Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do you fix a bulged gun barrel?

I have different barrels with different problems.

Shotguns, pistols, revolvers, and rifles.

Do you make die by making a hole in a block with a boring bar, heat up
the barrel and pound it through?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:11:57 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 1/10/2011 3:54 PM, wrote:
I have different barrels with different problems.

Shotguns, pistols, revolvers, and rifles.

Do you make die by making a hole in a block with a boring bar, heat up
the barrel and pound it through?

Using proper fixtures, unscrew barrel from action
Cut in half to prevent reuse and deposit in trash can.
Install replacement barrel.

I'm not trying to be funny here either. Maybe, someone that really knows
what they are doing, can repair a slightly bulged barrel.
But I would never knowingly buy nor shoot a firearm with such a 'repair'.

If you insist on trying to repair a bulged barrel, for your family's
sake, make sure your insurance has good coverage for ER visits, and that
your life insurance is paid up...

Jon

It really depends on the type of bulge and the extent of the bulge.

I had a guy bring me a MINT S&W 38-44 Outdoorsman some years ago, that
he had squibbed 5...(5) 158gr JHPs into. I thought it was only the
cylinder..and dropped a rod down the barrel to drive the bullet
back..and it only went in 2"......

To make a long story short..he decided he didnt want the revolver as it
wasnt "mint" anymore, with a .050 TIB about 1" long just in front of the
cylinder release housing. So I wound up with it and have shot it
sucessfully for at least 15 yrs so far. Very accurate, a pleasure to
shoot.

Der be Bulges..and then there are bulges.

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/10/2011 4:33 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Der be Bulges..and then there are bulges.

Well my concern was the possibility of either over compressing the
bulge, or getting adjecent deformation into the bore that might cause
the bullet to stick at that point. As you know, that sort of event
seldom has a happy ending, outside of maybe walking away with all 10
fingers...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 10, 8:04*pm, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 1/10/2011 4:33 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Der be Bulges..and then there are bulges.

Well my concern was the possibility of either over compressing the
bulge, or getting adjecent deformation into the bore that might cause
the bullet to stick at that point. As you know, that sort of event
seldom has a happy ending, outside of maybe walking away with all 10
fingers...

Jon

But wasn't that exactly what Gunner just described - five bullets
stuck in the barrel? Does that ALWAYS lead to disaster?

I can't imagine it's a good thing, but surely it happens often enough
that manufacturers would design barrels to withstand the abuse - if
not unscathed, then at least in one piece.

Bear with me - my firearms knowledge is all 4o+ years old and limited
to small-bore target shooting.

BTW, this conversation is conjuring up images of Bugs Bunny sticking
his finger in the muzzle and Elmer Fudd getting a face full.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

Sounds to me like Gunner just removed the stugs , didn't try to "repair" the
barrel . Jon's first assessment to rebarrel was right on the money . Only
thing I might do different , and it would depend on where the bulge was ,
would be to use the undamaged portion for another firearm - perhaps a pistol
if the caliber was appropriate .
I've always wanted another .222 pistol ... a bolt action , the first one
was a Contender . Still got ammo from that one , too bad I needed groceries
more than I needed the gun , but kids gotta eat .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:04:29 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 1/10/2011 4:33 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Der be Bulges..and then there are bulges.

Well my concern was the possibility of either over compressing the
bulge, or getting adjecent deformation into the bore that might cause
the bullet to stick at that point. As you know, that sort of event
seldom has a happy ending, outside of maybe walking away with all 10
fingers...

Jon

The bulge wont grow if you keep your rounds within accepted
pressures..and the bullets wont stick if you keep your bullets above the
proper minumum.

Id not recommend using hollowbased wadcutters as mine tends to build up
a smidgon more lead in the bulge when I was experimenting, but other
than that..cast or jacketed..it still shoots very well. And Ive run at
least 15,000 rds down that barrel.

Shrug

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/10/2011 6:13 PM, rangerssuck wrote:

But wasn't that exactly what Gunner just described - five bullets
stuck in the barrel? Does that ALWAYS lead to disaster?

