Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gold Rush ......... any followers or watchers

I have been watching Gold Rush on TV, the story of a group of men who go to
Alaska to look for gold.

I have experience with gold mining, having had a mining setup for three
years. The most we found in one day was two ounces. The least was about as
much as could buy half a pack of cigarettes.

From the start, I could see things they were doing wrong, but figured they
would solve their problems. Now they have a person experienced in mining,
and he is telling them things that I would have told them the first week.
The gold table was a bust, as the only ones I saw that worked well only
worked on a perfectly flat showroom floor under perfect conditions.

I am interested in how this will turn out. I'm sure they will make just
enough to have a season two, even if it amounts to the producers ponying up
and salting the mine, or just some behind the scenes infusions of cash or
equipment or supplies. They have a winner of a show, and they're not going
to let it die before they get a few seasons out of it. Or a spin off or
six.

I got a 14' derelict travel trailer from the Nevada Test Site and stripped
it down to the frame. Beefed it up, put an expanded metal deck on it, put a
100 gallon tank, 2" 5hp recirculating water pump, and a 10' long x 16" wide
sluice. Fancy surrey canvas awning top over the whole thing, as Mojave
county Arizona heat can be brutal. Made a 3' long x 16" diameter grizzly.
It all worked pretty sweet. We ran the talings a few times that were left
in the water trough through a "poop chute", a piece of 4" corrugated leach
field pipe sawn in half on the horizontal with a mild water flow. That
will catch fine gold. Then pan the black sand and fines. We never found
enough to make it worth the six to eight hours to do it, so we were pretty
confident in our machine.

The next step would have been a motorized lift for raw materials, but we
just used five gallon buckets.

Has anyone here had any serious experience with gold mining of any kind? We
did placer deposits and found angular placer gold and gold in white quartz
of jewelry quality. Anyone have any comments on the show?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
Download the book.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I know a local ebay seller who also set up some kind of a gold mining
outfit, kind of like you descrbied, and also went on to mine
gold. Results were kind of similar, he did get some gold, but not
enough to make it worthwhile.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 22:38:32 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

I have been watching Gold Rush on TV, the story of a group of men who go to
Alaska to look for gold.

Can't stand the melodrama. I wouldn't mind watching a show about gold that
is not peppered with **** and vinegar characters. Where did I see that
before?

--
Boris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Have been in tons of mines though, I can spot tailings 20 miles away.
That was one of my favorite past times out there in Nevada. I read
your post about 3 hours ago and started looking for a mine that I've
been unable to find again for many years. Well thanks to some silly
GPS hunting games I found it! It's the Anniversary Mine.

N36 12 57 62 W114 42 25 43

We went there with two dune buggies through the washes from Nellis
back when it was first paved as separate directions in Feb. 1984. I
remember approaching it from the North East, but I see now it would be
a lot easier from the South. The roads around the mountains were
terrible, like with half the tires hanging off the edge. That mine is
very scary it has about 4-5 horizontal shafts that are connected by
about the as many shafts nearly vertical approx. 75 degrees. I
distinctly remember thinking when we where there that the probability
of dead people at the bottom of those shafts would be very likely. The
wooden ladders back then where very shady. They probably have closed
in the entrance by now cause that is a VERY dangerous mine, but I know
another way into it, if I ever get back that way.

I also found out what they were mining, been looking for that
information for 27 years. I had given the soft ball sized crystal that
I took from the mine to my bro. and never could find anyone who knew
what it was from a description. All that I had heard was from the guy
who led the way and he said it was for electric transmission
insulators. I had always wondered if it was asbestos... Guess not,
doesn't seem to be mined anywhere near NV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulexite

Hmmm, the specimen I had was about 3 times bigger than the one shown.

http://www.gemhut.com/ulexite.htm

$44 ! Wow, wonder if anyone buys the stuff. Gave my bro. a good
$500 rock ! Might have to go back and get some more now, that's IF I
get back to sin city.

