How do you fix a bulged gun barrel?

Old January 10th 11, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do you fix a bulged gun barrel?

I have different barrels with different problems.

Shotguns, pistols, revolvers, and rifles.

Do you make die by making a hole in a block with a boring bar, heat up
the barrel and pound it through?
Old January 11th 11, 12:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:11:57 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 1/10/2011 3:54 PM, wrote:
I have different barrels with different problems.

Shotguns, pistols, revolvers, and rifles.

Do you make die by making a hole in a block with a boring bar, heat up
the barrel and pound it through?

Using proper fixtures, unscrew barrel from action
Cut in half to prevent reuse and deposit in trash can.
Install replacement barrel.

I'm not trying to be funny here either. Maybe, someone that really knows
what they are doing, can repair a slightly bulged barrel.
But I would never knowingly buy nor shoot a firearm with such a 'repair'.

If you insist on trying to repair a bulged barrel, for your family's
sake, make sure your insurance has good coverage for ER visits, and that
your life insurance is paid up...

Jon

It really depends on the type of bulge and the extent of the bulge.

I had a guy bring me a MINT S&W 38-44 Outdoorsman some years ago, that
he had squibbed 5...(5) 158gr JHPs into. I thought it was only the
cylinder..and dropped a rod down the barrel to drive the bullet
back..and it only went in 2"......

To make a long story short..he decided he didnt want the revolver as it
wasnt "mint" anymore, with a .050 TIB about 1" long just in front of the
cylinder release housing. So I wound up with it and have shot it
sucessfully for at least 15 yrs so far. Very accurate, a pleasure to
shoot.

Der be Bulges..and then there are bulges.

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Old January 11th 11, 01:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/10/2011 4:33 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Der be Bulges..and then there are bulges.

Well my concern was the possibility of either over compressing the
bulge, or getting adjecent deformation into the bore that might cause
the bullet to stick at that point. As you know, that sort of event
seldom has a happy ending, outside of maybe walking away with all 10
fingers...

Jon
Old January 11th 11, 02:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 10, 8:04*pm, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 1/10/2011 4:33 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Der be Bulges..and then there are bulges.

Well my concern was the possibility of either over compressing the
bulge, or getting adjecent deformation into the bore that might cause
the bullet to stick at that point. As you know, that sort of event
seldom has a happy ending, outside of maybe walking away with all 10
fingers...

Jon

But wasn't that exactly what Gunner just described - five bullets
stuck in the barrel? Does that ALWAYS lead to disaster?

I can't imagine it's a good thing, but surely it happens often enough
that manufacturers would design barrels to withstand the abuse - if
not unscathed, then at least in one piece.

Bear with me - my firearms knowledge is all 4o+ years old and limited
to small-bore target shooting.

BTW, this conversation is conjuring up images of Bugs Bunny sticking
his finger in the muzzle and Elmer Fudd getting a face full.
Old January 11th 11, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

Sounds to me like Gunner just removed the stugs , didn't try to "repair" the
barrel . Jon's first assessment to rebarrel was right on the money . Only
thing I might do different , and it would depend on where the bulge was ,
would be to use the undamaged portion for another firearm - perhaps a pistol
if the caliber was appropriate .
I've always wanted another .222 pistol ... a bolt action , the first one
was a Contender . Still got ammo from that one , too bad I needed groceries
more than I needed the gun , but kids gotta eat .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old January 11th 11, 02:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:04:29 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 1/10/2011 4:33 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Der be Bulges..and then there are bulges.

Well my concern was the possibility of either over compressing the
bulge, or getting adjecent deformation into the bore that might cause
the bullet to stick at that point. As you know, that sort of event
seldom has a happy ending, outside of maybe walking away with all 10
fingers...

Jon

The bulge wont grow if you keep your rounds within accepted
pressures..and the bullets wont stick if you keep your bullets above the
proper minumum.

Id not recommend using hollowbased wadcutters as mine tends to build up
a smidgon more lead in the bulge when I was experimenting, but other
than that..cast or jacketed..it still shoots very well. And Ive run at
least 15,000 rds down that barrel.

Shrug

Gunner

Old January 11th 11, 02:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/10/2011 6:13 PM, rangerssuck wrote:

But wasn't that exactly what Gunner just described - five bullets
stuck in the barrel? Does that ALWAYS lead to disaster?

Ah, maybe I missed that... But a revolver has a better chance of getting
away with this as the cylinder gap will allow the pressure to bleed off.
But certainly not always. I've seen dozens of pictures of firearms with
blown up barrels. Sometimes it's just a bulge and a short split, other
times the barrel is really peeled open. This is really dangerous with a
rifle or some shotguns where the stocks can be blown to splinters.

30+ years ago I was working at a welding shop in the Bay Area. Some
company that did testing of some sort was moving out of the bay next
door. There was a number of cylinders of steel, best I can recall,
approx 12-14" dia and maybe a bit longer. Each end was machined very
much like a cannon breech (I'd guess, haven't seen many cannon breeches
up close...) and had an approx 1.5-2" dia hole thru the center. Anyway,
every one of these was split down the side. The split wasn't very wide,
but considering the thickness of these things.... I didn't know jack
squat about firearms at the time, but had been around enough heavy
fabrication to have at least have a sense of awe over what forces were
at play.

Google search on 'blown up barrel', images:
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=blown up
barrel&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

BTW, this conversation is conjuring up images of Bugs Bunny sticking
his finger in the muzzle and Elmer Fudd getting a face full.

Myth Busters tried test this. Conclusion was it's a really really bad
idea to stick your finger in the end of the barrel...

Jon
Old January 11th 11, 02:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 10, 6:54*pm, "
wrote:
I have different barrels with different problems.

Shotguns, pistols, revolvers, and rifles.

Do you make die by making a hole in a block with a boring bar, heat up
the barrel and pound it through?

I was just reading a book My son got me for Christmass about making
gun barrels. It talked about removing bulges and rings. Procedure
was (originally published about 1920) for an experienced barrel
straightener to hammer the barrel on a vise to remover all the bulge,
then ream to size.

CarlBoyd

OT put a cork in the barrel mm Home Repair 19 April 14th 09 10:13 PM
Sleeving a barrel gspaff Metalworking 9 August 13th 07 06:25 AM
Barrel Mskinh J T Woodworking 0 July 3rd 07 06:55 PM
Oak barrel tap Stephen UK diy 0 August 12th 05 09:34 AM
fitting barrel tap Stephen UK diy 9 August 9th 05 11:55 AM