Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What grease to use on forklift axle/wheel bearing

I received all the brake parts that I need to fix the brakes on the
outdoor Cat forklift. I just wanted to ask what is the proper grease
to use around the Timken wheel bearing. Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus30836 wrote:

I received all the brake parts that I need to fix the brakes on the
outdoor Cat forklift. I just wanted to ask what is the proper grease
to use around the Timken wheel bearing. Thanks.

Any good wheel bearing grease should be fine, it's not like it's a high
speed bearing. I'd go with a good synthetic grease personally, I've had
great luck with all the Mobil 1 products over the years.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 08:15:53 -0600, Ignoramus30836
wrote:

I received all the brake parts that I need to fix the brakes on the
outdoor Cat forklift. I just wanted to ask what is the proper grease
to use around the Timken wheel bearing. Thanks.

whatever wally world has on sale...

What did you find on the side shift?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I received all the brake parts that I need to fix the brakes on the
outdoor Cat forklift. I just wanted to ask what is the proper grease
to use around the Timken wheel bearing. Thanks.

You really need to find a service manual for that CAT, Ig.
It'll answer all those questions you've posed and more.
Doesn't CAT have those (service or owner's manuals) online?
Is it a real CAT or a Mitsubishi/CAT lift?

In any case, it'll be a high-pressure wheel bearing grease.

--
Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery.
-- Matthew Arnold
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/10/2011 10:04 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus30836 wrote:

I received all the brake parts that I need to fix the brakes on the
outdoor Cat forklift. I just wanted to ask what is the proper grease
to use around the Timken wheel bearing. Thanks.

Any good wheel bearing grease should be fine, it's not like it's a high
speed bearing. I'd go with a good synthetic grease personally, I've had
great luck with all the Mobil 1 products over the years.

I like "Mobil I" products also. In some instances it's overkill and
expensive but it's my standard and in critical applications it shines.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
bw bw is offline

"Ignoramus30836" wrote in message
I received all the brake parts that I need to fix the brakes on the
outdoor Cat forklift. I just wanted to ask what is the proper grease
to use around the Timken wheel bearing. Thanks.

http://www.timken.com/en-us/products...s/default.aspx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I received all the brake parts that I need to fix the brakes on the
outdoor Cat forklift. I just wanted to ask what is the proper grease
to use around the Timken wheel bearing. Thanks.

Either a black or blue Lithium High Pressure grease should work -
the blue stuff is more waterproof for boats. But that's only an
educated guess.

Get hold of the Service Manual for the forklift. It will have all
that information in the Maintenance section, and a whole lot more.

Even shows the entire repair process broken down into steps, so you
don't have mystery parts left over when you're done.

-- Bruce --