Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I need a special nut

http://www.amazon.com/Cork-Butler-Co.../dp/B0007RRFMW

We bought this wine bottle opener for $2 at a yard sale, not noticing that
it was missing a part. It has never been used. It is missing the part that
is at the top of the 3 piece cylindrical shaped thing right under the
handle. What is sticking up now is a threaded end. It looks like standard
threads, 1/2" dia.

If I could describe the missing nut, it would look like a small cup with
threads inside.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find such an item? If it came to
it, I could make one by getting a nut, welding a top on it, and grinding it
down to round. But the real deal would be better.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.amazon.com/Cork-Butler-Co.../dp/B0007RRFMW

We bought this wine bottle opener for $2 at a yard sale, not noticing that
it was missing a part. It has never been used. It is missing the part
that is at the top of the 3 piece cylindrical shaped thing right under the
handle. What is sticking up now is a threaded end. It looks like
standard threads, 1/2" dia.

If I could describe the missing nut, it would look like a small cup with
threads inside.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find such an item? If it came to
it, I could make one by getting a nut, welding a top on it, and grinding
it down to round. But the real deal would be better.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

No idea if you could buy one - I doubt it, unless as a spare part.

What about placing a nut on bolt, chucking up the bolt and turning the nut
down to form a cylinder with an internal thread. Then turn up the cup part
and press the threaded cylinder into it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 20:25:23 -0700, Steve B wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Cork-Butler-Co.../dp/B0007RRFMW

We bought this wine bottle opener for $2 at a yard sale, not noticing
that it was missing a part. It has never been used. It is missing the
part that is at the top of the 3 piece cylindrical shaped thing right
under the handle. What is sticking up now is a threaded end. It looks
like standard threads, 1/2" dia.

If I could describe the missing nut, it would look like a small cup with
threads inside.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find such an item? If it came
to it, I could make one by getting a nut, welding a top on it, and
grinding it down to round. But the real deal would be better.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Would an acorn nut work?

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 20:25:23 -0700, Steve B wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Cork-Butler-Co.../dp/B0007RRFMW

We bought this wine bottle opener for $2 at a yard sale, not noticing
that it was missing a part. It has never been used. It is missing the
part that is at the top of the 3 piece cylindrical shaped thing right
under the handle. What is sticking up now is a threaded end. It looks
like standard threads, 1/2" dia.

If I could describe the missing nut, it would look like a small cup with
threads inside.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find such an item? If it came
to it, I could make one by getting a nut, welding a top on it, and
grinding it down to round. But the real deal would be better.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Would an acorn nut work?

Now, THAT is an idea. If there's enough meat at the top of the acorn, and
not just a hollow crown, I could grind some off to make it nearly the same
size.

Just have to take it down to the old hardware store and try some. They got
the dangdest things down there when you dig into those little drawers.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.amazon.com/Cork-Butler-Co.../dp/B0007RRFMW

We bought this wine bottle opener for $2 at a yard sale, not noticing that
it was missing a part. It has never been used. It is missing the part
that is at the top of the 3 piece cylindrical shaped thing right under the
handle. What is sticking up now is a threaded end. It looks like
standard threads, 1/2" dia.

If I could describe the missing nut, it would look like a small cup with
threads inside.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find such an item? If it came to
it, I could make one by getting a nut, welding a top on it, and grinding
it down to round. But the real deal would be better.

Steve

I feel sorry for anyone that has a problem getting the cork out of a wine
bottle by using the centuries-tested-and-proven tool that's commonly called
a "cork screw"...

REALLY I DO...

First thing, if you open the bottle, you drink it...no sense "saving the
cork"...unless maybe you think you might need it for another bottle sometime
down the road...

Oxygen KILLS wine, and quickly--so unless you can purge the bottle with Co2
before re-corking your already ****ed anyways...might as well just drink it
now..

That said, if the cork comes apart then suggest simply push it on down into
the bottle....

