Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do all petroleum parts washer solvents smell horribly?

I have a bucket of parts washer solvent from Menards. This stuff REEKS
and smells really horribly, much worse than diesel fuel even.

I wonder if all solvents are like that, or there are some that are a
little better.

THanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 09:30:13 -0500, Ignoramus23036
wrote:

I have a bucket of parts washer solvent from Menards. This stuff REEKS
and smells really horribly, much worse than diesel fuel even.

I wonder if all solvents are like that, or there are some that are a
little better.

THanks

I like the smell of Hoppe's number nine gun cleaner.
http://www.hoppes.com/ Might even give me a woody if Milady wore it
to bed. (NOT going to happen)

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a bucket of parts washer solvent from Menards. This stuff REEKS
and smells really horribly, much worse than diesel fuel even.

I wonder if all solvents are like that, or there are some that are a
little better.

THanks

I like the smell of Hoppe's number nine gun cleaner.
http://www.hoppes.com/ Might even give me a woody if Milady wore it
to bed. (NOT going to happen)

But I need parts washer solvent, something like 40 gallons of it!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a bucket of parts washer solvent from Menards. This stuff REEKS
and smells really horribly, much worse than diesel fuel even.

I wonder if all solvents are like that, or there are some that are a
little better.

THanks

I like the smell of Hoppe's number nine gun cleaner.
http://www.hoppes.com/ Might even give me a woody if Milady wore it
to bed. (NOT going to happen)

But I need parts washer solvent, something like 40 gallons of it!

Well, you asked for good smelling, not cheap. I see its only $20 a
quart.

For cheap, I use a variation of Ed's red. Mostly diesel, mineral
spirts, ATF (used OK), and a bit of acetone. Google for a recipe,
don't have to follow it exactly. The smell is strong. But you might be
able to get a 55 gal drum of parts cleaner at about the same price if
you pick up at the distributor. You have learned to buy at wholesale,
haven't you?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Isn't acetone very flammable?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus23036 wrote:

I have a bucket of parts washer solvent from Menards. This stuff REEKS
and smells really horribly, much worse than diesel fuel even.

I wonder if all solvents are like that, or there are some that are a
little better.

You can certainly get deodorized (or low odor, or what have you) mineral
sprits. It will likely cost more than the stinky stuff. The particular
stuff I'm most familiar with in that line will cost a lot more as it's
an "art supply", but there are likely cheaper sources. The jug of
mineral sprits I have from the hardware store stinks like a whole tank
of heating oil, by contrast.

The better grades of kerosene (ie, that would not stink up Mrs.
O'Leary's barn while burning in that lantern that wasn't really the
casue...) might be a cheaper place to start, but I suppose that's
perhaps more flammable than "mineral sprits."

Perhaps your parts washer needs a hood and vent.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a bucket of parts washer solvent from Menards. This stuff REEKS
and smells really horribly, much worse than diesel fuel even.

I wonder if all solvents are like that, or there are some that are a
little better.

THanks

Parts washer solvent doesn't have to smell bad. You can buy deodorized
mineral spirits. At least I used to buy it from a couple places in
Seattle. I asked for Stoddard solvent and was told it was just
deodorized mineral spirits. The stuff certainly smelled better than
paint thinner.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

IIRC, its like 1% of the total, shouldn't make a step change in
flamablility. Or just leave it out. The mineral spirits and diesel do
all the main work. Like others have said, sub perfumeded kerosene and
stoddard solvent (WD40) if you want better smell.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 12:09:40 -0400, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus23036 wrote:

[...]

I have this....

http://s-kstore.com/index.php/recycl...model-251.html

Does anyone have any instructions for its operation and maintainence?

SafteyKleen has been less than forthcoming with any guides or
manuals.....

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-16, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus23036 wrote:

[...]

I bought some deodorized mineral spirits once, they stink just as
badly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 18:54:57 -0500, Ignoramus23036

On 2011-10-16, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus23036 wrote:

[...]

Then someone mismarked the can. I bought some for oil painting ($14 a
freakin' quart!) and it was damnear odorless. Very nice.

