning on some 3/32" holes and some
1/4" holes.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/20/2011 7:08 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
How do you drill clean holes in linen-filled phenolic?

I'll admit that I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking that if I use a
regular twist drill it'll be chip city.

It's 1/8" thick flat material, I'm planning on some 3/32" holes and some
1/4" holes.

Brad-point or brad and spur drill bits.

http://www.wlfuller.com/html/brad_point_drills.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 20, 5:08*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
How do you drill clean holes in linen-filled phenolic?

I'll admit that I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking that if I use a
regular twist drill it'll be chip city.

It's 1/8" thick flat material, I'm planning on some 3/32" holes and some
1/4" holes.

Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Softwarehttp://www.wescottdesign.com

I've done some of that, if you use regular metal bits, it'll lift
layers and chip. Best way I've found with the paper-based stuff is to
use regular brad point wood bits at slower speeds, drill until the
point just breaks through, then flip and drill back the opposite
direction. Same as I do with hardwood plywood. Use a mask, it's not
healthy to inhale the dust. Nasty stuff. Get good high-speed steel
bits, carbon steel ones won't last long. It's sometimes hard to find
ones that are marked HSS, they'll charge you the same price but slip
you carbon steel ones. For most woodworking, the casual woodworker
couldn't tell the difference.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
How do you drill clean holes in linen-filled phenolic?

I'll admit that I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking that if I use a
regular twist drill it'll be chip city.

It's 1/8" thick flat material, I'm planning on some 3/32" holes and some
1/4" holes.

http://www.wescottdesign.com

Clamp it between 2 pcs of wood and drill thru the sandwich.
This works a charm for plastics, fiberglass, leather, thin metal
sheets, etc.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
How do you drill clean holes in linen-filled phenolic?

I'll admit that I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking that if I use a
regular twist drill it'll be chip city.

It's 1/8" thick flat material, I'm planning on some 3/32" holes and some
1/4" holes.

Small-ish pilot, then an endmill?
Whatever method, do from both sides?
Or sandwich each pc between wood, or sandwich a stack, well-clamped.

High-ish rpm might help, 3K+.
--
EA

http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 18:08:39 -0600, the renowned Tim Wescott
wrote:

How do you drill clean holes in linen-filled phenolic?

I'll admit that I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking that if I use a
regular twist drill it'll be chip city.

It's 1/8" thick flat material, I'm planning on some 3/32" holes and some
1/4" holes.

You've got thin material that will ride up the drill unless clamped
securely and backed up with sacrificial material. Might be okay with
maximum spindle RPM (8000+ isn't too fast with carbide), particularly
if you drill a smallish pilot hole first.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Tim Wescott wrote:

How do you drill clean holes in linen-filled phenolic?

I'll admit that I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking that if I use a
regular twist drill it'll be chip city.

It's 1/8" thick flat material, I'm planning on some 3/32" holes and some
1/4" holes.

It's been a few decades, but it actually machines quite well. As the
inexpensive, non-magnetic, reasonably strong insulating material of
choice I used a LOT of in in various plasma-physics related work. Sharp
tools - and carbide is a good idea, as it makes most softer tools dull
quickly (but they will be fine if you're only doing a few holes and they
are sharp to begin with.)

1/8" is a bit on the thin side.

If you do have problems with drills, try end-cutting endmills, solid
carbide, - if you don't have a mill, in a plunge router clamped to the
work (get 1/4" shank endmills so you can find a router collet to fit.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/21/2011 2:08, Tim Wescott wrote:
How do you drill clean holes in linen-filled phenolic?

I'll admit that I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking that if I use a
regular twist drill it'll be chip city.

It's 1/8" thick flat material, I'm planning on some 3/32" holes and some
1/4" holes.

Just try it with a normal drill. I won't be surprised if it works
very well. I have never had any problem machining such phenolic
plate, very easy material. No problems with chipping or delamination.

The smell is easy to recognize too.

Kristian Ukkonen.