Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Berryman's fuel additive (well, it works in metal engines)

The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

--
Christopher A. Young

I track the mileage on my wife's SUV . I get that much variation from tank
to tank with doing the same type of driving . I suspect mine is caused by
varying amounts of alcohol in the fuel I purchase . I've heard it can vary,
don't know specifics .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It's pretty decent stuff, I use it in higher concentrations than
specified when fueling my mower and other yard equipment in the spring
after they sit unused in the winter (I also use Sta-Bil in all fuel). It
does seem to help clear out any gunk that was forming. For automotive
use, you really have to use it on a nearly empty tank to make sure you
get a decent concentration to the engine.

Assuming this is a fuel injected engine, I prefer to use one of the
pressure feed injector cleaner rigs that feeds the injectors directly
via the fuel rail test port. These units run (at idle) the engine on
100% cleaner and work very well. The cleaner rig runs $100-$200, but the
cans of pressurized cleaner are only ~$6-$8. You will see a very
noticeable improvement after use if the injectors were gunked up.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

My Blazer (200 4.3L V6) used to get right at 20 mpg.
Then it suddenly only did 18.

A few weeks ago, cursing through Oklahoma, I stopped
at Jet Petroleum to refuel - NO ALCOHOL.

For that one tank it was back up to 20 mpg.

But I guess YMMV?

--

Richard Lamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm guessing you are correct, about that. I've also found
that ethanol gasoline gets lower mileage, for me, also.

We use energy to ship the grain seeds, energy to drive a
tractor up and down the field to plant the seeds, energy to
drive a tractor up and down the field to tend the plants,
disk, harrow, etc. Energy to drive a tractor up and down the
field to harvest the plants (corn, grain, etc.) And then
energy to drive a tractor trailer up and down the road to
take the grain to the factory. Energy to distill the mash.
And then energy to drive a tractor trailer up and down the
road to get the ethanol to the gasoline factory so that we
can get lower mileage with our fuel as we drive up and down
the road.

Color me stupid, but I don't see the advantage.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...

My Blazer (200 4.3L V6) used to get right at 20 mpg.
Then it suddenly only did 18.

A few weeks ago, cursing through Oklahoma, I stopped
at Jet Petroleum to refuel - NO ALCOHOL.

For that one tank it was back up to 20 mpg.

But I guess YMMV?

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I bet you're right. Alcohol reduces mileage, is my finding.
Besides, with the $2.97 stuff, I did add 15 ounces of
combustible liquid to my tank.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Snag" wrote in message

I track the mileage on my wife's SUV . I get that much
variation from tank
to tank with doing the same type of driving . I suspect
mine is caused by
varying amounts of alcohol in the fuel I purchase . I've
heard it can vary,
don't know specifics .

--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Can't say I've heard of that, but it sounds interesting.
I've heard of taking a vehicle to the repair garage for fuel
injector cleaning.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Can't say I've heard of that, but it sounds interesting.
I've heard of taking a vehicle to the repair garage for fuel
injector cleaning.

The cleaner rig is what the garage uses to clean your injectors and
charge you $100 for the 20 minutes of time and the can of cleaner they
buy in bulk for $3.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm guessing you are correct, about that. I've also found
that ethanol gasoline gets lower mileage, for me, also.

We use energy to ship the grain seeds, energy to drive a
tractor up and down the field to plant the seeds, energy to
drive a tractor up and down the field to tend the plants,
disk, harrow, etc. Energy to drive a tractor up and down the
field to harvest the plants (corn, grain, etc.) And then
energy to drive a tractor trailer up and down the road to
take the grain to the factory. Energy to distill the mash.
And then energy to drive a tractor trailer up and down the
road to get the ethanol to the gasoline factory so that we
can get lower mileage with our fuel as we drive up and down
the road.

Color me stupid, but I don't see the advantage.

The advantage is that the government is giving your tax dollars to the
folks doing all the growing and tending and distilling and trucking to
subsidize a non economical and environmentally destructive process. Your
food costs also rise as a result of more profits turning corn into
alcohol than animal feed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...

