Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default snow removal methods

I researched the weather before I moved, but to no avail. The snow
falls last year and this year have been above normal and the average
temperature has been below normal. Add a longish driveway and I have
been spending too much time removing snow. Last year one of my
neighbors let me use her snow blower when we had a lot of snow. And
although I had good intentions, I did not do anything beyond buying a
snow shovel before this year. But good intentions are cheap and now I
am thinking about what to do to be ready for next year.

So has anyone built something that works well for snow removal? Or
conversely has anyone built something that did not work well although
it seemed like a good idea at the time?

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A related question, has anyone ever tried to build something for ice
removal?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:35:36 -0600, Ignoramus17662
wrote:

A related question, has anyone ever tried to build something for ice
removal?

I guess it depends on your budget. I may just have the best unit of
anyone one this NG: (you need it if you're dumb enough to live in MN)

JD 5310N tractor, That's a 60 hp compact tractor with a shuttle
transmission and cab. Tire chains installed for extra traction.

Loftness 2 stage snowblower, 8 feet wide. IMHO, the best 3 point
blower made. I added an electric spout turner.

JD hydraulic loader.

Blowing snow is *almost* fun.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I researched the weather before I moved, but to no avail. The snow
falls last year and this year have been above normal and the average
temperature has been below normal. Add a longish driveway and I have
been spending too much time removing snow. Last year one of my
neighbors let me use her snow blower when we had a lot of snow. And
although I had good intentions, I did not do anything beyond buying a
snow shovel before this year. But good intentions are cheap and now I
am thinking about what to do to be ready for next year.

So has anyone built something that works well for snow removal? Or
conversely has anyone built something that did not work well although
it seemed like a good idea at the time?

Dan

When you add up the time and expense of equipment plus the chance of injury,
I think a guy with a plow is the cheapest method. Form a relationship in
the summer, usually landscapers do winter work. Some of my neighbors at the
old house have heated driveways, they said is cost less than $5 to turn on
the heat for a few hours and it works well if temps aren't below 20F.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 30, 1:28*pm, " wrote:
So has anyone built something that works well for snow removal? *Or
conversely has anyone built something that did not work well although
it seemed like a good idea at the time?

Dan

I built this which works well for large open areas, not so well for
paths:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/H...65918437561074

This year it's down for hydraulic pump problems and I've been using a
little 3HP snow blower for the path around the house and mostly a
shovel for my short driveway. 3HP is at (below?) the very bottom end
of adequate, though nicely maneuverable in tight places.

Most people around here buy a two-stage snowblower with enough power
to clear the icy mess the town plow pushes into their driveway. But
remember that you will be standing on slippery ice while you muscle it
around.

JSW in NH

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus17662 wrote:

A related question, has anyone ever tried to build something for ice
removal?

If it is quite thick an old roto-tiller can loosen it up pretty fast so
you can shovel/shove it someplace else.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 30, 11:35*am, Ignoramus17662 ignoramus17...@NOSPAM.
17662.invalid wrote:
A related question, has anyone ever tried to build something for ice
removal?

We always used an ice chopper when I was a kid, looked like a
straightened out hoe on a wood shaft. Used mostly for cleaning drains
and removing heavy patches on concrete stairs, the rest got sanded and
salted. Could be had at the regular hardware store when there were
such. Haven't had one or needed one since I moved here, snow is
usually gone in a day or so, even a foot or two. If it's shoveled
right away, no ice. Most we've had since I've been here was 4' over
several days, that took mite longer to melt. Nobody went anywhere.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus17662 wrote:
A related question, has anyone ever tried to build something for ice
removal?

the autotelephone dialer.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 30, 2:29*pm, "Tom Gardner" gksgs@gsg wrote:

I think a guy with a plow is the cheapest method. *Form a relationship in
the summer, usually landscapers do winter work. *Some of my neighbors at the
old house have heated driveways, they said is cost less than $5 to turn on
the heat for a few hours and it works well if temps aren't below 20F.

