Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rebuild Bosch cordless drill batteries?

I have a perfectly good Bosch 18-volt model 3850 cordless drill that I
bought new for $200 in June 2000 at a closeout sale that is getting weak
as the batteries wear out. The batteries (model 2 610995 894) are NiMH
construction.

Bosch sells replacement batteries for $120 list each, and I need two.

http://store.boschpowertoolsource.com/boba18voba.html

But $240 is a good fraction of the price to simply buy another cordless
drill, so Bosch batteries are not going to happen.

There was a company that rebuilds tool batteries for far less. Who was
it?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 23, 12:44*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a perfectly good Bosch 18-volt model 3850 cordless drill that I
bought new for $200 in June 2000 at a closeout sale that is getting weak
as the batteries wear out. *The batteries (model 2 610995 894) are NiMH
construction.

Bosch sells replacement batteries for $120 list each, and I need two.

*http://store.boschpowertoolsource.com/boba18voba.html

But $240 is a good fraction of the price to simply buy another cordless
drill, so Bosch batteries are not going to happen.

There was a company that rebuilds tool batteries for far less. *Who was
it?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

I suspect that if you do a search for "sub-c batteries" you will fine
a source for the batteries that are inside your battery pack. If your
pack is like the ones I have opened the batteries are likely soldered
together-an easy job to replace IF you can get the case apart. Mine
were screwed together but others I have seen were glues. Good luck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:44:32 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

I have a perfectly good Bosch 18-volt model 3850 cordless drill that I
bought new for $200 in June 2000 at a closeout sale that is getting weak
as the batteries wear out. The batteries (model 2 610995 894) are NiMH
construction.

Bosch sells replacement batteries for $120 list each, and I need two.

http://store.boschpowertoolsource.com/boba18voba.html

But $240 is a good fraction of the price to simply buy another cordless
drill, so Bosch batteries are not going to happen.

There was a company that rebuilds tool batteries for far less. Who was
it?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Well, the local "Batteries Plus" outlet offered to rebuild my DeWalt
18V XRP packs for $65 each "with far better quality cells than the new
ones" and it is tempting... But every Christmas season DeWalt runs a
"Two Pack" special on batteries, 2 for $99.

Point one, go looking for sales like that, now's the time. Even with
off names (In the US) like Bosch - Yeah, they bought Skil...

Point two, your old packs can be rebuilt, but let someone with the
fancy cell connector spot-welder assemble them.

Point Three, check if they interchange. Especially store branded like
Sears - I started saving $20 a battery pack when I realized my old
Craftsman cordless drill was really a Skil.

Oh, and as an aside Batteries Plus is the only place I've found that
stocks the High Rate SLA batteries for UPS's and you just go in and
grab one. A $42 battery beats a $99 new UPS. (At Costco - a 1000VA
at retail would be ~$140)

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

I have a perfectly good Bosch 18-volt model 3850 cordless drill that I
bought new for $200 in June 2000 at a closeout sale that is getting weak
as the batteries wear out. The batteries (model 2 610995 894) are NiMH
construction.

There was a company that rebuilds tool batteries for far less. Who was
it?

There are at least a few that do that, google will find them, or people
will eventually post which ones they have used and liked/hated.

When I was rebattery-ing my Bosch 12V, I found at that time (2003?) that
replacement batteries (not Bosch brand, but fit and worked fine) from
suburban electronics cost less than having them rebuilt, and for a while
I had two still-semi-usable Bosch batteries to back up the new ones.
That may or may not currently be true. At this point the replacements
have crapped out (lasted longer than the originals) but it's time for a
whole new drill this time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

wrote:

[...]

Hmm. There is a brand new BatteriesPlus outlet in Framingham, MA, which
is near me. I should wander over and get a quote.

I'm wondering if the sales will cover batteries ten years old, but you
never know. And drills will be on sale as well.

Iv'e had the same experience with Sears, getting a repair manual for a
GE clothes washer: Sears was $20 more expensive.

Bosch makes their own stuff, so I doubt their batteries cross with
anything else. But someone on the newsgroup will know.

The batteries appear to be glued together.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal fired this volley
in :

At this point the replacements
have crapped out (lasted longer than the originals) but it's time for a
whole new drill this time.