My Blazer (200 4.3L V6) used to get right at 20 mpg.
Then it suddenly only did 18.

A few weeks ago, cursing through Oklahoma, I stopped
at Jet Petroleum to refuel - NO ALCOHOL.

For that one tank it was back up to 20 mpg.

But I guess YMMV?

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 31, 11:47*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Can't say I've heard of that, but it sounds interesting.
I've heard of taking a vehicle to the repair garage for fuel
injector cleaning.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Pete C." wrote in message

ter.com...

[...]

Me, I'm a firm believer in injector cleaners.

Last year my '93 RX-7 failed its emission test (180,000 Km) although
it runs like a top.:-)).

Scratching our heads (and other body parts) we concluded that the
secondary injectors were leaking. This from the fact that the engine
would idle a little rough after some "spirited" acceleration and
driving. Since the secondaries are only used during this spirited
phase of operation we concluded that these secondaries were leaking.

Ran the tank down and dumped in a bottle of Canadian Tire "finest"
magic fluid.

Passed the next test with flying colours! Had to explain at the test
station as to what we had done to cause the improvement! I don't
think they believed me.

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 31, 11:28*am, CaveLamb wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

There is no question the mileage is lower when ethanol is mixed in.

Ethanol has lower btu/gal, and the engine must also enrichen the
mixture (add more fuel for a given amount of air) when alcohol is
added.

To run E10 I had to rejet my non-fuel-injection motorcycle.

I believe fuel labeled E10 may contain less than but no more than 10%
ethanol.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sounds like all American business? Does the car work better,
after that?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

The cleaner rig is what the garage uses to clean your
injectors and
charge you $100 for the 20 minutes of time and the can of
cleaner they
buy in bulk for $3.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ah, that explains it. My money is removed from me by force
(due to taxes) to pay for something I don't want, (ethanol)
that makes things I do want (gasoline) work more poorly?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

The advantage is that the government is giving your tax
dollars to the
folks doing all the growing and tending and distilling and
trucking to
subsidize a non economical and environmentally destructive
process. Your
food costs also rise as a result of more profits turning
corn into
alcohol than animal feed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lets see if I have this right. You had to buy (from your
own money) injector cleaner. To pass a test (that you
purchased with your money) that was mandated by elected
officials (whose salaries come from your money)?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"wolfgang" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've heard they are considering E-15, to further help save
the planet. If it's not working, yet, do it harder.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dave__67" wrote in message

There is no question the mileage is lower when ethanol is
mixed in.

Ethanol has lower btu/gal, and the engine must also enrichen
the
mixture (add more fuel for a given amount of air) when
alcohol is
added.

To run E10 I had to rejet my non-fuel-injection motorcycle.

I believe fuel labeled E10 may contain less than but no more
than 10%
ethanol.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sounds like all American business? Does the car work better,
after that?

Yes, these cleaners work quite well. If you have a scan tool you can
snapshot before and after fuel trim values and see the difference after
cleaning and a test drive.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

The cleaner rig is what the garage uses to clean your
injectors and
charge you $100 for the 20 minutes of time and the can of
cleaner they
buy in bulk for $3.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ah, that explains it. My money is removed from me by force
(due to taxes) to pay for something I don't want, (ethanol)
that makes things I do want (gasoline) work more poorly?

You forgot the "to make big agribusinesses richer and make your food
more expensive".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

The advantage is that the government is giving your tax
dollars to the
folks doing all the growing and tending and distilling and
trucking to
subsidize a non economical and environmentally destructive
process. Your
food costs also rise as a result of more profits turning
corn into
alcohol than animal feed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That's why I have friends, to remind me when I forget things
like

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ah, that explains it. My money is removed from me by force
(due to taxes) to pay for something I don't want,
(ethanol)
that makes things I do want (gasoline) work more poorly?