I have been thinking of running Pex under the driveway and then
running water from the creek thru it. Not the same as heated,but
should help. But I will probably never get around to that.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 30, 2:43*pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I built this which works well for large open areas, not so well for
paths:http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/H...65918437561074

JSW in NH

I have admired your front loader, and may make something like that for
a little cub cadet. The drive is not so long that I can not shovel
it by hand. But when we get a foot of snow, it takes me a couple of
days to get the driveway clear. Meanwhile my wife has gone out with
her car and I have to deal with two rows of ice that are sticking to
the asphalt.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 30, 2:24*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:

JD 5310N tractor, That's a 60 hp compact tractor with a shuttle
transmission and cab. Tire chains installed for extra traction.

Loftness 2 stage snowblower, 8 feet wide. IMHO, the best 3 point
blower made. I added an electric spout turner.

JD hydraulic loader.

Blowing snow is *almost* fun.

Karl

That would be overkill for me. Something about half that wide would
be the bees knees. I could clear half the drive on the way out to the
road and the other half as I come back to the house.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The backhoe works well.

Better living thry chemistry also works.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------------

Ignoramus17662 wrote:
A related question, has anyone ever tried to build something for ice
removal?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 16:10:31 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,

17662.invalid wrote:
A related question, has anyone ever tried to build something for ice
removal?

We always used an ice chopper when I was a kid, looked like a
straightened out hoe on a wood shaft. Used mostly for cleaning drains
and removing heavy patches on concrete stairs, the rest got sanded and
salted. Could be had at the regular hardware store when there were
such. Haven't had one or needed one since I moved here, snow is
usually gone in a day or so, even a foot or two.

A tool that does the same job is named "The Big Mutt" by The Village
Blacksmith. I bought one at a local hardware store.

The old hoe-like tool is also available, the Ames "Brute 7in Scraper":
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1277224.

I picked up a floor scraper which might work in the same way, Joe.
http://www.harborfreight.com/48-inch...per-93918.html
I've used it as a pry bar, shingle remover, scraper, shovel, cement
trowel, and more than a few other things. It takes a licking and keeps
on thrashin'. Highly recommended. I think I paid $12 on sale.

The HF scraper seems a bit light for chopping ice, and the bent blade
will tend to spring. This is why heavy steel shovels don't work all
that well on solid ice.

The old hoe-like tool was the least work and wear-and-tear on the user:
just lift it up and let it drop on the ice. Time after time.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in
message
In article
,
Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 16:10:31 -0500, Joseph
Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,

17662.invalid wrote:
[...]

The corner store here has a problem with ice build
up at the gas
pumps caused by the snowmoblies. The ice will
build up in no time
to about 6 inches! I made them a tool to break it
up, a slide hammer
type tool. Took the tapered end of a leaf spring
and welded it to
a 4 foot one inch pipe. Then I welded an eye to
the side of one end of a 3 inch o.d. 2 inch i.d.
tube 18 inches long and attached a short
rubber bungee cord to it. This was dropped down
the handle to
hit the chisel end. To use all you gotta do is
pull up on the bungee
and let go! The guy using it is 6 foot 6 so he can
really bang away!
He said it works wonders..... ;))
phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:
"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in

[...]

I've used an ax.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

wrote in message
I researched the weather before I moved, but to no avail. The snow
falls last year and this year have been above normal and the average
temperature has been below normal. Add a longish driveway and I have
been spending too much time removing snow. Last year one of my
neighbors let me use her snow blower when we had a lot of snow. And
although I had good intentions, I did not do anything beyond buying a
snow shovel before this year. But good intentions are cheap and now I
am thinking about what to do to be ready for next year.

So has anyone built something that works well for snow removal? Or
conversely has anyone built something that did not work well although
it seemed like a good idea at the time?

Dan

I use a 743 Bobcat with a light material bucket. I don't have a snowblower,
if I did it would probably be more practical for most snowfalls.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 10:28:51 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I researched the weather before I moved, but to no avail. The snow
falls last year and this year have been above normal and the average
temperature has been below normal. Add a longish driveway and I have
been spending too much time removing snow. Last year one of my
neighbors let me use her snow blower when we had a lot of snow. And
although I had good intentions, I did not do anything beyond buying a
snow shovel before this year. But good intentions are cheap and now I
am thinking about what to do to be ready for next year.

