Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Large Twist Drills

So my son asks me what the largest twist drill available is... I told him
10 feet because they could make one for him.

But that got me to thinking... With a Morse Taper #4 or larger (they go to
Morse #7, right?), what is the largest twist drill you guys have seen or
actually own?

We're talking standard drills, not annular cutters or end mills, etc.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-12, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
So my son asks me what the largest twist drill available is... I told him
10 feet because they could make one for him.

But that got me to thinking... With a Morse Taper #4 or larger (they go to
Morse #7, right?), what is the largest twist drill you guys have seen or
actually own?

I sold some 3 3/4 inch MT6 drills.

http://yabe.chudov.com/3-3-4-in-taper-shank-drill-bit/

We're talking standard drills, not annular cutters or end mills, etc.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:35:40 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

So my son asks me what the largest twist drill available is... I told him
10 feet because they could make one for him.

But that got me to thinking... With a Morse Taper #4 or larger (they go to
Morse #7, right?), what is the largest twist drill you guys have seen or
actually own?

We're talking standard drills, not annular cutters or end mills, etc.

I have a 3 5/16 and I've used it. I'm sure this is no where near the
largest.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So my son asks me what the largest twist drill available is... I told him
10 feet because they could make one for him.

But that got me to thinking... With a Morse Taper #4 or larger (they go to
Morse #7, right?), what is the largest twist drill you guys have seen or
actually own?

We're talking standard drills, not annular cutters or end mills, etc.

I have a 3 5/16 and I've used it. I'm sure this is no where near the
largest.

the ones they use to dig the holes to plant telephone poles look like
twist drills, or some sort of auger. do they count?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
So my son asks me what the largest twist drill available is... I told him
10 feet because they could make one for him.

But that got me to thinking... With a Morse Taper #4 or larger (they go
to Morse #7, right?), what is the largest twist drill you guys have seen
or actually own?

We're talking standard drills, not annular cutters or end mills, etc.

I've seen some at the Caterpillar plant in Aurora, IL that are 3"+ diameter.
But they would be metric, because Cat has been metric since the '70s.

--
Ed Huntress

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
So my son asks me what the largest twist drill available is... I told him
10 feet because they could make one for him.

But that got me to thinking... With a Morse Taper #4 or larger (they go
to Morse #7, right?), what is the largest twist drill you guys have seen
or actually own?

The biggest one i owned was 4" with a #5 morse taper.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:14:10 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

the ones they use to dig the holes to plant telephone poles look like
twist drills, or some sort of auger. do they count?

No.

Damn. I have and use a 30" one here.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4922 wrote:
I sold some 3 3/4 inch MT6 drills.

http://yabe.chudov.com/3-3-4-in-taper-shank-drill-bit/

Wow ... that had to be a case of something that's really, REALLY,
expensive new, but whose market is so thin that it goes for pennies on
the dollar as surplus.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
Production Tapping:http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
VIDEOS:http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK:http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER:http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

at Cat? How bout the 24"shell mills on the dual opposing spindles-
Cincincy Horizontal - 60 taper go figure.
That is the BIGGEST damn place I've worked at.
No ****, 1/2hr to walk from one end to the other.

~g~

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-12, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus4922 wrote:
I sold some 3 3/4 inch MT6 drills.

http://yabe.chudov.com/3-3-4-in-taper-shank-drill-bit/

Wow ... that had to be a case of something that's really, REALLY,
expensive new, but whose market is so thin that it goes for pennies on
the dollar as surplus.

Bob

It sold for $103.74.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cncmillgil" wrote in message
[...]

Lots of big stuff there. They probably have much larger drill bits, too, but
I remember the 3"+ ones as I walked past a line of big radial-arm drills.
They produced some impressive chips, too.

Did you work at the Aurora plant? My F-I-L, Glenn McKittrick, was QC Manager
of the machine shop. Some "shop."

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 15:51:01 -0500, Ignoramus4922

On 2011-08-12, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus4922 wrote:
I sold some 3 3/4 inch MT6 drills.

http://yabe.chudov.com/3-3-4-in-taper-shank-drill-bit/

Wow ... that had to be a case of something that's really, REALLY,
expensive new, but whose market is so thin that it goes for pennies on
the dollar as surplus.

Bob

It sold for $103.74.

Oh, WOW. I have several hundred large drill bits. Several of each
size. I bought the entire drill room at a very large shop several
years ago.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-12, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus4922 wrote:
I sold some 3 3/4 inch MT6 drills.

http://yabe.chudov.com/3-3-4-in-taper-shank-drill-bit/

Wow ... that had to be a case of something that's really, REALLY,
expensive new, but whose market is so thin that it goes for pennies on
the dollar as surplus.

Bob

It sold for $103.74.

Oh, WOW. I have several hundred large drill bits. Several of each
size. I bought the entire drill room at a very large shop several
years ago.

They might pay for your new cab and trailer, Mr. Apple.
Are you going to get a new peter built?
(sorry, hadda do it)

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-12, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus4922 wrote:
I sold some 3 3/4 inch MT6 drills.

http://yabe.chudov.com/3-3-4-in-taper-shank-drill-bit/

Wow ... that had to be a case of something that's really, REALLY,
expensive new, but whose market is so thin that it goes for pennies on
the dollar as surplus.

Bob

It sold for $103.74.

Oh, WOW. I have several hundred large drill bits. Several of each
size. I bought the entire drill room at a very large shop several
years ago.

I am sure that $103 was also pennies on the dollar.

But sure, you need to sell all of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-12, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus4922 wrote:
I sold some 3 3/4 inch MT6 drills.

http://yabe.chudov.com/3-3-4-in-taper-shank-drill-bit/

Wow ... that had to be a case of something that's really, REALLY,
expensive new, but whose market is so thin that it goes for pennies on
the dollar as surplus.

Bob

It sold for $103.74.

Oh, WOW. I have several hundred large drill bits. Several of each
size. I bought the entire drill room at a very large shop several
years ago.

I am sure that $103 was also pennies on the dollar.

But sure, you need to sell all of them.

maybe I'm wrong but i look at my shop and tooling as money in the bank
for retirement. I'd rather have an extra drill bit than a stock or
bond. I think they will still need drills when I do retire.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-12, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus4922 wrote:
I sold some 3 3/4 inch MT6 drills.

http://yabe.chudov.com/3-3-4-in-taper-shank-drill-bit/

Wow ... that had to be a case of something that's really, REALLY,
expensive new, but whose market is so thin that it goes for pennies on
the dollar as surplus.

Bob

It sold for $103.74.

Oh, WOW. I have several hundred large drill bits. Several of each
size. I bought the entire drill room at a very large shop several
years ago.

I am sure that $103 was also pennies on the dollar.

But sure, you need to sell all of them.

maybe I'm wrong but i look at my shop and tooling as money in the bank
for retirement. I'd rather have an extra drill bit than a stock or
bond. I think they will still need drills when I do retire.

I think that "they" may not need the big drills as much. The world
moves towards boring, or using insertable drills.

I aalways sell all drills over 2 inches.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CDLs

Hate to be the wet blanket but there's a few additional things you need to
take into consideration. It's not as simple as just getting a CDL and
buying a truck and trailer.

You really arn't talking about just becoming a truck driver and going to
work as a trucker for some other company. What you all are talking about
doing
would make you an interstate commercial motor carrier and that is a whole
nother ball game. One with a very complicated set of rules.

A few things that have not been brought up yet that you need to be aware of.
Some of the FMCSA rules for obtaining CDLs have recently changed. If you
are a new driver getting a CDL for the very first time you must now first
get a learner's permit and attend an accredited school for a certain number
of hours. Typically 3 to 4 weeks depending on the type of vehicle and class
of license your are aiming for. You must have so many hours behind the
whell. Since you don't work for another company as a driver you will have
to pay your school additonal for this. Since you are talking a trailer over
10,001
lbs GVW you will have to have a Class A CDL regardless of what kind of truck
you use to pull it with. The testing will be pretty much as other's have
described it.
One thing that may make it easier though is that the regs require you to use
a truck/trailer eqivalant to the class of licenese you are trying to obtain.
If you only want a straight Class A any truck/trailer will do as long as the
trailer is rated over 10,001 lbs. If you want to be able to drive a truck
with air brakes though then the test rig must be equipped with air brakes.
If you want endorsements for multiple trailers or tankers than you will have
to test in those type of vehicles.