--I'll personally guarantee you that the cork WILL float on top of the
liquid surface as you tip the bottle upside down to pour it--only very
rarely interfering with the out-flow because the incoming air will keep it
away from the bottle neck area.

Second thing, that ( IMO ) useless POS unit was probably imported from some
god forsaken communist country that currently enjoys a huge trade surplus
with the US--but hey now if it makes you somehow feel rich and sophisticated
to own one and for some reason you feel that you just can't live without it
then suggest cough up the cash and buy yourself another one and use for
spare parts.

( the sheer magnitude of the US trade deficit seldom surprises me )

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
[...]

How about a drawer pull knob? You might find one that you would just
need to mill down.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 22:03:01 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

I was sad because I had no shoes until I met a Frenchman who had no
corkscrew...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuGfjtBffiE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

Needs to go on 1/2" shaft with standard or coarse threads.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 10, 11:54*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Steve W." wrote in message

Steve B wrote:
[...]

Now you have a good excuse to buy a lathe.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A special nut??? I volunteer Larry!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 14:01:09 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

A special nut??? I volunteer Larry!

I plead insanity, yer Honor. I'm just crazy about that gal!

--
If you're looking for the key to the Universe,
I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.

The good news: It was never locked.
--Swami Beyondananda
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Steve B" wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Cork-Butler-Co.../dp/B0007RRFMW

We bought this wine bottle opener for $2 at a yard sale, not noticing that
it was missing a part. It has never been used.

For the same two bucks, I bought a waiter's corkscrew at Goodwill. It also had
never been used (Goodwill sells new items, too, didja know?). In contrast,
however, it was not missing any parts. And it works like a charm.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "PrecisionmachinisT" wrote:

I feel sorry for anyone that has a problem getting the cork out of a wine
bottle by using the centuries-tested-and-proven tool that's commonly called
a "cork screw"...

REALLY I DO...

First thing, if you open the bottle, you drink it...no sense "saving the
cork"...unless maybe you think you might need it for another bottle sometime
down the road...

Oxygen KILLS wine, and quickly--so unless you can purge the bottle with Co2
before re-corking your already ****ed anyways...might as well just drink it
now..

This is a common myth, but it's exactly that: a myth. Wine with sufficient
sulfite will easily last several days, at least, after recorking without
noticeable degradation.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Steve B"
wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Cork-Butler-Co.../dp/B0007RRFMW

We bought this wine bottle opener for $2 at a yard sale, not noticing that
it was missing a part. It has never been used.

For the same two bucks, I bought a waiter's corkscrew at Goodwill. It also
had
never been used (Goodwill sells new items, too, didja know?). In contrast,
however, it was not missing any parts. And it works like a charm.

Actually, my WIFE bought it, and whenever anything malfunctions, McGyver
gets a call.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-10, Dennis wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.amazon.com/Cork-Butler-Co.../dp/B0007RRFMW

We bought this wine bottle opener for $2 at a yard sale, not noticing that
it was missing a part. It has never been used. It is missing the part
that is at the top of the 3 piece cylindrical shaped thing right under the
handle. What is sticking up now is a threaded end. It looks like
standard threads, 1/2" dia.

*Whose* standard? The US seems to use 13 TPI for 1/2", while
the UK seems to use 12 TPI.

And are you sure that the threads aren't an ACME thread instead
of a usual 60 degree thread?

If I could describe the missing nut, it would look like a small cup with
threads inside.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find such an item? If it came to
it, I could make one by getting a nut, welding a top on it, and grinding
it down to round. But the real deal would be better.

Perhaps an acorn nut -- used to cap the threads on a shaft
coming through a handwheel so you don't gouge your hand on the threads.

Note that they have a hex for a wrench below the dome.

MSC and other vendors have them. Usually nickel plated for
appearance. The only problem may be the minimum quantity.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-10, Dennis wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

A 1/2-13 threaded rod coupler from the hardware store might fit. If
it's the -other- standard 1/2" thread, try a lug nut.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Cork-Butler-Co.../dp/B0007RRFMW

We bought this wine bottle opener for $2 at a yard sale, not noticing that
it was missing a part. It has never been used.

