Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Nice Hurco at auction

http://www.hoffhilk.net/cgi-bin/mnli...?hoffhilk59/70

Anyone in the market and near Madison, WI. should keep an eye on this.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-01, Karl Townsend wrote:
http://www.hoffhilk.net/cgi-bin/mnli...?hoffhilk59/70

Anyone in the market and near Madison, WI. should keep an eye on this.

Karl

Looks pretty awesome.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-01, Karl Townsend wrote:
http://www.hoffhilk.net/cgi-bin/mnli...?hoffhilk59/70

Anyone in the market and near Madison, WI. should keep an eye on this.

Karl

Looks pretty awesome.

Waste of floor space IMO.

Hard to make any money if you have to constantly hover over a machine
sweeping up chips, changing tools by hand, etc.

The Torq-Cut 22 might be worth while if not for the POS DX-2 controller
that damn near brought Bridgeport to its knees about 10 years ago.

When a business is auctioned off, usually there's good reason....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 16:25:53 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"

m...
On 2011-04-01, Karl Townsend wrote:
http://www.hoffhilk.net/cgi-bin/mnli...?hoffhilk59/70

Anyone in the market and near Madison, WI. should keep an eye on this.

Karl

Looks pretty awesome.

Waste of floor space IMO.

Hard to make any money if you have to constantly hover over a machine
sweeping up chips, changing tools by hand, etc.

The Torq-Cut 22 might be worth while if not for the POS DX-2 controller
that damn near brought Bridgeport to its knees about 10 years ago.

When a business is auctioned off, usually there's good reason....

Yep, ain't nobody in industry gonna bid on this. Now, it would be one
hell-of-a toy for an HSM type. I think it will go cheap, could be
wrong.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

om...
On 2011-04-01, Karl Townsend wrote:
http://www.hoffhilk.net/cgi-bin/mnli...?hoffhilk59/70

Anyone in the market and near Madison, WI. should keep an eye on this.

Karl

Looks pretty awesome.

Waste of floor space IMO.

Hard to make any money if you have to constantly hover over a machine
sweeping up chips, changing tools by hand, etc.

The Torq-Cut 22 might be worth while if not for the POS DX-2 controller
that damn near brought Bridgeport to its knees about 10 years ago.

When a business is auctioned off, usually there's good reason....

Yep, ain't nobody in industry gonna bid on this. Now, it would be one
hell-of-a toy for an HSM type. I think it will go cheap, could be
wrong.

In fairness, I miss only one thing from the more industrial CNC
machines: the tool changer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news:aa2dnVdGutNdxQvQnZ2dnUVZ_oadnZ2d@giganews. com...
On 2011-04-01, Karl Townsend wrote:
http://www.hoffhilk.net/cgi-bin/mnli...?hoffhilk59/70

Anyone in the market and near Madison, WI. should keep an eye on this.

Karl

Looks pretty awesome.

Waste of floor space IMO.

Hard to make any money if you have to constantly hover over a machine
sweeping up chips, changing tools by hand, etc.

The Torq-Cut 22 might be worth while if not for the POS DX-2 controller
that damn near brought Bridgeport to its knees about 10 years ago.

When a business is auctioned off, usually there's good reason....

Yep, ain't nobody in industry gonna bid on this. Now, it would be one
hell-of-a toy for an HSM type. I think it will go cheap, could be
wrong.

In fairness, I miss only one thing from the more industrial CNC
machines: the tool changer.

Try running A2 die steel dry with carbide insertable then

( I dare you )

--As soon as a couple of blue chips end up inside your shirt you'll
instantly regret not having the full sheetmetal enclosure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-01, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

I had this happen on the manual Bridgeport. It was unpleasant. Here, I
do have an enclosure, and additionally, coolant.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Try running A2 die steel dry with carbide insertable then

( I dare you )

--As soon as a couple of blue chips end up inside your shirt you'll
instantly regret not having the full sheetmetal enclosure.

Yep. I like the Sandvik R390 insert. Run it dry and it puts all the
heat in the chip. Even 4140 comes off red hot. But I haven't got room
in my crowded home shop for full enclosures. So I just put up a piece
of sheet metal. At least for an HSM open machines make it easier to
work on oversize parts.

Now, I would like a tool changer. My lathes have one and its real
handy. Maybe someday for the mill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Near as I can tell the servos are fine (and plenty powerful) on mine, but
the encoders are crap by today's standards. Heck, two out of three of them
fell apart. The third one might when I get around to taking it off. Its on
the top of the spindle screw and its awkward to get to, but away it goes
when I get there. Not enough resolution either.

FWIW, i really like the usdigital.com encoders. Get differential units
around 2000 count

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Try running A2 die steel dry with carbide insertable then

( I dare you )

--As soon as a couple of blue chips end up inside your shirt you'll
instantly regret not having the full sheetmetal enclosure.

Yep. I like the Sandvik R390 insert. Run it dry and it puts all the
heat in the chip. Even 4140 comes off red hot. But I haven't got room
in my crowded home shop for full enclosures. So I just put up a piece
of sheet metal. At least for an HSM open machines make it easier to
work on oversize parts.

Now, I would like a tool changer. My lathes have one and its real
handy. Maybe someday for the mill.

Yep a tool changer would sure be nice. Probably never do it on the mini
machines, but I have an idea for the Hurco. Have a couple ideas that I need
to experiment with when the retro is done.

I made open top full enclosures for the mini mills. The Hurco will get a
fence enclosure on the table when I get everything else figured out.
Something that will set inside the outermost boundary of the table. Won't
be as good for spray, but then at a third the RPM it won't need to be.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CT 40 tooling

Seems to me somebody here uses 40 taper

Quite a few items of CT40 tooling here.

Lots 80 thru 122

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/event.php?event=13621

Brian Lawson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-02, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ignoramus10687" wrote in message
You'd also want to throw out the POS control on an old Hurco.
And the servo's.

Why the servos?

Near as I can tell the servos are fine (and plenty powerful) on mine, but
the encoders are crap by today's standards. Heck, two out of three of them
fell apart. The third one might when I get around to taking it off. Its on
the top of the spindle screw and its awkward to get to, but away it goes
when I get there. Not enough resolution either.

I was very happy with US digital encoders, I have five on my milling
machine.