A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » Metalworking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Metalworking (rec.crafts.metalworking) Discuss various aspects of working with metal, such as machining, welding, metal joining, screwing, casting, hardening/tempering, blacksmithing/forging, spinning and hammer work, sheet metal work.

Better than STERNO



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 27th 10, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 127
Default Better than STERNO

I have used STERNO when camping or hunting for years. About a dozen
years back I discovered a better product than STERNO for about one
tenth the cost. My local Sam's Club sells a hand sanitizer under their
Maker's Mark label. A two liter jug of this with a hand pump sells for
as low as $5.50 when it is on sale. It has a built in hand pump and I
always have one in the shop. I started using this as a substitute for
STERNO when I was packing for a fishing trip and discovered I was out
of STERNO. I remembered reading the label on the hand sanitizer and it
said it was 70% Ethyl Alcohol so I tested it and it definitely burned
hot. I have since started filling empty STERNO cans with this and it
works great. I know it is a hotter fire than STERNO (A friend has an
InfraRed thermometer and we did comparison tests with STERNO vs the
hand sanitizer and the sanitizer burned a lot hotter) and it has a
pleasant smell. My only PROBLEM with it is that the flame is almost
invisible. Do any of you have an idea of something that could be
mixed in with the hand sanitizer that would make the flame more
visible? When I am the only one in the area when I am using this I am
not worried however I would hate to see some other person accidentally
get burned.
Just to keep this on topic I will mention that I have used this in
small soldering projects when their was no electricity available for
my soldering iron.

DL
Ads
  #2  
Old December 27th 10, 07:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 756
Default Better than STERNO

TwoGuns wrote:
I have used STERNO when camping or hunting for years. About a dozen
years back I discovered a better product than STERNO for about one
tenth the cost. My local Sam's Club sells a hand sanitizer under their
Maker's Mark label. A two liter jug of this with a hand pump sells for
as low as $5.50 when it is on sale. It has a built in hand pump and I
always have one in the shop. I started using this as a substitute for
STERNO when I was packing for a fishing trip and discovered I was out
of STERNO. I remembered reading the label on the hand sanitizer and it
said it was 70% Ethyl Alcohol so I tested it and it definitely burned
hot. I have since started filling empty STERNO cans with this and it
works great. I know it is a hotter fire than STERNO (A friend has an
InfraRed thermometer and we did comparison tests with STERNO vs the
hand sanitizer and the sanitizer burned a lot hotter) and it has a
pleasant smell. My only PROBLEM with it is that the flame is almost
invisible. Do any of you have an idea of something that could be
mixed in with the hand sanitizer that would make the flame more
visible? When I am the only one in the area when I am using this I am
not worried however I would hate to see some other person accidentally
get burned.
Just to keep this on topic I will mention that I have used this in
small soldering projects when their was no electricity available for
my soldering iron.


Here's a start:

http://www.sciencecompany.com/sci-exper/flamecolors.htm

  #3  
Old December 27th 10, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 89
Default Better than STERNO

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:41:56 -0800 (PST), TwoGuns
wrote:


invisible. Do any of you have an idea of something that could be
mixed in with the hand sanitizer that would make the flame more
visible? When I am the only one in the area when I am using this I am
not worried however I would hate to see some other person accidentally
get burned.


Maybe add a bit of motor oil?
  #4  
Old December 27th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 52
Default Better than STERNO

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:45:36 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

TwoGuns wrote:
I have used STERNO when camping or hunting for years. About a dozen
years back I discovered a better product than STERNO for about one
tenth the cost. My local Sam's Club sells a hand sanitizer under their
Maker's Mark label. A two liter jug of this with a hand pump sells for
as low as $5.50 when it is on sale. It has a built in hand pump and I
always have one in the shop. I started using this as a substitute for
STERNO when I was packing for a fishing trip and discovered I was out
of STERNO. I remembered reading the label on the hand sanitizer and it
said it was 70% Ethyl Alcohol so I tested it and it definitely burned
hot. I have since started filling empty STERNO cans with this and it
works great. I know it is a hotter fire than STERNO (A friend has an
InfraRed thermometer and we did comparison tests with STERNO vs the
hand sanitizer and the sanitizer burned a lot hotter) and it has a
pleasant smell. My only PROBLEM with it is that the flame is almost
invisible. Do any of you have an idea of something that could be
mixed in with the hand sanitizer that would make the flame more
visible? When I am the only one in the area when I am using this I am
not worried however I would hate to see some other person accidentally
get burned.
Just to keep this on topic I will mention that I have used this in
small soldering projects when their was no electricity available for
my soldering iron.