Haven't found any gold , yet.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Sunworshipper" SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote in message

Have been in tons of mines though, I can spot tailings 20 miles away.
That was one of my favorite past times out there in Nevada. I read
your post about 3 hours ago and started looking for a mine that I've
been unable to find again for many years. Well thanks to some silly
GPS hunting games I found it! It's the Anniversary Mine.

N36 12 57 62 W114 42 25 43

I have been in that area, and it is accessible from the North Shore Road.
It is quite desolate, but the washes make it easy travel for a dune buggy or
an ATV.

We went there with two dune buggies through the washes from Nellis
back when it was first paved as separate directions in Feb. 1984. I
remember approaching it from the North East, but I see now it would be
a lot easier from the South. The roads around the mountains were
terrible, like with half the tires hanging off the edge. That mine is
very scary it has about 4-5 horizontal shafts that are connected by
about the as many shafts nearly vertical approx. 75 degrees. I
distinctly remember thinking when we where there that the probability
of dead people at the bottom of those shafts would be very likely.

It is very likely that the Mob has planted some people there over the years.

The
wooden ladders back then where very shady. They probably have closed
in the entrance by now cause that is a VERY dangerous mine, but I know
another way into it, if I ever get back that way.

Exploring mines is tricky stuff.

I also found out what they were mining, been looking for that
information for 27 years. I had given the soft ball sized crystal that
I took from the mine to my bro. and never could find anyone who knew
what it was from a description. All that I had heard was from the guy
who led the way and he said it was for electric transmission
insulators. I had always wondered if it was asbestos... Guess not,
doesn't seem to be mined anywhere near NV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulexite

Hmmm, the specimen I had was about 3 times bigger than the one shown.

http://www.gemhut.com/ulexite.htm

$44 ! Wow, wonder if anyone buys the stuff. Gave my bro. a good
$500 rock ! Might have to go back and get some more now, that's IF I
get back to sin city.

What, you left the glitz and glamour of Las Vegas? Where did you go?

Haven't found any gold , yet.

We found ours over at Meadview, AZ.

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have been watching Gold Rush on TV, the story of a group of men who go
Alaska to look for gold.

Can't stand the melodrama. I wouldn't mind watching a show about gold
that
is not peppered with **** and vinegar characters. Where did I see that
before?

--
Boris

I can't stand to watch American Choppers any more. The old man is a psycho.
The kid is a wimp. And the old man needs to go clothes shopping. He has
worn that same old costume on every show since day one. I guess he can't
see he's getting flabby triceps and three chins, and isn't tank top material
any more. He's stuck in the seventies, and I think the booze and drugs have
taken their toll

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Honestly I find it hard to abide another collection of people
having a soap opera, regardless of how interesting their tasks may be. Oh
for a new paradigm, where people get along, lessons get learned without
drama and we all move on together...

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

I can't stand to watch American Choppers any more.

So don't. Duh.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer on 01 Feb 2011 17:20:33 GMT typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
--Honestly I find it hard to abide another collection of people
having a soap opera, regardless of how interesting their tasks may be. Oh
for a new paradigm, where people get along, lessons get learned without
drama and we all move on together...

Great idea. Too bad it just doesn't have whatever it takes to be
a Great Show. Which is why all that "drama" in the first place. This
is entertainment, not documentary. B-)

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
Steve B wrote:

I can't stand to watch American Choppers any more.

So don't. Duh.

Cheers!
Rich

Hey , I watched that show ! Once ... for about 15 minutes . I rate it at
about the same level as rasslin' . Which means that if it's the only thing
on I turn off the TeeVee .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
Steve B wrote:

I can't stand to watch American Choppers any more.

So don't. Duh.

Cheers!
Rich

No wonder I plonked you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
I have been watching Gold Rush on TV, the story of a group of men who go to
Alaska to look for gold.

I have experience with gold mining, having had a mining setup for three
years. The most we found in one day was two ounces. The least was about as
much as could buy half a pack of cigarettes.

From the start, I could see things they were doing wrong, but figured they
would solve their problems. Now they have a person experienced in mining,
and he is telling them things that I would have told them the first week.

The show lost a bunch of credibility when they
started spoiling for a fight with the new guy.

If I were in their shoes and an experienced miner
showed up, the first words out of my mouth would
be "show me how to fix it", not snarling over
my ****ing grounds.

And I don't miss Dorsey at all.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
--Honestly I find it hard to abide another collection of people
having a soap opera, regardless of how interesting their tasks may be. Oh
for a new paradigm, where people get along, lessons get learned without
drama and we all move on together...

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas

The whole thing is interesting, as I have experience gold mining. Yet, for
these guys to pony up $250k and not know their asses from holes in the
ground, I don't have much sympathy for them when they make newbie mistakes.
They all seem to know everything, yet, duh, they make mistakes on the lowest
levels. I will say that without Harness, they'd be dead in the water by
now. I am just hanging around to see what happens next, as I know that this
is not a real program. Just like when I watch home decorating shows with
metalwork or welding, I know it just doesn't happen anywhere near that in
real life.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
Download the book.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What, you left the glitz and glamour of Las Vegas? Where did you go?

Haven't found any gold , yet.

We found ours over at Meadview, AZ.

I got out just in time, felt like my house was the last to sell. I
even left a month before it sold, took some major chances. Plan was to
leave the year before, but took on one more year contract, and would
have made a killing. And ended up in Texas, but on a low budget ended
up a mile SW of being a Yooper. Temperature change from high to low is
about 140 degrees. I'm really beginning to like it, was fed up on dust
and brown. Left june '08.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I do not watch anything with melodrama, I especially cannot stand
to see crying women, it is ****nig painful.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24017 wrote:

I do not watch anything with melodrama, I especially cannot stand
to see crying women, it is ****nig painful.

I watch some sitcoms, primarily because there's usually a laugh or two,
and there's nothing else on. But I find myself talking back at them -
"Well, why don't you just ..." sort of stuff, but then I realize that
if any of the characters had had common sense in the first place, they
wouldn't have had an episode to air!

I read somewhere recently that people watch sitcoms because they like
to see the antics of people who are stupider than they themselves are. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Steve B wrote:

I can't stand to watch American Choppers any more.

So don't. Duh.

No wonder I plonked you.

Well, you're pretty damned attentive for a plonker! :-

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/1/2011 1:46 PM, Rich Grise wrote:

I read somewhere recently that people watch sitcoms because they like
to see the antics of people who are stupider than they themselves are. ;-)

Given the popularity of sitcoms, that's scary...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/1/2011 12:30 PM, Steve B wrote:

The whole thing is interesting, as I have experience gold mining. Yet, for
these guys to pony up $250k and not know their asses from holes in the
ground, I don't have much sympathy for them when they make newbie mistakes.
They all seem to know everything, yet, duh, they make mistakes on the lowest
levels.

Yeah, not much sympathy here either. I know nothing about that level of
gold mining. And if I had a quarter mi to invest, it wouldn't be in gold
mining... But if I were to give it a try, I'd probably spend a year
researching equipment and methods, and would damn sure try to hook up
someone that knew what they were doing as a partner.

I had to laugh, in one episode, one of the guys asks "Where is the
gold?". Where ya find it of course!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Steve B wrote:

I can't stand to watch American Choppers any more.

So don't. Duh.

No wonder I plonked you.

Well, you're pretty damned attentive for a plonker! :-

Thanks!
Rich

If you look , you'll see he responded thru my reply to him ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 14:10:07 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 2/1/2011 1:46 PM, Rich Grise wrote:

I read somewhere recently that people watch sitcoms because they like
to see the antics of people who are stupider than they themselves are. ;-)

Given the popularity of sitcoms, that's scary...

Jon

And all this time I thought they were learning how to handle their own
life by example.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2/1/2011 1:46 PM, Rich Grise wrote:

I read somewhere recently that people watch sitcoms because they like
to see the antics of people who are stupider than they themselves are. ;-)

Given the popularity of sitcoms, that's scary...

The entire IQ-less content of 500 channels of programming is scary.
No wonder Al Qaeda keeps finding people to kill us, if they see what
we're watching and think that's the extent of our intellect.
deep sigh

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Steve B wrote:

I can't stand to watch American Choppers any more.

