Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rotary phase converter to xmfr?

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 14:07:16 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 14:03:59 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

wrote:

So I'm probably buying a used Fadal mill. It is currently wired for 480
volts. The shop it is in uses an inverter to convert the incoming 240
single phase to 3 phase which is then sent to a step up xmfr and then
to the mill. The RPC maker is no longer in business so I can't ask them
if the RPC I have can be connected to the xmfr. Can this be done? I
think I can re-configure the mill to run on 240 volts but I'm not sure.
Furthermore, there are already wires in my shop that can supply power
to the Fadal but I think the gauge might be too small for the amperage
draw if the Fadal is wired for 240. Adding wire would be kind of a pain
as I would need to pull wire through about 40 feet of conduit. I can do
it but it's a pain plus I would need to buy 180 feet of wire because
the machine is 3 phase and there is another 15 feet of wireway the wire
needs to go in. The wireway is the kind where you just remove the
covers and lay the wire in. The conduit goes from the wireway up the
wall 18 feet up, across the building, and then down the wall to the
wireway on the opposite wall.

You should have asked this on news:rec.crafts.metalworking where
rotary phase converters are a common topic. I added them to the headers
for you.

You forgot to check r.c.m.

OP: please look up "crossposting" on Wikipedia. Contrast it with
multiposting.

Then, when you post to USENET, please crosspost if your content really,
genuinely, should go to more than one news group.

Greetings Tim,
I appreciate your advice about crossposting. Thank You. The reason I
didn't though is because of all the crossposted crap that's been in
rcm lately. I didn't want someone who thought that my question posted
in either group was idoitic to inflict the other group with the rude
reply too.
Cheers,
Eric