I usually wear out a drill in about two sets of batteries. I'm not
"careful" with tools. If they can't take it, they can't take it.
Nothing "ginger" ever is done with mine. Even $300 every two years isn't
a lot if you use the thing several times a day.

I built a whole house with one DeWalt Pro (and it's still sort of
"crippling" along.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 23, 12:44*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a perfectly good Bosch 18-volt model 3850 cordless drill that I
bought new for $200 in June 2000 at a closeout sale that is getting weak
as the batteries wear out. *The batteries (model 2 610995 894) are NiMH
construction.

Bosch sells replacement batteries for $120 list each, and I need two.

*http://store.boschpowertoolsource.com/boba18voba.html

But $240 is a good fraction of the price to simply buy another cordless
drill, so Bosch batteries are not going to happen.

There was a company that rebuilds tool batteries for far less. *Who was
it?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

There was a thread about this on Mar 18th. Link: http://tinyurl.com/745lrdj

Two rebuilders mentioned we
http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm
http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/servlet/StoreFront
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ecnerwal fired this volley
in :

At this point the replacements
have crapped out (lasted longer than the originals) but it's time for a
whole new drill this time.

I usually wear out a drill in about two sets of batteries. I'm not
"careful" with tools. If they can't take it, they can't take it.
Nothing "ginger" ever is done with mine. Even $300 every two years isn't
a lot if you use the thing several times a day.

I built a whole house with one DeWalt Pro (and it's still sort of
"crippling" along.

I don't use a hand drill that often these days, but I don't baby them
either, so my real issue is if it's ready when needed.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,

There was a thread about this on Mar 18th [2011]. Link: http://tinyurl.com/745lrdj

Two rebuilders mentioned we
http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm
http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/servlet/StoreFront

I did recall that there was such a thread, but didn't recall enough to
find it, but you did recall. For the record, the subject was "Sawsall
batteries" and the thread started on 17 March 2011 (for when the tiny
url quits working.)

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

[...]

You do pay for the brand name, and can often do better rebuilding the
battery pack with better grade and (if possible) larger cells.

The Bosch battery packs are glued together, so it may not be easy to
reassemble them.

While I don't have a spot welder for attaching tabs to cells, one can
usually buy the cells with tabs already installed. (Soldering directly
to a cell is likely to ruin it from overheating.) Or, one can use a
large capacitor charged to a few hundred volts to weld a wire to the
cell. (This is the traditional thermocouple welder design. Fancy
welders do the work under an argon blanket.)

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PRIMECELL rebuilds your packs with better than original
batteries,
excellent service, reasonable price

http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ecnerwal"
wrote in message
In article
,
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

[...]

Please don't feed the trolls. Killfile and ignore them so
they will go away.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

thanks. I could find Primecell, but not the other one.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Denis G." wrote in message

There was a thread about this on Mar 18th. Link:
http://tinyurl.com/745lrdj

Two rebuilders mentioned we
http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm
http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/servlet/StoreFront

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ecnerwal fired this volley
in :

At this point the replacements
have crapped out (lasted longer than the originals) but it's time for a
whole new drill this time.

I usually wear out a drill in about two sets of batteries. I'm not
"careful" with tools. If they can't take it, they can't take it.
Nothing "ginger" ever is done with mine. Even $300 every two years isn't
a lot if you use the thing several times a day.

For the 12V Bosch, that's exactly the point - there's now enough wear on
the geartrain/clutch that fresh batteries are a dubious investment.
Since it _is_ a 12V, I will probably convert one pack into a 12V fused
power cord for "short-range corded" use with cars or car batteries,
until it gives up the ghost for good. Mind you, what to buy next is a
fraught question, which is part of what has kept it limping along as
long as it has - but up to last summer the two newer batteries were
still pretty usable, though not for as long as when they were new.

I'll get less than one "battery" from my brace and bit, but that's
because I'm the battery and won't be around to use it. Is handy when all
the electric batteries are dead, and lighter to carry into the woods,
too. I've yanked it out when people were doofing about waiting for their
18-24V batteries to charge and kept right on driving things. Probably
all of them (I have a few, in different sweeps, or "gear ratios" as well
as several of the standard 10" so multiple bits can be swapped between
without waiting to swap bits) are older than I am already, so they are
fine for many sets of "batteries".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a perfectly good Bosch 18-volt model 3850 cordless drill that I
bought new for $200 in June 2000 at a closeout sale that is getting weak
as the batteries wear out. The batteries (model 2 610995 894) are NiMH
construction.