So don't. Duh.

No wonder I plonked you.

Well, you're pretty damned attentive for a plonker! :-

If you look , you'll see he responded thru my reply to him ...

Yeah - he's so obsessed with me that he had to go to some
length to rant at me. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Steve B
wrote:

I have experience with gold mining, having had a mining setup for three
years. The most we found in one day was two ounces. The least was about as
much as could buy half a pack of cigarettes.

Twenty-four years ago one of my uncles had a "foolproof" method of
extracting gold from beach sand. He invested everything he had into the
scheme, and leased a portion of the Guadalupe Dunes not far from my
house to test the "equipment."

My uncle died in Las Vegas a couple years later, poor and destitute.
Drowned in his own vomit.

I don't know what the lesson is. Maybe better Scotch, or a better
pillow.

Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I went gold panning once...All I got for several hours work was a sore
back.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

wrote:

I have been watching Gold Rush on TV, the story of a group of men who go to
Alaska to look for gold.

I have experience with gold mining, having had a mining setup for three
years. The most we found in one day was two ounces. The least was about as
much as could buy half a pack of cigarettes.

From the start, I could see things they were doing wrong, but figured they
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I have been watching Gold Rush on TV, the story of a group of men who go
Alaska to look for gold.

I have experience with gold mining, having had a mining setup for three
years. The most we found in one day was two ounces. The least was about
as
much as could buy half a pack of cigarettes.

From the start, I could see things they were doing wrong, but figured
they
would solve their problems. Now they have a person experienced in
mining,
and he is telling them things that I would have told them the first week.

The show lost a bunch of credibility when they
started spoiling for a fight with the new guy.

If I were in their shoes and an experienced miner
showed up, the first words out of my mouth would
be "show me how to fix it", not snarling over
my ****ing grounds.

And I don't miss Dorsey at all.

It's very hard to tell anything to someone who knows it all. When Todd
sneered at the teenager for telling him how to fix that Duplex jig, he lost
some or my respect. As you said, I'd suck it up if a really knowledgeable
person showed up, and all I would ask is "How would you like your eggs
cooked?"

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Sunworshipper" SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote in message

What, you left the glitz and glamour of Las Vegas? Where did you go?

Haven't found any gold , yet.

We found ours over at Meadview, AZ.

I got out just in time, felt like my house was the last to sell. I
even left a month before it sold, took some major chances. Plan was to
leave the year before, but took on one more year contract, and would
have made a killing. And ended up in Texas, but on a low budget ended
up a mile SW of being a Yooper. Temperature change from high to low is
about 140 degrees. I'm really beginning to like it, was fed up on dust
and brown. Left june '08.

SW

We still have three vacation rentals there that do very well. We have a
fantastic management couple. We still do real estate analysis, and go to
Vegas at least once a month. Sometimes we have to stay overnight, but most
of the time, we just get up early and get out and come back the same day.
We live in a rural Utah community of 900 people, but about half a mile or
more on the outskirts of it. We just love it here. I'm going to get out a
lot more this year, as construction has finished.

What's a Yooper? Whereabouts in Texas? I lived in the Houston area for a
few years, and in Louisiana. Loved Louisiana.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus24017" wrote in message
I do not watch anything with melodrama, I especially cannot stand
to see crying women, it is ****nig painful.

Dorsey's wife cried as much as he did.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Frank J Warner" wrote

Twenty-four years ago one of my uncles had a "foolproof" method of
extracting gold from beach sand. He invested everything he had into the
scheme, and leased a portion of the Guadalupe Dunes not far from my
house to test the "equipment."