Here's a start:

http://www.sciencecompany.com/sci-exper/flamecolors.htm



Dissclaimer on thier Sodium Chloride-

"Sorry, we regret we are unable
to ship chemicals outside of
mainland USA and Canada.
Hazardous chemicals and chemicals
restricted to ground-only shipping,
may not be exported out of the USA."

I didn'y bother checking but I suspect they have the same note on the
Di-hydrogen Monoxide.

H.

  #5  
Old December 27th 10, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,662
Default Better than STERNO

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:41:56 -0800 (PST), TwoGuns
wrote:

I know it is a hotter fire than STERNO


Hotter than Sterno -- is that like bigger than a neutrino? g If your
cooking involves more than heating cans of Dinty Moore get yourself
one of these:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/35241..._Base&subrnd=0

--
Ned Simmons
  #6  
Old December 27th 10, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,446
Default Better than STERNO

TwoGuns wrote:
I have used STERNO when camping or hunting for years. About a dozen
years back I discovered a better product than STERNO for about one
tenth the cost.


(...)

I made a little stove out of two tuna cans soldered
together (top to bottom) with a 1.5" hole in the top.
Hardware store alcohol works great and it is cheap.
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/pro...px?SKU=1204254

(3.79 for two liters)

--Winston
  #7  
Old December 27th 10, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,913
Default Better than STERNO

Winston fired this volley in news:ifb0ee0r65
@news7.newsguy.com:

I made a little stove out of two tuna cans soldered
together (top to bottom) with a 1.5" hole in the top.
Hardware store alcohol works great and it is cheap.
http://www.acehardware


Winston, if you haven't already, look up the "Penny Stove". You can get
a lot more energy and fuel efficiency out of alcohol when it's run at the
proper gas pressure.

The little Penny Stove will boil a pint cup of water in about five
minutes on a couple of teaspoonsful of alcohol.

LLoyd
  #8  
Old December 27th 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,581
Default Better than STERNO

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 15:38:13 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Winston fired this volley in news:ifb0ee0r65
:

I made a little stove out of two tuna cans soldered
together (top to bottom) with a 1.5" hole in the top.
Hardware store alcohol works great and it is cheap.
http://www.acehardware


Winston, if you haven't already, look up the "Penny Stove". You can get
a lot more energy and fuel efficiency out of alcohol when it's run at the
proper gas pressure.

The little Penny Stove will boil a pint cup of water in about five
minutes on a couple of teaspoonsful of alcohol.


One of these works for day-long power outages here, along with LED
booklights. http://tinyurl.com/2v3hdqr

And I got an alcohol stove (SVEA Swedish mess kit) off eBay a couple
years ago. http://www.digihitch.com/review69.html

--
Make the best use of what is in your power,
and take the rest as it happens.
-- Epictetus
  #9  
Old December 27th 10, 10:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,913
Default Better than STERNO

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

One of these works for day-long power outages here, along with LED
booklights. http://tinyurl.com/2v3hdqr

FWIW, those are _impossible_ to adjust for a low simmer (having only two
or three discrete "stops" in the adjustment; and no, you can't 'trim'
them).

They also are so affected by even a light breeze, that they're just about
unusable anywhere but indoors or inside closed-up tent.

I have a couple for indoor power emergencies, but don't really like them.

OTOH, I have a little Chinese two-burner butane stove I got from a
Haitian importer friend, and it's about the dandiest little miniature
stove you could want. It tunes to anything from a roar to a bare simmer,
and the canned butane is sold by many ACE hardware stores.

LLoyd

  #10  
Old December 27th 10, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,446
Default Better than STERNO

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
fired this volley in news:ifb0ee0r65
@news7.newsguy.com:

I made a little stove out of two tuna cans soldered
together (top to bottom) with a 1.5" hole in the top.
Hardware store alcohol works great and it is cheap.
http://www.acehardware


Winston, if you haven't already, look up the "Penny Stove". You can get
a lot more energy and fuel efficiency out of alcohol when it's run at the
proper gas pressure.

The little Penny Stove will boil a pint cup of water in about five
minutes on a couple of teaspoonsful of alcohol.


Thanks, Lloyd!

--Winston
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.