MUST have a DOT physical certificate as some others have stated. MUST
always keep a copy with you when driving. Right now almost any doctor, LPA,
nurse practioner, etc can do. A rule change is coming soon that will
sharply
limit who will be able to provide these physicals. Costs will most
assuredly go up as a result.

MUST keep a log book as some others have also pointed out. This is for
tracking your Hours Of Service. Currently this can be done on a specific
paper form that is obtainable at any truck stop. MUST keep a copy of the
last 7 days with you even if you have not driven during that time. You are
only allowed to drive 60 hours in 7 days or 70 hours in 8 days and you need
the copies to prove you are in compliance. Currently only allowed to drive
a maximum of 11 hours a day and be on duty a maximum of 14 hours and must
have at least 10 straight hours off duty unless you have a co-driver and a
sleeper cab. DOT is in the process of changing these rules and will soon
require electronic HOS recorders to be installed on all large interstate
trucks.

MUST be in a drug and alcohol testing program. MUST pass a "pre-hire" drug
and alcohol test and records must be kept in a driver qualification file
(even as an owner/operator). MUST be available for random selection drug
and alchol testing at any time anyplace. Since you will be a single driver
company, you will have to join a testing consortium that will do all this
for you. Check with your local hospital or occupational health center as a
lot of these places run such consortiums.

Since you are talking about going to other states that will make you an
Interstate motor carrier. Thus, you MUST have a DOT number. This is free,
just register online on the DOT website. You MUST also have and file annual
financial responsibility paperwork with DOT proving that you have insurance
in the specified amount (I believe currently this is a minimum of 5$
million). You MUST
also register and pay a Unified Carrier Registration fee. This is done
through whichever agency in your state regulates motor carriers. If you
particular state is one of the few that is not in the UCR system then you
must register and pay the fee in a neighboring state. For one or two truck
the fee is currently less than 100$/year. The fines, if you are ever
stopped for a roadside check out of state and they discover you have not
paid your UCR fee can be very steep. UCR registration/fees are required in
order to
take any commercial motor vehicle over 10,000lbs GCWR across a state line
for any reason.

Oh, by the way, as soon as you obtain the DOT number you will be registered
with DOT as a new entry level motor carrier. As such you must undergo a
safety audit sometime within the next 18 months. Usually happens fairly
quickly. Someone from your state motor carrier regulating agency is going
to come knocking on your door and make sure you are in full compliance with
all DOT and FMCSA regulations and that all your paperwork is in order. If
not they will shut you down.

Your truck and trailer MUST undergo and pass a DOT inspection every year and
both MUST have the appropriate decals and inspection documentation on board.
Need to check with your state but you will also probably HAVE to pay an
interstate fuel tax fee. You will also have to document and account for all
fuel you buy and where.

MUST perform and keep copies of daily driver vehicle inspection reports. As
the motor carrier you MUST keep these reports for specific periods of time.
MUST keep records of all maintenance and repairs and keep a log of all such.
MUST keep a log of all accidents. MUST keep a driver qualification file
with all of the above items plus numerous others that I haven't gotten into.

MUST have bills of lading or similar paperwork for material/equpment you
haul and must keep copies of all for some time. You don't even want to know
about the paperwork involved in hauling haz-mat.

You WILL have to keep more records than you ever though could possibly exist
and will almost certainly need to hire motor carrier tax experts and
accountants. You haven't got enough time to handle all the paperwork.

These are just a FEW of the gotchas that you are going to run into if you
decide to be an interstate motor carrier. There's a whole lot more to it
than simply getting a CDL and buying a truck. I strongly reccomend going to
the FMCSA web site and look for their Guidebook for Motor Carriers and read
it. Around 200 pages if I remember correctly but you really, really, really
need to understand what you are gettnig into. Personally, I don't know why
anyone today would want to become a commercial motor carrier, especially
with only one or two trucks.

FWIW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for a very interesting post.

I do not want to be a carrier, or a truck driver for hire. I want to
have a CDL to haul stuff that I buy and resell.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 19:38:43 -0500, the renowned Ignoramus4922
wrote:

Thanks for a very interesting post.

I do not want to be a carrier, or a truck driver for hire. I want to
have a CDL to haul stuff that I buy and resell.

Just out of curiosity, are you planning to learn rigging too?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 20:34:53 -0400, "MTBSW"
wrote:

Hate to be the wet blanket but there's a few additional things you need to
take into consideration. It's not as simple as just getting a CDL and
buying a truck and trailer.

You just made Milady's day (NOT). She just loves paper work. Sounds
about like all the food licensing rquirements and paper work.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 12, 8:34*pm, "MTBSW" wrote:
Hate to be the wet blanket but there's a few additional things you need to
take into consideration. *It's not as simple as just getting a CDL and
buying a truck and trailer.

FWIW

How complicated would it be to get a CDL and then renting a truck when
needed?

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thanks for a very interesting post.

I do not want to be a carrier, or a truck driver for hire. I want to
have a CDL to haul stuff that I buy and resell.

Just out of curiosity, are you planning to learn rigging too?

I would hope so.

Looking in my PTDIA trucker handbook (found during a cleanout of a
client's house) there is a 22 page chapter on rigging. Notta whole
lotta. You'll need another book for that, methinks.

whap
What am I thinking? You already have one on your manuals website.
(Whoa, it isn't on your www.liberatedmanuals.com !)
FM5-125 Oh, I found it he http://goo.gl/Zl8N7
Confused yet, Ig? That's your site, too! bseg

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

wrote:

Thanks for a very interesting post.

I do not want to be a carrier, or a truck driver for hire. I want to
have a CDL to haul stuff that I buy and resell.

Just out of curiosity, are you planning to learn rigging too?

I would hope so.

It doesn't sound to me like it makes good business sense, given the
insurance you'll have to carry, etc. Having a commercial truck can be a big
PITA since you are always subject to roadside inspections. The potential
fines are considerable. You can find cheap tractors but they may be cheap
due to the increasing cost of maintenance to meet DOT standards.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So my son asks me what the largest twist drill available is... I told him
10 feet because they could make one for him.

But that got me to thinking... With a Morse Taper #4 or larger (they go to
Morse #7, right?), what is the largest twist drill you guys have seen or
actually own?

We're talking standard drills, not annular cutters or end mills, etc.

12"

Gunner

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So my son asks me what the largest twist drill
available is... I told him
10 feet because they could make one for him.

But that got me to thinking... With a Morse
Taper #4 or larger (they go to
Morse #7, right?), what is the largest twist
drill you guys have seen or
actually own?

We're talking standard drills, not annular
cutters or end mills, etc.

12"

Gunner

Twelve inch?
I'd like to see the 'drill press' that'll turn
that puppy!
Or.... maybe not........ ;)} phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:35:40 -0400, the renowned "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

So my son asks me what the largest twist drill available is... I told him
10 feet because they could make one for him.

But that got me to thinking... With a Morse Taper #4 or larger (they go to
Morse #7, right?), what is the largest twist drill you guys have seen or
actually own?

There's a twist-drill manufacturer with their head office in Seoul
Korea who has a scaled-up twist drill sculpture in front of their
building. Maybe 20-30' high and 3' in diameter? ;-)

We're talking standard drills, not annular cutters or end mills, etc.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus4922" wrote in message
Thanks for a very interesting post.

I do not want to be a carrier, or a truck driver for hire. I want to
have a CDL to haul stuff that I buy and resell.

That was my point. If you want to use a truck to use as part of your
business you ARE a commercial motor carrier in the eyes of the law. And
those are the rules and regulations that all commercial motor carriers have
to live with today (actually there are a lot more, I just covered the
basics).