I made some hefty equipment for a friend of mine who had a claim on the
American River in California. Then, one day, he went on a trip to Catalina
Island with some hippie chick, and they went on the glass bottomed boat.
She built a viewer out of 4" PVC with a glass bottom, and walked the creek.
In the first week, she found one nugget the size of a golfball, and several
smaller ones of good weight. Hugh gave up on all the heavy stuff and just
used the underwater viewer after that. The separation part of the operation
is relatively simple. Getting all those tons of dirt into the grizzly is
where all the work is.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
Download the book.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"JR North" wrote in message
I went gold panning once...All I got for several hours work was a sore
back.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

There must not have been any there. duh. But no, I mean to say that gold
panning is very easy, and if you do have some gold of any size in the pan,
it is hard to shake it out. Now, flour gold is a whole nother story.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What's a Yooper?

Steve

http://www.usaring.com/yooper/glossary.htm

It's under D.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
id wrote in message
I do not watch anything with melodrama, I especially cannot stand
to see crying women, it is ****nig painful.

Dorsey's wife cried as much as he did.

LOL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Sunworshipper" SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote in message

What's a Yooper?

Steve

http://www.usaring.com/yooper/glossary.htm

It's under D.

SW

Better file that in the back of your brain. Them Texicans don't like words
that they don't know. And they have a vocabulary all their own.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/1/2011 10:19 PM, Steve B wrote:

She built a viewer out of 4" PVC with a glass bottom, and walked the creek.
In the first week, she found one nugget the size of a golfball, and several
smaller ones of good weight. Hugh gave up on all the heavy stuff and just
used the underwater viewer after that.

Another neat item, though a lot pricer, is the White's Goldmaster, tuned
specifically for gold.

The 16 to 1 mine in Allegehaney, California, has taken to using metal
detectors quite a bit. They found one dang decent size specimen in a
well traveled tunnel, just a foot or two inside the rock. They'd been
walking right by it for many years and had no clue it was there.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 2/1/2011 10:19 PM, Steve B wrote:

She built a viewer out of 4" PVC with a glass bottom, and walked the
creek.
In the first week, she found one nugget the size of a golfball, and
several
smaller ones of good weight. Hugh gave up on all the heavy stuff and
just
used the underwater viewer after that.

Another neat item, though a lot pricer, is the White's Goldmaster, tuned
specifically for gold.

The 16 to 1 mine in Allegehaney, California, has taken to using metal
detectors quite a bit. They found one dang decent size specimen in a well
traveled tunnel, just a foot or two inside the rock. They'd been walking
right by it for many years and had no clue it was there.

Jon

IIRC, they are the prime method of finding gold in Australia, and companies
have even made specific models to deal with Australian soils. I have been
using mine for looking for meteorites. None yet, but some possible
specimens. I use three neodymium 1.5" disks right now, and boy, you can
hear it when something clicks and jumps on the magnets. Will have these
analyzed at some time, there is a lot of iron in the soils hereabout, the
next county north being Iron county, and iron ore to make cast iron has been
mined there for 150 years now.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 20:21:01 -0800, Rich Grise

On 2011-02-02, Steve Ackman wrote:
13:46:55 -0800, Rich Grise, lid wrote:

I read somewhere recently that people watch sitcoms because they like
to see the antics of people who are stupider than they themselves are.
;-)

Big Bang Theory. Sometimes socially inepter, but
certainly not stupider. ;-)

That's the only one which I watch. :-)

I wonder why they broke up Penny and Leonard? Just more opportunities
for jokes? (BTW, I identify with Leonard; who doesn't? But in real life
I'm probably more like Howard. =:-O )

Thanks,
Rich

I had to look this up through the names, didn't know what ya'll were
talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFS1F-3XVtk

Never seen it before. That has to be the best sitcom I've seen so
far. My wife gets box sets of everyone loves raymond from the library
and it is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, makes me feel like I
should start jumping up and down on all the DVD's.

Wow, that chick is hot !

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 21:41:47 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

You should see it up here by Iron Mountain Mi. My cheap metal
detector in Vegas would beep loudly over a penny, up here the penny
doesn't ever beep at all. Matter of fact, the thing has a tone and
goes blank over something metal and back to a tone here unless it's an
anvil.

Wonder if this has anything to do with it.

http://thebigfoto.com/earths-gravity

I seem to have moved to a big low spot. I'd like to make a
magnetometer some day. Plus try to get it to work just above or below
water.

SW