Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where to buy 320 grit 3 x 18 sanding belts?

I'm not seeing the OP (frequently happens with this hack/spitVistablows and
APN), so I'll add a comment here.

If JD could find a roll of 3" wide abrasive with a suitable backing, it's
not too difficult to make belts.
I've used a hard hone stone to knock off about 1/8" of the grit from the
angle-cut ends cut from roll stock, which then provides a thin backing
margin which can be overlapped without creating a hump.
Superglue or other adhesive that's not particularly sensitive to heat, can
be used to glue the overlap. Apply glue, compress with a clamp so the belt
is flat and straight (like one does when welding a bandsaw blade).

Whether this method will be suitable for the intended use depends upon the
application, but for working with wood it works fine IME.

--
WB

On 11/23/2011 1:48 PM, John Doe wrote:
I need a 320 grit or higher 3" x 18" sanding belt. Or a
variety/assortment pack that includes at least one 320 grit
sanding belt. Amazon has 10 for $21 (shipped), but here that would
be a waste of about eight of those belts. I need at most two or
three, and can get by with one for now. I don't mind paying more
per belt for fewer belts.

Or maybe I should just pay the $21 and forget about the waste of
belts.

Thanks.