I work as a safety and transportation regulation consultant with many of my
clients being in industries that use trucks but would not normally be
thought of as being motor carriers. Electric utilities for instance. While
they are primarily in the business of generating and providing electric
power they use trucks to build, maintain and operate their power systems.
And while they probably don't ever carry any body elses goods but their own
on those trucks they are motor carriers also and have to live with all the
same rules and regulations. A fact that some of them refuse to believe
until one of their trucks gets pulled over for a road side inspection.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"MTBSW" wrote in message
m...
I work as a safety and transportation regulation consultant with many of
my clients being in industries that use trucks but would not normally be
thought of as being motor carriers. Electric utilities for instance.
While they are primarily in the business of generating and providing
electric power they use trucks to build, maintain and operate their power
systems. And while they probably don't ever carry any body elses goods but
their own on those trucks they are motor carriers also and have to live
with all the same rules and regulations. A fact that some of them refuse
to believe until one of their trucks gets pulled over for a road side
inspection.

Fatal accident involving National Grid vehicle:
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...tion=email ed

The news said the driver was test-driving the rig to check on a brake
problem or its repair(?).

Poor fire truck maintenance has caused some accidents around here too.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 13, 5:29*pm, "Phil Kangas" wrote:

Twelve inch?
I'd like to see the 'drill press' that'll turn
that puppy!
Or.... maybe not........ *;)} *phil k.

http://www.carneymachinery.com/item_...entory_id=3061

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thanks for a very interesting post.

I do not want to be a carrier, or a truck driver for hire. I want to
have a CDL to haul stuff that I buy and resell.

Just out of curiosity, are you planning to learn rigging too?

I would hope so.

Looking in my PTDIA trucker handbook (found during a cleanout of a
client's house) there is a 22 page chapter on rigging. Notta whole
lotta. You'll need another book for that, methinks.

whap
What am I thinking? You already have one on your manuals website.
(Whoa, it isn't on your www.liberatedmanuals.com !)
FM5-125 Oh, I found it he http://goo.gl/Zl8N7
Confused yet, Ig? That's your site, too! bseg

I know! I often look for some manuals online, and find them on my own
website.

I actually get thank you letters every couple of days for my liberated
manuals website. I keep statistics of downloads. Every day, about 900
unique IP addresses sent to me by Google, download manuals from me
directly. So, I would think, altogether it helps, perhaps, 1,000
people per day or so.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-13, MTBSW wrote:
same rules and regulations. A fact that some of them refuse to believe
until one of their trucks gets pulled over for a road side inspection.

Can you tell me, what kind of stuff is involved in a "roadside
inspection"?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 20:11:18 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"MTBSW" wrote in message
om...
[...]

"A woman in her 70s was killed today in a tragic accident on Interstate
495 in Southboro when a backhoe rolled off a National Grid truck
crashing into the car she was a passenger in, police said."

hardly a brake problem...bummer

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an
Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense
and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have
such a man for their? president.. Blaming the prince of the
fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of
fools that made him their prince".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So my son asks me what the largest twist drill
available is... I told him
10 feet because they could make one for him.

But that got me to thinking... With a Morse
Taper #4 or larger (they go to
Morse #7, right?), what is the largest twist
drill you guys have seen or
actually own?

We're talking standard drills, not annular
cutters or end mills, etc.

12"

Gunner

Twelve inch?
I'd like to see the 'drill press' that'll turn
that puppy!
Or.... maybe not........ ;)} phil k.

The verticle lathe its used on has a 10' table and a 75 hp motor

The horizontal boring mill its also used on has a 8' table and 50hp
motor

Similar to this..but 120"

http://www.locatoronline.com/photos/...e/356555_1.jpg

The boring mill is like this one IRRC

http://www.locatoronline.com/photos/...e/356456_1.jpg

The tailstock isnt shown.

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an
Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense
and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have
such a man for their? president.. Blaming the prince of the
fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of
fools that made him their prince".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-13, MTBSW wrote:
same rules and regulations. A fact that some of them refuse to believe
until one of their trucks gets pulled over for a road side inspection.

Can you tell me, what kind of stuff is involved in a "roadside
inspection"?

Well the first step is for you to get either pulled into the lot from
the coop OR you get flagged down along the road.
Usually they will have you pull onto scales OR if it's a fixed coop you
will drive on them. They look at overall weight, plus weight balance
(too much weight on one axle or similar)

Next they will ask you for ALL the paperwork for the load, the vehicle
and yourself, PLUS if you have a co-driver who is awake they can ask for
theirs as well. (log book, license, physical card, truck registration,
insurance cards, HUT tag, Inspection tag and some other stuff)
They will run all of that while they also look over your vehicle. They
look at virtually anything that could be a safety problem.