You forgot the "to make big agribusinesses richer and make
your food
more expensive".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

wolfgang wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:41:02 -0700 (PDT):

Me, I'm a firm believer in injector cleaners.

Last year my '93 RX-7 failed its emission test (180,000 Km) although
it runs like a top.:-)).

Scratching our heads (and other body parts) we concluded that the
secondary injectors were leaking. This from the fact that the engine
would idle a little rough after some "spirited" acceleration and
driving. Since the secondaries are only used during this spirited
phase of operation we concluded that these secondaries were leaking.

Ran the tank down and dumped in a bottle of Canadian Tire "finest"
magic fluid.

Passed the next test with flying colours! Had to explain at the test
station as to what we had done to cause the improvement! I don't
think they believed me.

Wolfgang

If you had let it go, you might have run into the problem with the old
1st gen RX-7s. When the injectors got leaky enough they would flood
the chambers from the rail pressure after running and you would lose
the seal, and get no compression for restart.
The hack was to wire a switch to the fuel pump relay and kill the
engine by cutting off the fuel pump. This left no pressure on the
fuel rail, so the injectors wouldn't leak into the chambers.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 31, 10:30*pm, (dan) wrote:
[...]

Dan,

My son did exactly that with his second gen '87 RX-7.

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:45:40 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'm guessing you are correct, about that. I've also found
that ethanol gasoline gets lower mileage, for me, also.

We use energy to ship the grain seeds, energy to drive a
tractor up and down the field to plant the seeds, energy to
drive a tractor up and down the field to tend the plants,
disk, harrow, etc. Energy to drive a tractor up and down the
field to harvest the plants (corn, grain, etc.) And then
energy to drive a tractor trailer up and down the road to
take the grain to the factory. Energy to distill the mash.
And then energy to drive a tractor trailer up and down the
road to get the ethanol to the gasoline factory so that we
can get lower mileage with our fuel as we drive up and down
the road.

Color me stupid, but I don't see the advantage.

--

I've seen reports that range from 1/2 gal up to 1 gal of diesel fuel
is required to make one gal of ethanol. It's a bad deal anyway you
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

That's why nobody in his right mind does it with his own money.

They use other people's money (OPM) aka "stupid investors" or, more
than likely now, government cash.

Since governments never produce anything of sales value it is the
taxpayer that pays for this fiasco.

Wolfgang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of a quote from way back...

Whenever otherwise intelligent people do stupid things,
there is usually politics involved.

--

Richard Lamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

wolfgang wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Thu, 31 Mar 2011 20:38:01 -0700 (PDT):

If you had let it go, you might have run into the problem with the old
1st gen RX-7s. *When the injectors got leaky enough they would flood
the chambers from the rail pressure after running and you would lose
the seal, and get no compression for restart.
The hack was to wire a switch to the fuel pump relay and kill the
engine by cutting off the fuel pump. *This left no pressure on the
fuel rail, so the injectors wouldn't leak into the chambers.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Dan,

My son did exactly that with his second gen '87 RX-7.

I always wondered why not just replace the injectors?
Any idea? Too expensive?
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I believe it is "the equivalent of 1/2 to 1 gallon of deisel fuel"
because other fuels can be used.

Reminds me of a quote from way back...

Whenever otherwise intelligent people do stupid things,
there is usually politics involved.

Definition of politics:

Poly for many
tics - for little bloodsuckers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dan wrote:
I always wondered why not just replace the injectors?
Any idea? Too expensive?

Injectors aren't cheap. You can clean however clean them if you are handy
and have the right tools:

http://www.rowand.net/shop/tech/DIYF...orCleaning.htm

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Can't say I've heard of that, but it sounds interesting.
I've heard of taking a vehicle to the repair garage for fuel
injector cleaning.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Pete C." wrote in message

ter.com...

[...]

My 2001 Ranger (3.0) just passed Californias smog test last Monday with
a nearly perfect score. Its got 197,000 miles on it. The smog tech
commented that it was one of the cleanest engines he has ever seen, and
was astounded at the number of miles on the engine.

