Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Kennedy touch up paint - follow up

A while back I was asking if anyone knew where to get Kennedy touch
up paint here in Canada.

Industrial supply companies here just said it wasn't available. Didn't
seem
to know why. Said maybe something about the border.

Got a similar reply from MSC.

I thought Kennedy would be more informative but just got something
about the chemicals in the spray can... Huh??

So I went out and bought a can of Rust-Oleum MultiColour Textured
in brown. The brown was a little too light so I also got a can of VHT
Wrinkle Plus in black.

I mixed them about 60/40 to get just the right color. (Sprayed into a
little cup.) Then I dabbed it on and ... Voilla! Problem solved.

But got to wondering what the real problem was.

Oh yeah! A few years back I had a similar problem with my favorite one
part
machinery paint - Hammerite. The problem had NOTHING to
do with the chemistry, safety...

The problem was that the importer, and I suppose the manufacturer,
did not want to go through the trouble of making up bilingual
packaging!

In Canada, you get harassed by the "Language Police" if you try to
sell consumer goods without bilingual packaging.

So my strong suspicion is that Kennedy has found that it's
just not worth it to do a special run for bilingual packaging.

The Rust-Oleum and VHT are both made in the States and the
cans are nicely bilingual. That's prolly because there's a large
enough market here to bear the extra cost.

And for the bright boys in Ottawa who are currently wondering
how come consumers in Canada pay a LOT more than in the
States...

The need for bilingual packaging is certainly one of the reasons.

DOC

Plausible deniability status requested!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A lot of it is 'new' shipping restrictions. Specially international. I
need some urethane paint for the bodywork I'm doing on my Audi. Found
a good deal on Ebay, but they're in jolly 'ol England, and can't ship
it to the states.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:32:28 -0700 (PDT), doc
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Send it to California, or worse L.A. County or the South Coast AQMD area, and now any paint you order has to be water-based and/or Ultra LOW VOC - half the stuff out there, we can't get.

I'm going to have to drive my Corvair out of state to get it painted, even though all it needs is spot-patch and touch up and a good top coat or two - because you simply can't get Acrylic Lacquer anywhere in California anymore. They won't even put it in a booth and shoot it if you bring the supplies.

Or I have to strip it to bare metal and start over with a water based paint system. And I really don't want to do that when it just needs a freshening-up.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce Bergman" wrote in message

Or I have to strip it to bare metal and start over with a water based
paint system. And I really don't want to do that when it just needs a
freshening-up.

Suggest do a bit more research before taking that plunge...last time I
checked, pretty much all of the "magic mirror" colors were still readily
available in acrylic lacquer at least on ebay but you do need to get the
paint code off of your vin tag if your looking to get an exact match...and
since acrylic lacquer is about as forgiving a finish you could wish for and
so unless you are a terrible painter basically you can just about re-paint a
60's chevy outside in a dust storm with it and still get pretty damned good
results.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 13, 11:56*pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:
"Bruce Bergman" wrote in message

Or I have to strip it to bare metal and start over with a water based
paint system. *And I really don't want to do that when it just needs a
freshening-up.

Suggest do a bit more research before taking that plunge...last time I
checked, pretty much all of the "magic mirror" colors were still readily
available in acrylic lacquer at least on ebay but you do need to get the
paint code off of your vin tag if your looking to get an exact match...and
since acrylic lacquer is about as forgiving a finish you could wish for and
so unless you are a terrible painter basically you can just about re-paint a
60's chevy outside in a dust storm with it and still get pretty damned good
results.

IIRC, CARB fines are pretty stiff, there's just some things that
CANNOT be shipped into California. It's NOT a problem with acrylic
lacquer itself or color availability, it's a political/legal
problem.

I like shooting lacquer but it's not as durable as the urethanes and
the local paint suppliers I've dealt with have quit handling it
because of lack of demand from the body shops. Last one I tried
getting some from said thay hadn't carried it in 10 years, no demand.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Precision, it's not a basic color = but not too odd, it's 61 GM Fawn Beige Metallic. I'm sure if you can find someone with the right paint "tint base" and a tinting rack and all the tints and the metallic additives (and not all way out-dated) they can do it - but if nobody uses an Acrylic Lacquer system anymore...

FWIBT Stan's right, Acrylic Lacquer is rather forgiving - I'd go out of state and carry it back, make a plastic tarp booth and shoot with a HVLP gun in the garage - but a Pro Shop with a real spray booth in Californication can't touch it for liability reasons.

There are very close current colors in Lexus and Infiniti, I just saw them parked side by side.

The bugaboo is that whole strip down and redo, which I'm loath to do because now you have to redo all the door-jambs, and strip and re-shoot everything on the interior with flattener additive... It is a huge can of worms, and I can't even start on it with construction in the dumper...

-- Bruce --

Touch up eggshell paint Robert Noble Home Repair 8 July 24th 17 08:14 PM
Kennedy brown wrinkle touch up?? doc[_4_] Metalworking 7 July 18th 11 01:01 AM
appliance touch up paint Noel Home Repair 1 July 21st 07 08:52 PM
touch up paint pete Home Ownership 0 March 30th 05 12:31 AM
touch up paint on wall Fred Home Repair 7 March 27th 05 02:02 PM