For the same two bucks, I bought a waiter's corkscrew at Goodwill. It also
had
never been used (Goodwill sells new items, too, didja know?). In contrast,
however, it was not missing any parts. And it works like a charm.

Actually, my WIFE bought it, and whenever anything malfunctions, McGyver
gets a call.

Sounds like McGyver needs some help in figuring out what's worth repairing and
what's not.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.amazon.com/Cork-Butler-Co.../dp/B0007RRFMW

We bought this wine bottle opener for $2 at a yard sale, not noticing that
it was missing a part. It has never been used. It is missing the part
that is at the top of the 3 piece cylindrical shaped thing right under the
handle. What is sticking up now is a threaded end. It looks like
standard threads, 1/2" dia.

If I could describe the missing nut, it would look like a small cup with
threads inside.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find such an item? If it came to
it, I could make one by getting a nut, welding a top on it, and grinding
it down to round. But the real deal would be better.

Steve

Do you have a tap the right size? A drill dress that can double as a crude
lathe? A chunk of metal that would be suitable? Problem solved.

You guys have ruined me as a consumer. I lost a cap for one of the battery
posts on my 700 watt inverter the other day. It's a 7 X 1 thread. I have
6mm and 8mm nuts in my small bolt bin. 7mm I guess is not so common. Since
binding force is not super critical I made a nut for it out of a scrap of
brass I had laying in my scrap box. Took about ten minutes. I know from a
cost benefit standpoint it might not seem cheap, but it was. It would have
taken me 30-40 minutes to go to the store and see if they had something that
would fit. Might have had to go to two or three stores.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 11, 10:53*am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

would fit. *Might have had to go to two or three stores.- Hide quoted text -

Auto parts stores may have 7mm hardware.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Cork-Butler-Co.../dp/B0007RRFMW

We bought this wine bottle opener for $2 at a yard sale, not noticing
that
it was missing a part. It has never been used.

For the same two bucks, I bought a waiter's corkscrew at Goodwill. It
also
had
never been used (Goodwill sells new items, too, didja know?). In
contrast,
however, it was not missing any parts. And it works like a charm.

Actually, my WIFE bought it, and whenever anything malfunctions, McGyver
gets a call.

Sounds like McGyver needs some help in figuring out what's worth repairing
and
what's not.

Sounds like Doug needs to take care of Doug's things, and not worry about
what other people do.

It's a $50 retail unit, new in box. A nice little addition to our newly
remodeled kitchen. We'll use it about once or twice a year, but what the
heck?

Or do you think I ought to give up wine, too? Any other wise pearls of
wisdom about what I OUGHT to do? Do you have an e mail addy where I could
write and ask permission before doing anything? What would you charge for
this service?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote

A 1/2-13 threaded rod coupler from the hardware store might fit. If
it's the -other- standard 1/2" thread, try a lug nut.

jsw

Tried a 1/2" nut on it, but that was too small. The threads are pretty big.
May be metric. Just have to take it to Ace and try on their nuts. I'm
going to have to watch out how I ask one of those pretty little assistants
there when they ask me if they can help me .........

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote

You guys have ruined me as a consumer. I lost a cap for one of the
battery posts on my 700 watt inverter the other day. It's a 7 X 1 thread.
I have 6mm and 8mm nuts in my small bolt bin. 7mm I guess is not so
common. Since binding force is not super critical I made a nut for it out
of a scrap of brass I had laying in my scrap box. Took about ten minutes.
I know from a cost benefit standpoint it might not seem cheap, but it was.
It would have taken me 30-40 minutes to go to the store and see if they
had something that would fit. Might have had to go to two or three
stores.

I have bins of assorted nuts and bolts, which would take at least a week at
eight hours a day to sort. I have a rule NEVER to throw anything out. When
I do, I need it within three days. When I get into a situation like yours,
I can usually go to the bins or buckets and find a replacement.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote:

[...]

