Rebuild Bosch cordless drill batteries?

Old November 24th 11, 08:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rebuild Bosch cordless drill batteries?

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 21:48:21 -0500, Joseph Gwinn

Gerald Miller wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:44:32 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

I have a perfectly good Bosch 18-volt model 3850 cordless drill that I
bought new for $200 in June 2000 at a closeout sale that is getting weak
as the batteries wear out. The batteries (model 2 610995 894) are NiMH
construction.

Bosch sells replacement batteries for $120 list each, and I need two.

http://store.boschpowertoolsource.com/boba18voba.html

But $240 is a good fraction of the price to simply buy another cordless
drill, so Bosch batteries are not going to happen.

There was a company that rebuilds tool batteries for far less. Who was
it?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Went to the local Borg to pick up a 2 x 4 and while there I took a
quick look to price a replacement 18V. De Walt battery since I have
one that needs a rebuild. Sure enough, there are the 18V XRP batteries
on the display tagged @ $119.00. next hook over are 2 packs priced
$99.00 each, (was $179.00). Took a 2 pack to the check out and sure
enough it went through for $99.00. Best price I've seen for rebuild is
$58.00.

I assume these are all De Walt batteries. I don't recall that the Borg
has Bosch battery packs.

Joe Gwinn

Yes, De Walt. I don't recall Bosch, but then, I wasn't looking for
them.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old November 24th 11, 11:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:19:55 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,
"Denis G." wrote:

On Nov 23, 12:44*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a perfectly good Bosch 18-volt model 3850 cordless drill that I
bought new for $200 in June 2000 at a closeout sale that is getting weak
as the batteries wear out. *The batteries (model 2 610995 894) are NiMH
construction.

Bosch sells replacement batteries for $120 list each, and I need two.

*http://store.boschpowertoolsource.com/boba18voba.html

But $240 is a good fraction of the price to simply buy another cordless
drill, so Bosch batteries are not going to happen.

There was a company that rebuilds tool batteries for far less. *Who was
it?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

There was a thread about this on Mar 18th [2011]. Link: http://tinyurl.com/745lrdj

Two rebuilders mentioned we
http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm
http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/servlet/StoreFront

I did recall that there was such a thread, but didn't recall enough to
find it, but you did recall. For the record, the subject was "Sawsall
batteries" and the thread started on 17 March 2011 (for when the tiny
url quits working.)

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Ive used Batteries Plus a fair number of times..for machine tool
Ram/Cmos batteries. Haas wanted $300 for a battery pack that I bought
for .....$30

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Old November 24th 11, 04:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:19:55 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,
"Denis G." wrote:

[...]

$300? Rape!

There is a new BatteriesPlus store near me. Think I'll wander in.

Joe Gwinn
Old November 24th 11, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

+1 on www.primecell.com, I've had them rebuild about 7 DeWalt 12V and 14.4V
packs at work and the rebuilds last at least as long as the originals
(charge and # of cycles). They say they can deal with glued-together packs,
and they get $48 to rebuild a NiCd pack which is only a $3 savings on those
XRP packs you found - great find! I rebuilt a couple of DeWalts using the
cheapest cells I could find (www.all-battery.com) and Primecell's price is
about what those cells cost, plus the hour or so of my time per pack
learning a new skill :-).

Remember to stop using a battery as soon as you detect your tool beginning
to slow down. The higher the pack voltage the more critical this is. If
you take it all the way down so the tool stalls you are virtually guaranteed
to be reverse charging (and thus damaging) at least one cell.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Old November 24th 11, 08:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:17:46 -0500, Joseph Gwinn

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:19:55 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,
"Denis G." wrote:

[...]

In the machine tool industry...take a fitting/device, multiply it by 5x
to 10x and then sell it as OEM equipment.

Most of you guys are not aware of the costs involved in keeping current
machinery alive and operational.

There are no "discounts" when it comes to CNC machines or their parts.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Old November 24th 11, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:19:55 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,
"Denis G." wrote:

[...]

Like the control panel for that INECO bender. $700, and all it is is
an interface board, $3 LCD and a $69 (Retail) Rabbit Semiconductor
RCM2000 computer board that you can buy from Digikey.

Old November 24th 11, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:19:55 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,
"Denis G." wrote:

[...]

ayup.

Gunner Asch
Old November 25th 11, 02:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Carl Ijames" wrote:

+1 on www.primecell.com, I've had them rebuild about 7 DeWalt 12V and 14.4V
packs at work and the rebuilds last at least as long as the originals
(charge and # of cycles). They say they can deal with glued-together packs,
and they get $48 to rebuild a NiCd pack which is only a $3 savings on those
XRP packs you found - great find! I rebuilt a couple of DeWalts using the
cheapest cells I could find (www.all-battery.com) and Primecell's price is
about what those cells cost, plus the hour or so of my time per pack
learning a new skill :-).

I have been leaning towards Primecell.

Remember to stop using a battery as soon as you detect your tool beginning
to slow down. The higher the pack voltage the more critical this is. If
you take it all the way down so the tool stalls you are virtually guaranteed
to be reverse charging (and thus damaging) at least one cell.

Yes. Makes sense, and I learned about this probably 30 years ago, from
battery handbooks from the manufacturers. Actually, they recommended
putting a diode around each cell, to prevent damage from forward
charging. Diodes were expensive then, so few people did this, but it
may now make sense.

Joe Gwinn

-----

Old November 26th 11, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a perfectly good Bosch 18-volt model 3850 cordless drill that I
bought new for $200 in June 2000 at a closeout sale that is getting weak
as the batteries wear out. The batteries (model 2 610995 894) are NiMH
construction.

Bosch sells replacement batteries for $120 list each, and I need two.

http://store.boschpowertoolsource.com/boba18voba.html

But $240 is a good fraction of the price to simply buy another cordless
drill, so Bosch batteries are not going to happen.

There was a company that rebuilds tool batteries for far less. Who was
it?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Well, the local "Batteries Plus" outlet offered to rebuild my DeWalt
18V XRP packs for $65 each "with far better quality cells than the new
ones" and it is tempting... But every Christmas season DeWalt runs a
"Two Pack" special on batteries, 2 for $99.

Point one, go looking for sales like that, now's the time. Even with
off names (In the US) like Bosch - Yeah, they bought Skil...

Point two, your old packs can be rebuilt, but let someone with the
fancy cell connector spot-welder assemble them.

I let X (name sounds like "Interstate Battery") rebuild my Ryobi 14.4v
nicad battery and it was as gutless as the original, then it died
(lost all charge after a day or two, full charge good only for a
couple minutes) less than a year later. Most places upgrade the mAh
rating but I think IB used the same or lesser capacity cells. I
wasn't thrilled.

Point Three, check if they interchange. Especially store branded like
Sears - I started saving $20 a battery pack when I realized my old
Craftsman cordless drill was really a Skil.

Oh, and as an aside Batteries Plus is the only place I've found that
stocks the High Rate SLA batteries for UPS's and you just go in and
grab one. A $42 battery beats a $99 new UPS. (At Costco - a 1000VA
at retail would be ~$140)

But how do you determine the effectiveness of the used protection
circuitry in rebuilt UPSes? I put a new battery ($17, 7Ah LA) in my
old UPS and about 5 years later, the test switch died. I figured it
was time for a whole new UPS at that point. AFAIK, there is no way to
test for damaged or almost-used-up MOVs, etc.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck