Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Holding round objects in vise

Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 28, 5:07*pm, Ignoramus7104
wrote:
Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

The most useful fixture I have is one of these:
http://www.collectibles-articles.com...0540431856.jpg

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus7104" wrote in message
Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

Vee blocks will easily crush tubing etc. if used in a vise.

For low /medium production work usually I use aluminum soft jaws in the vise
and after placing a spacer between them I will bore at two places a few thou
oversize so as to accept 2 workpieces per station

--If I do this with 3 double lock vises on the table this nets me 12 parts
per cycle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 16:07:12 -0500, Ignoramus7104
wrote:

Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things,

One possible solution flat round is what is called a finger
plate or finger vise. Nowadays these are generally shop
made.
http://www.lautard.com/books.htm
for picture see
http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/FingerPlate.html
http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalo...Plate_Kit.html
http://www.swarfmaker.com/benchblock_mclean.jpg

or, conversely, tall things.

If for end working, your best solution may not be a vise [in
the usual sense] at all, but rather a substantial slotted
right angle iron, with "pinch" clamps or cotters you can
make yourself. Drawback is that you will need a different
clamp or cotter for each diameter, but you can accommodate
tapered or threaded stock and machine the pinch clamp* to a
larger size to reuse. It is also easy to set up accurate and
repeatable angles. Magnetic sine bars are best [most
accurate and easiest to use] , but a good protractor is
generally adequate for home shop projects.
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...tterclosed.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...cotteropen.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...teroutside.jpg
* avoid the temptation to use a set screw. These will
generally mar the work and don't hold as well as a good
close fitting pinch clamp or cotter.

Most of the mail order mill supplies should have angle irons
in stock. Get one that is about max for your machine. For
some examples see
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

I have mounted a 4" 3-jaw chuck on a plate which clamps to my mill
table.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus7104 wrote:

Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

I'm not a machinist, but the first obvious answer is the v-blocks;
but if you're holding something delicate, you could conceivably
make a pair of jaw inserts with semicylindrical notches that match
the OD of the part.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-29, Pete Snell wrote:
On 3/28/2011 5:07 PM, Ignoramus7104 wrote:
Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

Iggy, do you mean a bench vise, or a milling machine vise? If it's a
bench vise, these things are pretty handy.

http://www.travers.com/prodlist.asp?RequestData=CA_Search&q=61-204-147&search_method=catpage&tag=STP

I mean a milling vise, sorry.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus7104" wrote in message
Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

I have a bunch of Beech blocks bored with different size holes that
are a hair undersized then band sawed in half. They've lasted for
decades and were free.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:38:25 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

m...

Why not get a vise with built-in vees? http://goo.gl/wXyQh

--
Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left,
but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:38:25 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

"Ignoramus7104" wrote in message
om...
Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

I have a bunch of Beech blocks bored with different size holes that
are a hair undersized then band sawed in half. They've lasted for
decades and were free.

Why not get a vise with built-in vees? http://goo.gl/wXyQh

--
Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the
left,
but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks.
-- Jimmy
Wales

That's a nice vise! I just might bid on it, thanks. The hardwood
blocks won't mar a part and have a lot more gripping area. You should
see my pliers made from 4' long two-by-fours!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

To pluck your eyebrows? ;-)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 17:31:18 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
Why not get a vise with built-in vees? http://goo.gl/wXyQh

That's a nice vise! I just might bid on it, thanks. The hardwood

They are nice. If I ever use mine daily, I'll add a quick crank to
the front of the knob.

blocks won't mar a part and have a lot more gripping area. You should
see my pliers made from 4' long two-by-fours!

I believe you. I wouldn't believe anyone else, but I do you.

--
The general effect was exactly like a microscopic view of a
small detachment of black beetles, in search of a dead rat.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news:4dudnSqL0ogdZQ3QnZ2dnUVZ_jGdnZ2d@giganews. com...
[...]

Which reminds me....if anyone is interested..I just scored a number of
vises.

I bought 15 vises last week, from 3"-8". Columbian, Parker, Wilton,
Yost etc etc.
All need cleanup and paint. A couple..the Wilton bullet vises, need jaw
plates, which Ive got a source for.

Some HEAVY vises..including on that is designed to be mounted on the end
of a horizonal pipe. Looks like a post vise...but....?

And I also wound up with a number of chain and jaw style vises for pipe.
Rigid, Reed, Nye.

All are for sale, if anyone is interested.

Gunner .....who already had 6 vises around the shop space...now is up to
over 20.

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:38:25 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

"Ignoramus7104" wrote in
message
om...
[...]

You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-AidT on it, because
it's
Teflon coated.

My Albrecht keyless chuck grabs bits with such tenacity I built the
"pliers", works great and won't damage the chuck. Works great for
tightening bits that you can't afford to have slip.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 17:31:18 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
Why not get a vise with built-in vees? http://goo.gl/wXyQh

That's a nice vise! I just might bid on it, thanks. The hardwood

They are nice. If I ever use mine daily, I'll add a quick crank to
the front of the knob.

blocks won't mar a part and have a lot more gripping area. You
should
see my pliers made from 4' long two-by-fours!

I believe you. I wouldn't believe anyone else, but I do you.

Have I ever lied to you? ...that you know of...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

My Albrecht keyless chuck grabs bits with such tenacity I built the
"pliers", works great and won't damage the chuck. Works great for
tightening bits that you can't afford to have slip.

How many bit can you afford to let slip? They all cause damage when
they slip.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus7104" wrote in message
Once in a while, i need to hold round objects. It would be either
thin, flat round things, or, conversely, tall things.

The axis of the round object would be parallel to Z.

What is the right way to hold them in a vise? With vee blocks?
Anything else?

My 2 larger screw less vises both have V cuts in one jaw that work fine for
most round objects. Actually two V cuts. One horizontal and one vertical.
This allows my to mill on the end of a small round object or square off the
end of a long piece of tube or rod.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

My Albrecht keyless chuck grabs bits with such tenacity I built the
"pliers", works great and won't damage the chuck. Works great for
tightening bits that you can't afford to have slip.

How many bit can you afford to let slip? They all cause damage
when
they slip.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-AidT on it, because
it's
Teflon coated.

Sometimes the workpiece is more valuable than other times.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

My Albrecht keyless chuck grabs bits with such tenacity I built the
"pliers", works great and won't damage the chuck. Works great for
tightening bits that you can't afford to have slip.

How many bit can you afford to let slip? They all cause damage
when
they slip.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-AidT on it, because
it's
Teflon coated.

Sometimes the workpiece is more valuable than other times.

Still, it rarely pays to damage any chuck.

turning objects godwin Woodturning 6 September 1st 08 01:53 AM
Falling objects Robert Allison Home Repair 11 June 3rd 07 10:29 PM
Holding threaded rod in a vise Matty F UK diy 49 October 16th 06 11:30 AM
Musing about wood going round and round. Where it stops nobodyknows! Arch Woodturning 3 April 4th 06 07:50 PM
Odd objects to spread glue with David Woodworking 8 March 30th 06 10:57 AM