I put a can of Berrymans (AutoZone) in 4 times a year. Last time was 3
months ago. So Im due again.

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wolfgang on Fri, 1 Apr 2011 12:11:10 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:
[...]

Ethanol - such a deal. The Government gives you a tax credit for
producing, provides protection from competition in the form of a
tariff on imports, and then mandates that everybody buys you product.

If that isn't "crony capitalism" (or "Corporate welfare") I'd like
to know what is.
--
pyotr filipivich
"Obama saying I should be happy about a $1.85 trillion deficit
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 31, 12:22*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Ah, that explains it. My money is removed from me by force
(due to taxes) to pay for something I don't want, (ethanol)
that makes things I do want (gasoline) work more poorly?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Pete C." wrote in message

ter.com...

The advantage is that the government is giving your tax
dollars to the
folks doing all the growing and tending and distilling and
trucking to
subsidize a non economical and environmentally destructive
process. Your
food costs also rise as a result of more profits turning
corn into
alcohol than animal feed.

And don't forget with more food crops going to fuel production the
supply of food to eat goes down and the price goes up. Also since
livestock, chickens, dairy etc eat to grow, their food becomes more
expensive and the savings get passes along to those folks that eat
meat eggs and milk.

The mandated use of alcohol in motor fuels has also caused damage to
fuel lines seals and caused all sorts of grief with small engines like
chain saws, mowers pump motors etc. This kind of loss seems small but
when millions of machines die an early death that loss causes the
economy to suffer yet again.

Roger Shoaf
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RS at work wrote:

The mandated use of alcohol in motor fuels has also caused damage to
fuel lines seals and caused all sorts of grief with small engines like
chain saws, mowers pump motors etc. This kind of loss seems small but
when millions of machines die an early death that loss causes the
economy to suffer yet again.

Oh, but don't you see? That's the "broken window" theory of prosperity,
that the liberals and socialists are so enamored of. The more you destroy,
the more people you need to hire at taxpayer expense to replace it, which
creaes lots and lots of JOBS!
end sarcasm

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Ethanol - such a deal. The Government gives you a tax credit for
producing, provides protection from competition in the form of a
tariff on imports, and then mandates that everybody buys you product.

If that isn't "crony capitalism" (or "Corporate welfare") I'd like
to know what is.

Communism.

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dan wrote:

wolfgang wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Thu, 31 Mar 2011 20:38:01 -0700 (PDT):

If you had let it go, you might have run into the problem with the old
1st gen RX-7s. When the injectors got leaky enough they would flood
the chambers from the rail pressure after running and you would lose
the seal, and get no compression for restart.
The hack was to wire a switch to the fuel pump relay and kill the
engine by cutting off the fuel pump. This left no pressure on the
fuel rail, so the injectors wouldn't leak into the chambers.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Dan,

My son did exactly that with his second gen '87 RX-7.

I always wondered why not just replace the injectors?
Any idea? Too expensive?

A can of the in tank cleaner is about $3, a can of the pro cleaner for
use with the cleaning rig I noted is about $6, the entire cleaning rig
is $100-$200. A single fuel injector runs $150-$200, multiply that times
8 for a V8 engine and the cleaning is vastly cheaper.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Pete C. wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Sun, 03 Apr 2011 11:43:47 -0500:

dan wrote:

[...]

I agree. That's why I wanted to know why the RX-7 folks took to
wiring in a fuel kill switch, rather than just cleaning/replacing the
injectors.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

fa: big huge pile of wooden boat magazines (metal related because many have nice old engines, etc) William Noble Metalworking 1 October 26th 08 09:45 PM
Stud and metal detector that works asalcedo UK diy 1 October 24th 07 04:02 PM
Stabil Fuel Additive Jack Home Repair 11 November 27th 05 09:05 PM
Are 2-cycle engines or 4 cylce engines 'better'? dean Home Repair 21 June 14th 05 03:46 PM