Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT-Wrong Time

Congressman King introduces legislation to place duties on Chinese
merchandise for violations of United States intellectual property rights

Washington, D.C.- Congressman Steve King (R-IA) released the following
statement after introducing legislation today that punishes the People's
Republic of China for its failure to protect the holders of United States
intellectual property rights. King's legislation, H.R. 3375, directs the
President to impose duties on merchandise from China in an amount equivalent
to the estimated annual loss of revenue to holders of United States
intellectual property rights as a result of violations of such intellectual
property rights in China. Under King's bill, the revenue raised by the
imposition of duties on Chinese merchandise will be proportionally
distributed to provide compensation to holders of United States intellectual
property rights.

"The creative genius of Americans, protected by our copyrights, trademarks
and patents, is systematically being pirated by the Chinese whose government
appears to be complicit," said King. "My bill levies a duty on all Chinese
imports in an amount necessary to both pay U.S. property rights holders for
their stolen intellectual property and to administer the program. In short,
it says to the Chinese: 'Go ahead and steal U.S. intellectual property-we
will do what you have refused to do and pay American innovators their due
from the duties on Chinese goods.'"

http://steveking.house.gov/

Is this realy a good idea at this time when so many americans are out of
work and depend on low cost imports just to survive? So what happens if this
becomes law, prices will rise on chinese imports and be passed along to
consumers

IP theft will not be stopped.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/8/2011 5:55 PM, azotic wrote:

[...]

Cheap goods are more expensive! Buy American made goods if you can FIND
them, if you can't, demand them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message
[...]

Problem is most americans do not understand quality and only look at price.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Howard Beal" wrote in message

[...]

As long as there exists a ready supply of buyers for counterfiet and patent
in fringement crap products then there will no lack of suppliers standing in
line--toss the buyers into jail--wal mart would be a pretty good place to
start

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 14:55:29 -0800, "azotic"
wrote:

[...]

I'll give you odds that the money won't be paid to those who lost it
by the int'l theft, either. It'll go into the General Fund, later
used to fly more congresscritters to Vegas, where they snort their
coke from the belly buttons of legal HOs. sigh

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 8, 5:55*pm, "azotic" wrote:

[...]

Is this realy a good idea at this time when so many americans are out of
work and depend on low cost imports just to survive? So what happens if this
becomes law, prices will rise on chinese imports and be passed along to
consumers

IP theft will not be stopped.

Best Regards
Tom.
--http://fija.org/

Several years ago, I saw a "60 Minutes" - type show about Chinese
copies. They showed, for instance a Jeep, complete with logo, which
was totally copied by a Chinese factory. They also showed the patent
enforcement office. It was two guys in a small office, sharing a
single telephone.

I don't hold out any hope at all of this working, and yes, a trade war
is something we really don't want, nor can we afford at this time.
Tarriffs are certainly something that should be implemented in the
future, but they'd have to be eased into gently.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I'll give you odds that the money won't be paid to those who lost it
by the int'l theft, either. It'll go into the General Fund, later
used to fly more congresscritters to Vegas, where they snort their
coke from the belly buttons of legal HOs. sigh

I think you are being way too optimistic there.
And I'm not being sarcastic either.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 17:54:41 -0800, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message
m...
[...]

Yes, I've noticed the frequent references to Harbour Freight :-)

--
John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What's next? You'll tell me there is no social security lock
box?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message ...

I'll give you odds that the money won't be paid to those who
lost it
by the int'l theft, either. It'll go into the General Fund,
later
used to fly more congresscritters to Vegas, where they snort
their
coke from the belly buttons of legal HOs. sigh

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
-- Louis L'Amour

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/8/2011 2:55 PM, azotic wrote:

[...]

If now is not a good time to enforce the laws we already have on the
books when would be a good time to start? The Chinese know the rules and
break them all the time. I don't know why we aren't forcing them to play
by the same rules as everyone else, well, actually I do. It's all about
the money. But even so. The laws are there and should be enforced if
they are on the books. If the Chinese don't want to play fair then you
have to make them. Either that or we start breaking the rules just like
they do and see if they like that any better.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 10:16:59 -0800, Hawke
wrote:

[...]

The problem is in quantifying these things. We hear about all the
money lost due to IP theft but in most cases we don't hear how this
figure was arrived at. Is it really umpteen-gazillions?

One example, that I am familiar with, is computer software. The
Business Software Alliance (BSA) used to get a lot of newspaper
coverage in Bangkok 20 years ago with their announcements about the
millions lost due to copied software in Thailand, based, I suspect, on
copied software seized in police raids.

At the time I was free lancing some articles on computers to the
Bangkok Post and decided to write an article about the BSA. Attempting
to determine how these amazing numbers, quoted in the newspapers, were
arrived at I first contacted the BSA. I was never able to find a
single thing about their estimates. They either refused to discuss it
or put me off, "Mr. Jones is out of the office".

So, I went to the pirate software guys (some of whom I knew slightly)
who told me that people came in and bought say, one copy of Word, one
of Wordperfect, one of Magic Pencil. In other words, far more software
than they logically could use. And this trait seemed to be almost
universal. Guys buying a spread of apps all in the same area of use.

In thinking about it at the time and given that you could buy software
in Bangkok for 1 dollar a disk at that time, it seemed likely to me
that people were buying cheap items just to try them out and that
estimates stating "X dollars of illegal software in use" or "Y dollars
lost due to IP abuse" couldn't possibly be accurate.

Given that I used to do this (I have since seen the light and no
longer do these nefarious things) and everyone I knew was doing this
it appeared to me that much of the pirated software wasn't being sold
to use, it was sold just to see, and if the only source was the high
priced legal software most of these sales world not have occurred and
these blazing headlines announcing the quadra-zillions lost to
industry through piracy just aren't true.

Which is not to say that it doesn't exist. It does and at least in the
software trade in Asia it is far larger then the legal trade. What I
am referring to is the figures being quoted as lost money. Firstly, I
doubt that any foreign agency can penetrate the Chinese business
community, based as it is to a great extent on doing business with
one's "second cousin's wife's grand-son's friend", and secondly
because so much of the sales are primarily based on buying a cheap
item or nothing. Nearly all of what Harbor Freight sells is not sold
to people desiring quality, it is sold to people who desire cheap and
if these people were given the choice of buying quality (at US prices)
or going without I suspect that many (most?) would go without.

On the other hand, the latest report I've read shows that Chinese
Imports into the U.S. were 255,454.7 Million dollars in the period Jan
1 - 31 Aug, 2011, while exports to China, in the same period, were
66,181.8 Million so probably the idea of somehow penalizing the Yellow
Peril is very palatable.

On the other hand, the Chinese guy quotes Cost FOB Shanghi, Insurance
& Freight to San Diago = FAS price San Diago Port = X dollars. Then
they pass the new anti-Chinese law and the cost becomes:
Cost FOB Shanghi, Insurance & Freight to San Diago = FAS price San
Diago Port = X dollars PLUS customs charges and processing = a higher
cost to the consumers.

sort of a hidden tax, one might suggest :-(

--
John B.