Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Kennedy brown wrinkle touch up??

Anybody know where I can get Kennedy brown wrinkle touch up paint
here in Canada?

Couple of the usual industry supply places have said that they can't
bring it into the country because of some border restriction.

It is hazard code 3, but strikes me as really strange that you can't
get a can of spray paint into the country.

Or...

I can prolly match the colour with some of the acrylic I have in my
shop. But not sure how to get the wrinkle effect.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Tanks,
DOC

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 06:51:51 -0700 (PDT), doc
wrote:

Anybody know where I can get Kennedy brown wrinkle touch up paint
here in Canada?

Couple of the usual industry supply places have said that they can't
bring it into the country because of some border restriction.

It is hazard code 3, but strikes me as really strange that you can't
get a can of spray paint into the country.

Or...

I can prolly match the colour with some of the acrylic I have in my
shop. But not sure how to get the wrinkle effect.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Tanks,
DOC

Buy it from MSC or whatever, get it shipped to Western NY state and
pick it up yourself. It's probably not urgent, ne'st ce pas?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Anybody know where I can get Kennedy brown wrinkle touch up paint
here in Canada?

Couple of the usual industry supply places have said that they can't
bring it into the country because of some border restriction.

It is hazard code 3, but strikes me as really strange that you can't
get a can of spray paint into the country.

Or...

I can prolly match the colour with some of the acrylic I have in my
shop. But not sure how to get the wrinkle effect.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Tanks,
DOC

Buy it from MSC or whatever, get it shipped to Western NY state and
pick it up yourself. It's probably not urgent, ne'st ce pas?

Well it's certainly not "critically one" status.

But there are a few problems with putting in further back in the
queue.

These days I seem to be working on a LIFO system. Which means
that if I put it off it tends NEVER to get done.

I'm curious about how they formulate wrinkle paint and wonder
how I might be able to fake it.

And I'm frankly puzzled about the geniuses at border control.

Tanks,
DOC

SA comment should go here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anybody know where I can get Kennedy brown wrinkle touch up paint
here in Canada?

Couple of the usual industry supply places have said that they can't
bring it into the country because of some border restriction.

It is hazard code 3, but strikes me as really strange that you can't
get a can of spray paint into the country.

Or...

I can prolly match the colour with some of the acrylic I have in my
shop. But not sure how to get the wrinkle effect.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Tanks,
DOC

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Look for Plasti Kote black wrinkle paint, p/n 217. I got it at NAPA a
few years ago.

H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

SA comment should go here.- Hide quoted text -

As far as I know, it's just got some extras added so that the stuff
skins over but stays soft in the center. The skin contracts to make
the wrinkles and eventually the volatiles in the center go away so it
hardens. Application thickness is critical, heat lamps for drying are
recommended unless you really like letting the stuff setup for a few
weeks before handling it. Not sure why they wouldn't let it be
imported unless it's got lead or some banned solvent in it. Can't
make it without the solvents, though. I've used the spraycan stuff,
it's touchy to get on evenly. Tends to run, too. There's a hazy area
between just thick enough to evenly wrinkle and a run.

I've got a tripod with a lot of chipped spots in the black wrinkle
paint, mostly at edges. What I'm planning for it is to use some matte
black Duracoat and an airbrush to hit the bare spots. Probably
wouldn't work too well if you've got giant chipped-off spots, but
might work for just touchups. It's not going to be wrinkly, but it'll
cover the shiny spots. That's if it ever stops raining here, on the
8th straight date of monsoon.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-14, doc wrote:
On Jul 14, 8:30*am, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

[ ... wrinkle paint ... ]

Buy it from MSC or whatever, get it shipped to Western NY state and
pick it up yourself. It's probably not urgent, ne'st ce pas?

Well it's certainly not "critically one" status.

But there are a few problems with putting in further back in the
queue.

These days I seem to be working on a LIFO system. Which means
that if I put it off it tends NEVER to get done.

I'm curious about how they formulate wrinkle paint and wonder
how I might be able to fake it.

Well ... I've used it in the past (black wrinkle at the time),
and it comes out of the can fairly thick to start with. You paint one
one layer, then wait some set time (I seem to remember 15 minutes) and
paint on another coat.

If you let it dry at room temperature, it takes a long time to
get really hard, and it has a very coarse wrinkle.

If you put in in the oven on a low temperature, it gets hard
fairly quickly, and takes on a very fine wrinkle pattern. (It was in
the oven in my apartment back in the 1960s and very early 1970s, and I
don't remember the temperature or the time, though I would guess the
time was on the order of one or two hours, and the temperature was
probably the lowest that the gas oven would set to.

And I'm frankly puzzled about the geniuses at border control.

Those I can't suggest anything about.

Why not try to find a make of the wrinkle paint (what I got was
rattle cans from General Cement -- a supplier of chemicals for
electronics work at the time), and then check the web page of the maker
to find out who their distributors are. There may well be some in
Canada so they will have already dealt with the problems of importing.

Or -- it may be a problem with VOCs (Volatile Organic
Compounds), and it may actually be totally banned in Canada.

However, you *may* be able to find the formulas and mix your
own. If so -- experiment with various times and drying acceleration.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anybody know where I can get Kennedy brown wrinkle touch up paint
here in Canada?

Couple of the usual industry supply places have said that they can't
bring it into the country because of some border restriction.

It is hazard code 3, but strikes me as really strange that you can't
get a can of spray paint into the country.

Or...

I can prolly match the colour with some of the acrylic I have in my
shop. But not sure how to get the wrinkle effect.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Tanks,
DOC

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

You need a little afternoon trip to Buffalo NY.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anybody know where I can get Kennedy brown wrinkle touch up paint
here in Canada?

Couple of the usual industry supply places have said that they can't
bring it into the country because of some border restriction.

It is hazard code 3, but strikes me as really strange that you can't
get a can of spray paint into the country.

Or...

I can prolly match the colour with some of the acrylic I have in my
shop. But not sure how to get the wrinkle effect.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Tanks,
DOC

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Look for Plasti Kote black wrinkle paint, p/n 217. I got it at NAPA a
few years ago.

H.

FYI if you haven't found any yet I spotted some @ Crappy Tire
yesterday, made by VHT.

H.

Cannot touch bottom left of 4-wire touch screen ChaseAdam Electronics Repair 8 October 12th 09 09:57 AM
WRINKLE DINKY J T Woodworking 0 February 27th 07 11:49 PM
How to clean aluminum baking pans used for roasting. Black, dark brown, light brown difficult to remove residues. [email protected] Home Repair 12 September 20th 06 12:56 PM
Touch-n-Glow touch activation adapter for fluorescent fixtures. [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 2nd 05 04:02 AM