The cans marked "Low Odor" are better, but the odorless is a much
nicer beast for indoor use.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

I have this....

http://s-kstore.com/index.php/recycl...model-251.html

Does anyone have any instructions for its operation and maintainence?

SafteyKleen has been less than forthcoming with any guides or
manuals.....

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)

That a recycler unit. You need to use the Safety Kleen solvent in it.
It cleans the solvent by heating it to the point where it becomes vapor,
The dirt/oil will drop out of the vapor and go through the condenser
unit to be re-used. There should be a separator screew filer as well
that keeps any big chunks from getting into the pump assy.
They work great with the correct solvent BUT due to the way they operate
, using any flammable stuff like acetone/gas/thinner will make you wish
you didn't. Think blevy bomb....

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-16, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus23036 wrote:

[...]

Yeah. I bought a jug of "kerosene" a couple years ago and it was dyed
pink. And smelled bad. In reality it was just fuel oil, dyed pink so
people don't use it for highway use and avoid taxes. But the plastic
jug said kerosene, not fuel oil.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 21:57:40 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Ah! I dont think mine gets hot. It used to, but it stopped last
winter..I think.

Im trying to find some documentation so I can check the thing out.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 16, 4:30*am, Ignoramus23036 ignoramus23...@NOSPAM.
23036.invalid wrote:
I have a bucket of parts washer solvent from Menards. This stuff REEKS
and smells really horribly, much worse than diesel fuel even.

I wonder if all solvents are like that, or there are some that are a
little better.

THanks

Goss's Garage on Motor Week yesterday. Parts washing.
http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...parts_cleaning
No Boom!! solvents.
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a bucket of parts washer solvent from Menards. This stuff REEKS
and smells really horribly, much worse than diesel fuel even.

I wonder if all solvents are like that, or there are some that are a
little better.

THanks

I like the smell of Hoppe's number nine gun cleaner.
http://www.hoppes.com/ Might even give me a woody if Milady wore it
to bed. (NOT going to happen)

Karl

A friend of mine told recently that there is a mens under arm deoderant
called Hoppes No 9 ,it smells just like the barrel cleaner

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 19:58:12 +0930, "Kevin(Bluey)"
wrote:

I like the smell of Hoppe's number nine gun cleaner.
http://www.hoppes.com/ Might even give me a woody if Milady wore it
to bed. (NOT going to happen)

Karl

A friend of mine told recently that there is a mens under arm deoderant
called Hoppes No 9 ,it smells just like the barrel cleaner

Years ago, I hung out in a mixed company cop bar..and did indeed spritz
a few drops of Hoppes on my jacket before going out to it. The groupie
chicks and a surprising number of lady cops wound up in my bed as a
result.

Sigh..the good old days...sniff....

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I like the smell of Hoppe's number nine gun cleaner.
http://www.hoppes.com/ Might even give me a woody if Milady wore it
to bed. (NOT going to happen)

Karl

A friend of mine told recently that there is a mens under arm deoderant
called Hoppes No 9 ,it smells just like the barrel cleaner

Years ago, I hung out in a mixed company cop bar..and did indeed spritz
a few drops of Hoppes on my jacket before going out to it. The groupie
chicks and a surprising number of lady cops wound up in my bed as a
result.

Sigh..the good old days...sniff....

Gunner

Imagine Gunner's surprise when they grabbed a bronze bristle brush and told
him to bend over.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Imagine Gunner's surprise when they grabbed a bronze bristle brush and told
him to bend over.

Yawn. More of your perverted fantasies.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 16, 10:30*am, Ignoramus23036 ignoramus23...@NOSPAM.
23036.invalid wrote:
I have a bucket of parts washer solvent from Menards. This stuff REEKS
and smells really horribly, much worse than diesel fuel even.

I wonder if all solvents are like that, or there are some that are a
little better.

THanks

Smells bad in what way? Like bad chemical smell or like bad rancid
putrid smell?

If it's the latter then dump it or get a biocide to treat it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://sun-cleaning.com/ind_deg.html