So has anyone built something that works well for snow removal? Or
conversely has anyone built something that did not work well although
it seemed like a good idea at the time?

Dan

There are a couple of people around here that have plows on their
quad-runners. My father-in-law just loves to push snow as much as cut
grass. He gave me a brand new snow blower with electric start, and
said he is just having fun plowing snow at my place and to basically
let him. He bought the snow blower the year before the plow.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I found a 16 inch cut electric snow blower on the curb. One
miserable dump of snow day, I dragged it out from where I'd
stored it. Wonders, it moved snow so well that I used it
more often. I had given up on ever keeping my truck cleared
out.

Later, I got a two cycle gas mixer snow thrower. I think 3
HP. That has been a work horse for me, for several years.

Some guys get 7 HP with front and rear travel, two stage
thrower, and all that. My 3 HP single stage has done wll for
me, for years.

All depends on your budget, and your driveway size.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I researched the weather before I moved, but to no avail. The snow
falls last year and this year have been above normal and the average
temperature has been below normal. Add a longish driveway and I have
been spending too much time removing snow. Last year one of my
neighbors let me use her snow blower when we had a lot of snow. And
although I had good intentions, I did not do anything beyond buying a
snow shovel before this year. But good intentions are cheap and now I
am thinking about what to do to be ready for next year.

So has anyone built something that works well for snow removal? Or
conversely has anyone built something that did not work well although
it seemed like a good idea at the time?

Dan

Lots of ways to waste a lot of time and money making snow removeall
equipment. Lots of things that don't work, or work poorly.

Just buy a good snow blower. Get one that is big enough for the job
and get a "cab" for it, or get a tractor mounted unit, again with a
cab, if you have enough driveway etc to warrant it.

I have 150 feet of sidewalk on a corner lot and a driveway big enough
to park 4 cars on.
My current blower is a 4HP 22 inch dual stage track drive - a 6hp 26"
would be a better size for the job, but the little feller does the
job. (I do not have a "cab" so depending which way the wind is
blowing, I can end up looking like a snowman in a hurry)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 17:38:21 -0600, spaco
wrote:

Get a used 4 wheel drive pickup with a plow already attached. They go
for about $1500 and up in west central Wisconsin. Even cheaper if you
don't need a plow with power angle.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------

Or if you don't need one that passes DOT or air-care inspection.

wrote:

I researched the weather before I moved, but to no avail. The snow
falls last year and this year have been above normal and the average
temperature has been below normal. Add a longish driveway and I have
been spending too much time removing snow. Last year one of my
neighbors let me use her snow blower when we had a lot of snow. And
although I had good intentions, I did not do anything beyond buying a
snow shovel before this year. But good intentions are cheap and now I
am thinking about what to do to be ready for next year.

So has anyone built something that works well for snow removal? Or
conversely has anyone built something that did not work well although
it seemed like a good idea at the time?

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Phil Kangas" wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in
message
In article
,
Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 16:10:31 -0500, Joseph
Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,

17662.invalid wrote:
[...]

Slide hammer? Bet it works, but ... hard on the joints? This is why
the old tool was dropped onto the ice - no shock, at least not to the
human.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've found it helpful to go out, and pay attention to the
wind direction. I throw as much snow as possible with the
wind, so I don't end up wearing it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Just buy a good snow blower. Get one that is big enough for
the job
and get a "cab" for it, or get a tractor mounted unit, again
with a
cab, if you have enough driveway etc to warrant it.

I have 150 feet of sidewalk on a corner lot and a driveway
big enough
to park 4 cars on.
My current blower is a 4HP 22 inch dual stage track drive -
a 6hp 26"
would be a better size for the job, but the little feller
does the
job. (I do not have a "cab" so depending which way the wind
is
blowing, I can end up looking like a snowman in a hurry)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus17662" wrote in message
A related question, has anyone ever tried to build something for ice
removal?