Usually they will look at the manifest and may ask you to open the box
or uncover the load. If something isn't secured correctly they will
write it down. Then they will check ALL the lights, ask to see your
flares/triangle kit, extinguisher, have you start the rig and pump down
the brakes to see if the low air warning works then watch to see if the
compressor kicks on and shuts off. Then check the horn, steering play
and more. Then they go back outside and will check any topside stuff
like air lines, loose equipment. Then they crawl under it and check for
broken springs, oil/air/coolant leaks, brake travel and pad/shoe wear.
Tire wear and inflation. They will also pull a fuel sample to ensure you
are not trying to avoid taxes by running NON-OTR fuel. Exhaust leaks or
missing items. They will also look at the trailer, you are responsible
for ANY fault they find, whether you own the rig or not.

If everything is OK they will hand you back all your stuff and send you
on your way. If they find something wrong they will write you up a
ticket(s) and if it's an out of service violation (over hours or major
failure on the truck) they will red tag you. With a red tag the truck
doesn't move until it's repaired. I have been red tagged twice. Once for
a broken spring leaf (broke somewhere after my pre-trip) and once for a
bad brake can. Not real bad considering the years and miles spent out there.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 13, 9:42*pm, Ignoramus1032
http://www.carneymachinery.com/item_...entory_id=3061

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Dan

This would do up to 4 inch drills.

With a 25 hp motor geared down to 8 rpm and a # 6 morse taper, I would
think it would be able to use bigger drills. How do you come up with
4 inches?

The same site has another radial arm drill press with a 15 hp motor
and a #5 morse taper and says it will drill up to 4.5 in cast iron.

Both of them are too big to go into my basement.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

Ignoramus1032 wrote:
On 2011-08-13, MTBSW wrote:
[...]

They do much of the same for commercial trucks over 10,000 GVW, but
apparently only if they look commercial like a cab over style, while
duallies and overloaded vans get a free pass. It's a significant potential
liability.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote in message

Ignoramus1032 wrote:
On 2011-08-13, MTBSW wrote:
[...]

Pretty fair description of an inspection. Depends alot on what State you
are in and the inspector. If the inspection is being performed by an
inspector funded by DOT they all follow CVSA (Commercial Vehicle Safety
Alliance) guidelines for inspections. You can see what all is required on
FMCSA's website. You will have to learn all this as part of CDL training.

Change recently made in how violations are now documented. All the motor
carrier data bases are now interlinked and the inspectors all have laptops
so it's very easy for them to look up the history of any company or driver
when they pull him over or they go through a weight station (coop). All
violations, truck or driver, get assigned a point value that goes against
the company operating the truck. Get enough points in any two year period
and you are going to get a visit and and audit of your operations.

Becasue resources are limitied, manpower and funding, the inspectors
typically do spend the majority of their time going after the bigger rigs.
Thats where most of the problems are and where most money can be made in
fines. However any commercial motor vehicle over 10,000 pounds GVWR in
interstate use is sjubect to the same inspection criteria as any eighteen
wheeler and can be pulled over for inspection at any time.

One last thought on getting a CDL that hasn't been brought up yet. If you
hold a CDL the penalties for moving vehicle violations in a lot of instances
are much harsher then if you just had a plain operator's license. Penalties
apply regardless of what type of vehicle you were driving at the time of the
violation, an eighteen wheeler or your grandma's KIA.

Looking for good twist drills (and maybe some advice) Andy Woodworking 17 July 25th 07 02:33 PM
Twist and Bend? stoutman Woodworking 15 January 20th 06 06:13 PM
for Sale Large SPINDLE Adaptor and Large 3C Collet for S/Bend LATHE [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 11th 05 09:32 PM
FS Large Drills Sailor Metalworking 3 November 28th 04 01:58 PM
ANN: Decimal Equivalents, Drills, & Tap Drills For The Palm Carmine Castiglia Metalworking 0 January 13th 04 03:53 AM