A SERIOUS wine drinker should NEVER be without a pocket full of campden
tablets..

Sulfites yummy, me want more...

Though it does make a convincing case for the box wines.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 11, 1:12*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I have bins of assorted nuts and bolts, which would take at least a week at
eight hours a day to sort. *...
Steve

I did too, until I made these thread gages:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...65927027495682
The coarse threads tops were turned to clear the root diameter of the
next larger size.

After using them for a little while I can tell the thread size and
don't need the gages.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 09:09:37 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Apr 11, 10:53Â*am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

. ..

http://www.amazon.com/Cork-Butler-Co.../dp/B0007RRFMW

We bought this wine bottle opener for $2 at a yard sale, not noticing that
it was missing a part. Â*It has never been used. Â*It is missing the part
that is at the top of the 3 piece cylindrical shaped thing right under the
handle. Â*What is sticking up now is a threaded end. Â*It looks like
standard threads, 1/2" dia.

If I could describe the missing nut, it would look like a small cup with
threads inside.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find such an item? Â*If it came to
it, I could make one by getting a nut, welding a top on it, and grinding
it down to round. Â*But the real deal would be better.

Steve

Do you have a tap the right size? Â*A drill dress that can double as a crude
lathe? Â*A chunk of metal that would be suitable? Â*Problem solved.

You guys have ruined me as a consumer. Â*I lost a cap for one of the battery
posts on my 700 watt inverter the other day. Â*It's a 7 X 1 thread. Â*I have
6mm and 8mm nuts in my small bolt bin. Â*7mm I guess is not so common. Â*Since
binding force is not super critical I made a nut for it out of a scrap of
brass I had laying in my scrap box. Â*Took about ten minutes. Â*I know from a
cost benefit standpoint it might not seem cheap, but it was. Â*It would have
taken me 30-40 minutes to go to the store and see if they had something that
would fit. Â*Might have had to go to two or three stores.- Hide quoted text -

Auto parts stores may have 7mm hardware.

jsw

Not an automotive standard, so you would need to know what part of
what car used that particular nut, and then hope someone actually
stocked it.
Lambretta scooters used some 7mm stuff.
Some hobby stuff (like RC cars) also use 7mm threads.
Some BMW exhaust manifold studs may have been 7mm, as well as some
skate-board axles.

And cannot forget the old beetle shift knob!!!

That said, making your own was likely a very effective use of time and
resources.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:10:36 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote

A 1/2-13 threaded rod coupler from the hardware store might fit. If
it's the -other- standard 1/2" thread, try a lug nut.

jsw

Tried a 1/2" nut on it, but that was too small. The threads are pretty big.
May be metric. Just have to take it to Ace and try on their nuts. I'm
going to have to watch out how I ask one of those pretty little assistants
there when they ask me if they can help me .........

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Perhaps 12mm. A 12mm acorn nut would likely work - or a 12mm chrome
lug-nut
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Apr 11, 10:53*am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

m...

[...]

I don't know what vehicles they are used on, but the 7mm screws I
needed for my Multifix tool post came from a blister pack display in
an auto parts store, and I've seen them frequently since then.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in
:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote

A 1/2-13 threaded rod coupler from the hardware store might
fit. If it's the -other- standard 1/2" thread, try a lug
nut.

jsw

Tried a 1/2" nut on it, but that was too small. The
threads are pretty big. May be metric. Just have to take
it to Ace and try on their nuts. I'm going to have to
watch out how I ask one of those pretty little assistants
there when they ask me if they can help me .........

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

I have one like that. I'll check the thread pitch and diameter
tomorrow.

Ken

wtb: special tap Jon[_4_] Metalworking 26 November 9th 19 04:18 AM
Wow, I must be someone special SteveB[_9_] Metalworking 7 August 16th 09 07:05 AM
Special pattress box Vet Tech UK diy 18 June 12th 09 10:26 PM
Special oil for lawnmower? JoeSpareBedroom Home Repair 14 May 3rd 07 04:19 PM