I used an alternate method, don't remove the snow and ice,
Remove yourself.
Mikek, from sunny Florida. :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A related question, has anyone ever tried to build something for ice
removal?

I guess it depends on your budget. I may just have the best unit of
anyone one this NG: (you need it if you're dumb enough to live in MN)

JD 5310N tractor, That's a 60 hp compact tractor with a shuttle
transmission and cab. Tire chains installed for extra traction.

Loftness 2 stage snowblower, 8 feet wide. IMHO, the best 3 point
blower made. I added an electric spout turner.

JD hydraulic loader.

Blowing snow is *almost* fun.

Karl

I would suggest that is one were searching for a machine for snow and
ice removal and didn't have a need for a tractor for other tasks, a
Bobcat / skid steer with quick attach extra wide snow bucket and quick
attach hydraulic powered snow blower it a better match for the task.

3pt snow blowers on a tractor have you driving backwards all the time,
which is tedious and also makes it difficult to precisely follow a curb
or similar. Skid steers are more compact and maneuverable than a tractor
with attachments on both ends, so they are a lot easier to use in tight
areas. Skid steers are also normally higher HP than a similarly sized
tractor, and can lift larger snow buckets than a tractor loader.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 16:10:31 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,

17662.invalid wrote:
[...]

HF has/had an air powered scraper tool intended for ripping up floor
tiles and the like that would probably work well on ice, perhaps with a
modified blade.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

More practical perhaps, but not nearly as much fun.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

amdx wrote:

"Ignoramus17662" wrote in message
A related question, has anyone ever tried to build something for ice
removal?

I used an alternate method, don't remove the snow and ice,
Remove yourself.
Mikek, from sunny Florida. :-)

That is the best solution, move to where the snow and ice is relatively
rare.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article . com,
"Pete C." wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 16:10:31 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,

17662.invalid wrote:
[...]

If it doesn't break when used on ice, this could be helpful. I doubt
that HF claims that their air-powered scraper will work on hard ice.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 30, 9:36*pm, wrote:

*Lots of ways to waste a lot of time and money making snow removeall
equipment. Lots of things that don't work, or work poorly.

Just buy a good snow blower. Get one that is big enough for the job
and get a "cab" for it, or get a tractor mounted unit, again with a
cab, if you have enough driveway etc to warrant it.

I have 150 feet of sidewalk on a corner lot and a driveway big enough
to park 4 cars on.

Well this is RCM so wasting time is okay, but building something that
does not work is not okay. I would rather spend money on tools than a
snow blower, but think I already have enough tools to build
something. Something like Jim Wilkins front loader would be really
good for the turn around in front of the garage. A conversion kit to
turn a rototiller into a small plow would be good for the walkway.
But for the driveway, well I am still thinking.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in
message
In article
,
"Phil Kangas" wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in
message
In article
,
Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 16:10:31 -0500, Joseph
Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,

17662.invalid wrote:
[...]

a 4 foot long one inch pipe. Then I welded an
eye to
the side of one end of a 3 inch o.d. 2 inch
i.d.
tube 18 inches long and attached a short
rubber bungee cord to it. This was dropped down
the handle to
hit the chisel end. To use all you gotta do is
pull up on the bungee
and let go! The guy using it is 6 foot 6 so he
can
really bang away!
He said it works wonders..... ;))
phil k.

Slide hammer? Bet it works, but ... hard on the
joints? This is why
the old tool was dropped onto the ice - no
shock, at least not to the
human.