Bosch sells replacement batteries for $120 list each, and I need two.

http://store.boschpowertoolsource.com/boba18voba.html

But $240 is a good fraction of the price to simply buy another cordless
drill, so Bosch batteries are not going to happen.

There was a company that rebuilds tool batteries for far less. Who was
it?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Went to the local Borg to pick up a 2 x 4 and while there I took a
quick look to price a replacement 18V. De Walt battery since I have
one that needs a rebuild. Sure enough, there are the 18V XRP batteries
on the display tagged @ $119.00. next hook over are 2 packs priced
$99.00 each, (was $179.00). Took a 2 pack to the check out and sure
enough it went through for $99.00. Best price I've seen for rebuild is
$58.00.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a perfectly good Bosch 18-volt model 3850 cordless drill that I
bought new for $200 in June 2000 at a closeout sale that is getting weak
as the batteries wear out. The batteries (model 2 610995 894) are NiMH
construction.

Bosch sells replacement batteries for $120 list each, and I need two.

http://store.boschpowertoolsource.com/boba18voba.html

But $240 is a good fraction of the price to simply buy another cordless
drill, so Bosch batteries are not going to happen.

There was a company that rebuilds tool batteries for far less. Who was
it?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

If you're gonna buy a new drill, what are your thoughts on Ridgid.
They have a lifetime warranty that includes the battery.
I'm tempted to go that way, just concerned that their lifetime
will be less than mine rendering the lifetime warranty impotent.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , mike
wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
[...]

I have not really studied the market for drills, although the impression
I have from reading reviews of late is that Milwaukee is the best
choice, but by a nose.

That said, Ridgid is trying to break into the power hand tool market,
and they certainly are a respected brand in Plumbing. They mean well,
but it may take a generation or two for them to achieve parity.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I assume these are all De Walt batteries. I don't recall that the Borg
has Bosch battery packs.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/23/2011 1:44 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a perfectly good Bosch 18-volt model 3850 cordless drill that I
bought new for $200 in June 2000 at a closeout sale that is getting weak
as the batteries wear out. The batteries (model 2 610995 894) are NiMH
construction.

Bosch sells replacement batteries for $120 list each, and I need two.

http://store.boschpowertoolsource.com/boba18voba.html

But $240 is a good fraction of the price to simply buy another cordless
drill, so Bosch batteries are not going to happen.

There was a company that rebuilds tool batteries for far less. Who was
it?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

These guys have done a great job on my production tools for years.
http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/servlet/StoreFront

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

On 11/23/2011 1:44 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a perfectly good Bosch 18-volt model 3850 cordless drill that I
bought new for $200 in June 2000 at a closeout sale that is getting weak
as the batteries wear out. The batteries (model 2 610995 894) are NiMH
construction.

Bosch sells replacement batteries for $120 list each, and I need two.

http://store.boschpowertoolsource.com/boba18voba.html

But $240 is a good fraction of the price to simply buy another cordless
drill, so Bosch batteries are not going to happen.

There was a company that rebuilds tool batteries for far less. Who was
it?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

These guys have done a great job on my production tools for years.
http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/servlet/StoreFront

Both VoltmanBatteries and Primacell get very good reviews from HSM
inmates. What is tilting me towards Primacell is the following magazine
article:

http://www.primecell.com/magreports.htm

Read the box on the lower right side, where the test results are the
VoltmanBatteries and PorterCable (the OEM) achieve 8.5 holes with one
battery, while Primacell achieves 9.5 holes, or 12.5% more.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In ,
[...]

I'm still really happy with the 9.6 V Makita
batteries that primecell.com rebuilt for me back
in March. Highly recommended.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 21:48:21 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yes, De Walt. I don't recall Bosch, but then, I wasn't looking for
them.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:19:55 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,
"Denis G." wrote:

[...]

Ive used Batteries Plus a fair number of times..for machine tool
Ram/Cmos batteries. Haas wanted $300 for a battery pack that I bought
for .....$30

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:19:55 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,
"Denis G." wrote:

[...]