Ah, maybe I missed that... But a revolver has a better chance of getting
away with this as the cylinder gap will allow the pressure to bleed off.
But certainly not always. I've seen dozens of pictures of firearms with
blown up barrels. Sometimes it's just a bulge and a short split, other
times the barrel is really peeled open. This is really dangerous with a
rifle or some shotguns where the stocks can be blown to splinters.

30+ years ago I was working at a welding shop in the Bay Area. Some
company that did testing of some sort was moving out of the bay next
door. There was a number of cylinders of steel, best I can recall,
approx 12-14" dia and maybe a bit longer. Each end was machined very
much like a cannon breech (I'd guess, haven't seen many cannon breeches
up close...) and had an approx 1.5-2" dia hole thru the center. Anyway,
every one of these was split down the side. The split wasn't very wide,
but considering the thickness of these things.... I didn't know jack
squat about firearms at the time, but had been around enough heavy
fabrication to have at least have a sense of awe over what forces were
at play.

Google search on 'blown up barrel', images:
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=blown up
barrel&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

BTW, this conversation is conjuring up images of Bugs Bunny sticking
his finger in the muzzle and Elmer Fudd getting a face full.

Myth Busters tried test this. Conclusion was it's a really really bad
idea to stick your finger in the end of the barrel...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 10, 6:54*pm, "
wrote:
I have different barrels with different problems.

Shotguns, pistols, revolvers, and rifles.

Do you make die by making a hole in a block with a boring bar, heat up
the barrel and pound it through?

I was just reading a book My son got me for Christmass about making
gun barrels. It talked about removing bulges and rings. Procedure
was (originally published about 1920) for an experienced barrel
straightener to hammer the barrel on a vise to remover all the bulge,
then ream to size.

CarlBoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:

BTW, this conversation is conjuring up images of Bugs Bunny sticking
his finger in the muzzle and Elmer Fudd getting a face full.

"Support Your Local Sheriff" - James Garner as sheriff, Walter Brennan
as bad guy patriarch. Brennan storms into Garner's office, pulls his Colt
45, and demands Garner release Brennan's kid. Garner sticks his finger
in the end of the 45, and Brennan cools off like he's been doused with
water. He says, "If that gun'd gone off it'd a blowed up in my face!"
Garner says, "Well, I don't imagine it'd've done my finger much good."

BTW, very good movie, highly recommended. Joan Hackett as the love interest,
Harry Morgan as her dad. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:

BTW, this conversation is conjuring up images of Bugs Bunny sticking
his finger in the muzzle and Elmer Fudd getting a face full.

Nah, Elmer would stick the gun down the rabbit hole, and Bugs would
bend the barrel around to point at Elmer's ass through the rabbit hole
right behind Elmer. ;-)

Although, I'm not claiming he's _never_ stuck his finger in the barrel,
just that I've never seen that particular action. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Of course, with a gun, there are sometimes
moments when you can use the gun to get
food. So, it isn't always a "gun, versus food"
decision.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Snag"
wrote in message ...

I've always wanted another .222 pistol ... a bolt
action , the first one was a Contender . Still got
ammo from that one , too bad I needed groceries
more than I needed the gun , but kids gotta eat .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just for me, I'd replace the barrel, or scrap the gun. YMMV.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/11/2011 9:37 AM, Jim Chandler wrote:

Good advice, Jon. I couldn't have said it better myself. A bulged
barrel will forever be weak in that spot and no amount of "fixing"
will make it as good as the original.

I'm about as cheap as anyone, and have been known to spend totally
stupid amounts of time fixing things 99.999% of the country would throw
away. But there's a time and place to try and skimp. The risk of blowing
off fingers, losing an eye or two or worse, far out weigh any savings on
this one. IMHO...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 10, 5:54*pm, "
wrote:
I have different barrels with different problems.

Shotguns, pistols, revolvers, and rifles.

Do you make die by making a hole in a block with a boring bar, heat up
the barrel and pound it through?

You cut each of these barrels into tiny sections and recycle.