Joe Gwinn

Actually this does work pretty good. No shock to
speak of at all.
Just put the chisel edge where you want the crack
and tug on
the bungee loop and let go. No impact to you at
all. and controlable.
Axes work too but they are actually more work than
this thing.
The guy came up with the design and he's no dummy.
I watched
it in action and he could get cracks about 2-3
feet long! Break
up the ice and plow away the chunks, done. No
sweat....
Let the force work for you....;))
phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 31, 10:11*am, " wrote:
Well this is RCM so wasting time is okay, but building something that
does not work is not okay. *I would rather spend money on tools than a
snow blower, but think I already have enough tools to build
something. *Something like Jim Wilkins front loader would *be really
good for the turn around in front of the garage. *A conversion kit to
turn a rototiller into a small plow would be good for the walkway.
But for the driveway, well I am still thinking.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dan

I use it to clear a large turn-around space in the front yard. Being a
riding mower it doesn't tear up the turf like a skid-steer. It needs
considerable room to back up and turn to dump, so it might not be a
good idea for a long, narrow driveway. The prevailing wind keeps me
from clearing that area with a snowblower.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 30, 4:38*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

The old hoe-like tool was the least work and wear-and-tear on the user:
just lift it up and let it drop on the ice. *Time after time.

Joe Gwinn- Hide quoted text -

As long as you didn't have a corner lot and needed the whole surface
cleared. Was great for spot work, though. Dad did the shoveling, we
kids -got- to chop the ice(such a treat!). The head wasn't that heavy
and he'd drilled a hole at the end and stuck a rope loop for a grabber
through it. Could be powered down on hard spots that way. None of
the current items that folks have thrown up URLs on so far are exactly
like it. Was probably 5-6" wide and had a tang and socket connection
to the handle, tang being about 3/8" or so.

For long drives and such, a small tractor-mounted thrower is hard to
beat, just depends on how much you have to move and how far. A small
lawn tractor may do it, a 12 hp JD lawn tractor took care of a block
long lot plus parking for many years. Getting it started in cold
weather was sometimes a chore, though. And getting the thing attached
and belted up wasn't a picnic, either, even before the snow started
falling.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 22:07:58 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've found it helpful to go out, and pay attention to the
wind direction. I throw as much snow as possible with the
wind, so I don't end up wearing it.

I definitey do the same, but blowing with the wind often means
filling the neighbour's driveway, and blowing with the prevailing
winds would soon have a pile too high to blow over in some spots. So
you blow it more or less ahead of you and to one side, keeping the
snow going more or less where you want it, and keeping 90% or more off
of yourself. Still makes a snowman or icycle out of you in short
order.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:49:40 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

ATP wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Snowblower on bobcat - the besat of both worlds!!!
My brother has a snowblower mounted to the front of his ATV.
Lawnmower goes on in its place in the summer
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 07:11:48 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 30, 9:36Â*pm, wrote:

Â*Lots of ways to waste a lot of time and money making snow removeall
equipment. Lots of things that don't work, or work poorly.

Just buy a good snow blower. Get one that is big enough for the job
and get a "cab" for it, or get a tractor mounted unit, again with a
cab, if you have enough driveway etc to warrant it.

I have 150 feet of sidewalk on a corner lot and a driveway big enough
to park 4 cars on.

Well this is RCM so wasting time is okay, but building something that
does not work is not okay. I would rather spend money on tools than a
snow blower, but think I already have enough tools to build
something. Something like Jim Wilkins front loader would be really
good for the turn around in front of the garage. A conversion kit to
turn a rototiller into a small plow would be good for the walkway.
But for the driveway, well I am still thinking.

Dan

Buy a snowblower.
Put in some overtime at work in the time you would have used to build
the thing that won't work right anyhow, and spend the overtime money
on the tools you want - you come out anead no matter which way you
look at it (except you don't have a pile of useless junk taking up
space in the shop when you are done)

Been there, done that, and burned holes all through the front of the
"T" shirt.

Snow-shovel; snow sticks to it: how to make slippery? David Combs Home Repair 27 January 4th 10 09:05 AM
Tanks vs. light infantry of snow removal Larry Jaques Metalworking 0 December 21st 08 04:57 AM
Roof - snow removal BuckK Home Repair 9 September 23rd 08 04:45 PM
Snow Removal on 40 acres [email protected] Home Repair 10 November 12th 06 02:51 AM
WAY OT - HOW TO MAKE SNOW AND BUILD A HOMEMADE SNOW GUN J T Woodworking 0 August 6th 04 07:41 AM