$300? Rape!

There is a new BatteriesPlus store near me. Think I'll wander in.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

+1 on www.primecell.com, I've had them rebuild about 7 DeWalt 12V and 14.4V
packs at work and the rebuilds last at least as long as the originals
(charge and # of cycles). They say they can deal with glued-together packs,
and they get $48 to rebuild a NiCd pack which is only a $3 savings on those
XRP packs you found - great find! I rebuilt a couple of DeWalts using the
cheapest cells I could find (www.all-battery.com) and Primecell's price is
about what those cells cost, plus the hour or so of my time per pack
learning a new skill :-).

Remember to stop using a battery as soon as you detect your tool beginning
to slow down. The higher the pack voltage the more critical this is. If
you take it all the way down so the tool stalls you are virtually guaranteed
to be reverse charging (and thus damaging) at least one cell.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:17:46 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:19:55 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,
"Denis G." wrote:

[...]

In the machine tool industry...take a fitting/device, multiply it by 5x
to 10x and then sell it as OEM equipment.

Most of you guys are not aware of the costs involved in keeping current
machinery alive and operational.

There are no "discounts" when it comes to CNC machines or their parts.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:17:46 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:19:55 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,
"Denis G." wrote:

[...]

Like the control panel for that INECO bender. $700, and all it is is
an interface board, $3 LCD and a $69 (Retail) Rabbit Semiconductor
RCM2000 computer board that you can buy from Digikey.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 15:04:13 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:17:46 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:19:55 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,
"Denis G." wrote:

[...]

ayup.

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Carl Ijames" wrote:

+1 on www.primecell.com, I've had them rebuild about 7 DeWalt 12V and 14.4V
packs at work and the rebuilds last at least as long as the originals
(charge and # of cycles). They say they can deal with glued-together packs,
and they get $48 to rebuild a NiCd pack which is only a $3 savings on those
XRP packs you found - great find! I rebuilt a couple of DeWalts using the
cheapest cells I could find (www.all-battery.com) and Primecell's price is
about what those cells cost, plus the hour or so of my time per pack
learning a new skill :-).

I have been leaning towards Primecell.

Remember to stop using a battery as soon as you detect your tool beginning
to slow down. The higher the pack voltage the more critical this is. If
you take it all the way down so the tool stalls you are virtually guaranteed
to be reverse charging (and thus damaging) at least one cell.

Yes. Makes sense, and I learned about this probably 30 years ago, from
battery handbooks from the manufacturers. Actually, they recommended
putting a diode around each cell, to prevent damage from forward
charging. Diodes were expensive then, so few people did this, but it
may now make sense.

Joe Gwinn

-----

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I let X (name sounds like "Interstate Battery") rebuild my Ryobi 14.4v
nicad battery and it was as gutless as the original, then it died
(lost all charge after a day or two, full charge good only for a
couple minutes) less than a year later. Most places upgrade the mAh
rating but I think IB used the same or lesser capacity cells. I
wasn't thrilled.

Point Three, check if they interchange. Especially store branded like
Sears - I started saving $20 a battery pack when I realized my old
Craftsman cordless drill was really a Skil.

Oh, and as an aside Batteries Plus is the only place I've found that
stocks the High Rate SLA batteries for UPS's and you just go in and
grab one. A $42 battery beats a $99 new UPS. (At Costco - a 1000VA
at retail would be ~$140)

But how do you determine the effectiveness of the used protection
circuitry in rebuilt UPSes? I put a new battery ($17, 7Ah LA) in my
old UPS and about 5 years later, the test switch died. I figured it
was time for a whole new UPS at that point. AFAIK, there is no way to
test for damaged or almost-used-up MOVs, etc.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

But how do you determine the effectiveness of the used protection
circuitry in rebuilt UPSes? I put a new battery ($17, 7Ah LA) in my
old UPS and about 5 years later, the test switch died. I figured it
was time for a whole new UPS at that point. AFAIK, there is no way to
test for damaged or almost-used-up MOVs, etc.

Then plug a surge protector into the outlet feeding the UPS. Or learn
to solder and spend a couple dollars for new MOV or Transorbs.