You CANNOT restore them to a safe functional barrel.

Disregard my advice at your own risk.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

Just for me, I'd replace the barrel, or scrap the gun. YMMV.

Wait until there's one of those "gun exchange" programs in the nearest
gang-infested ghetto or barrio, and give it to them for some kind of
goodie (usually cash or food coupons) and let them melt it down.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 10, 4:54*pm, "
wrote:
I have different barrels with different problems.

Shotguns, pistols, revolvers, and rifles.

Do you make die by making a hole in a block with a boring bar, heat up
the barrel and pound it through?

I've seen some old books recommending various fixes for bulged shotgun
barrels, I wouldn't do any of them except shortening. If it's near
the muzzle, you can always shorten it unless it's below the legal
limit. Anything else you should probably replace if it's bad enough
or just keep using it if it's accurate enough after removing the stuck
bullet. There's no way to reduce a bulge in a centerfire arm short of
replacing the barrel or cutting out the bulge. You can shorten a
revolver barrel, usually, semi-autos are easy enough to find
replacement barrels for. Bolt actions are easy enough to rebarrel.

Best advice is to pay attention to the gun when shooting, if you shoot
and something feels/sounds/smells odd or not normal, STOP. I had a
blooper once while hunting, had a second round all chambered and ready
to pull the trigger on a rabbit. Something told me not to, went back
to the truck and poked a rod down the barrel. I retrieved the whole
front section of the first shotshell, it had separated right ahead of
the brass head and gone about half-way down the barrel. A second shot
probably would have removed my fingers. I caught up with the rabbit
afterwards. No blooper that time...

A bulge means the metal is stressed beyond the elastic limit, even if
you manage to pound it back down, it'll be a weak spot.

If you stick a bullet, use a brass or bronze rod that fits the bore to
push it out. I've seen folks recommending dowels to do the job, those
will shatter and wedge the works even tighter, DAMHIK. Steel is
likely to gouge the bore unless really closely fitted and polished,
anything really undersized, ditto. Aluminum may work, may also bend
if it's the usual hardware store bubblegum extrusion. A series of
stuck bullets will usually have to be either drilled or drilled and
pulled, usual method is a steel tube to line the barrel and then a
close-fitting drill with extension brazed on, if needed. Pounding on
jacketed bullets will just wedge them tighter. Best thing is to drill
and then use a ball-puller.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

What sort of fool would a person have to be to end up with FIVE rounds
jammed in a barrell?

One that can't spell? ;-)

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 15:54:31 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I have different barrels with different problems.

Shotguns, pistols, revolvers, and rifles.

Do you make die by making a hole in a block with a boring bar, heat up
the barrel and pound it through?

The usual technique was, if the bulge was far enough up the barrel,
just cut the barrel off and install a new sight, or adjustable choke,
as the case might be.

If not, just remove barrel and replace.

I never met a competent gunsmith that recommended attempting to repair
a bulge. A dented shotgun barrel, yes. But not a bulge.

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John R. Carroll wrote:
rangerssuck wrote:
On Jan 10, 8:04 pm, Jon wrote:
[...]

I remember seeing an x-ray of a revolver with several bullets stuck in
the barrel. It must have been a heated gunfight.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, wrote:

[ ... ]

Here's one with the full Fudd treatment:
http://www.thegunzone.com/kablooey.html
Little matter of leaving the boresighter in while touching one off...

I wonder why the barrel split in a flower like form, instead of in
some other form or disintegrating.

It probably split along the lines of the rifling, which would
have produced stress risers under that serious overpressure down at the
skinny end of the barrel.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

OT put a cork in the barrel mm Home Repair 19 April 14th 09 11:13 PM
Sleeving a barrel gspaff Metalworking 9 August 13th 07 07:25 AM
Barrel Mskinh J T Woodworking 0 July 3rd 07 07:55 PM
Oak barrel tap Stephen UK diy 0 August 12th 05 10:34 AM
fitting barrel tap Stephen UK diy 9 August 9th 05 12:55 PM