compressor tank repair

Old December 4th 10, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default compressor tank repair

OK, so I got a deal - Like new 60-gallon Kobalt compressor for $125 on CL.
He said it had a hole in the tank, but he couldn't find it.

So I got it home powered it up, and sure enough, there's a hole in the
bottom It's about 1/16", in the weld area adjacent to the large drain
bung at the very bottom.
Now, this thing looks brand new. I really don't think it's rust
perforation. the paint wasn't bubbled, and there is no rust at the edges
of the hole. i think it was just a porous weld. Anyway, I'd like to fix it.

Here's what I'm thinking: Drill out to whatever diameter gives good
thickness.
Tap it, and screw in a bolt.
Then either braze or silver solder

Better suggestions welcome.
Old December 4th 10, 03:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-04, RBnDFW wrote:
OK, so I got a deal - Like new 60-gallon Kobalt compressor for $125 on CL.
He said it had a hole in the tank, but he couldn't find it.

So I got it home powered it up, and sure enough, there's a hole in the
bottom It's about 1/16", in the weld area adjacent to the large drain
bung at the very bottom.
Now, this thing looks brand new. I really don't think it's rust
perforation. the paint wasn't bubbled, and there is no rust at the edges
of the hole. i think it was just a porous weld. Anyway, I'd like to fix it.

Here's what I'm thinking: Drill out to whatever diameter gives good
thickness.
Tap it, and screw in a bolt.
Then either braze or silver solder

Better suggestions welcome.

It may be a crack in steel. I had a compressor tank that had such a
crack. You need to examine it closely.

Old December 4th 10, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-04, RBnDFW wrote:
OK, so I got a deal - Like new 60-gallon Kobalt compressor for $125 on CL.
He said it had a hole in the tank, but he couldn't find it.

So I got it home powered it up, and sure enough, there's a hole in the
bottom It's about 1/16", in the weld area adjacent to the large drain
bung at the very bottom.
Now, this thing looks brand new. I really don't think it's rust
perforation. the paint wasn't bubbled, and there is no rust at the edges
of the hole. i think it was just a porous weld. Anyway, I'd like to fix it.

Here's what I'm thinking: Drill out to whatever diameter gives good
thickness.
Tap it, and screw in a bolt.
Then either braze or silver solder

Better suggestions welcome.

It may be a crack in steel. I had a compressor tank that had such a
crack. You need to examine it closely.

Since those tanks normally have a big 2" port on the side, you can
remove the fittings from there and inspect inside with an inspection
mirror and a flashlight.

Definitely recommend carefully removing the paint from a good area
around the leak for a close inspection for cracks or other issues.

If you can, try tapping to something like 1/8" NPT and put in a tapered
plug with some Rectorseal and skip any heating process like
welding/brazing/soldering.
Old December 4th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wire brush. JB Weld.

Keep in mind, I've not repaired an air tank yet, and I may well be
mistaken. You could also pilot hole, and then put in a self drilling
screw with some kind of washer (nylon? Rubber?).

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old December 4th 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

OK, so I got a deal - Like new 60-gallon Kobalt compressor for $125 on CL.
He said it had a hole in the tank, but he couldn't find it.

So I got it home powered it up, and sure enough, there's a hole in the
bottom It's about 1/16", in the weld area adjacent to the large drain
bung at the very bottom.
Now, this thing looks brand new. I really don't think it's rust
perforation. the paint wasn't bubbled, and there is no rust at the edges
of the hole. i think it was just a porous weld. Anyway, I'd like to fix it.

Here's what I'm thinking: Drill out to whatever diameter gives good
thickness.
Tap it, and screw in a bolt.
Then either braze or silver solder

Better suggestions welcome.

Important things to keep in mind:

- Inspect carefully for cracks

- Avoid any heating process that could change the metal strength

- The force on small holes / plugs is small, so you don't need welded or
brazed connections. Even a 1/2" dia plug at 120 PSI is only about 25#
force.

- Pressure tanks are not magic, so if you inspect it and find it is just
a manufacturing flaw in the weld, and you repair it without doing
anything to compromise tank strength it should be fine.
Old December 4th 10, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-04, wrote:
OK, so I got a deal - Like new 60-gallon Kobalt compressor for $125 on CL.
He said it had a hole in the tank, but he couldn't find it.

So I got it home powered it up, and sure enough, there's a hole in the
bottom It's about 1/16", in the weld area adjacent to the large drain
bung at the very bottom.
Now, this thing looks brand new. I really don't think it's rust
perforation. the paint wasn't bubbled, and there is no rust at the edges
of the hole. i think it was just a porous weld. Anyway, I'd like to fix it.

Here's what I'm thinking: Drill out to whatever diameter gives good
thickness.
Tap it, and screw in a bolt.
Then either braze or silver solder

Better suggestions welcome.

It may be a crack in steel. I had a compressor tank that had such a
crack. You need to examine it closely.

Well, it's right on a weld where the bottom bung is attached.
I wish i still had that tank I sold you

I have a friend who is an ace welder with aircraft certs. I may run it
by his place and see what he thinks
Old December 4th 10, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-04, wrote:
[...]

The tank you sold me, was used to replace the tank with the above
mentioned crack. ;-)

I have a friend who is an ace welder with aircraft certs. I may run it
by his place and see what he thinks

It should be easy.
Old December 4th 10, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon"
Wire brush. JB Weld.

Use jb quik, for those times when you're in a
hurry and can't fix it right. Remember to criss
cross some duct tape over it too, eih?

Old December 4th 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 4, 11:07*am, RBnDFW wrote:

There are several products for preserving the interiors of car doors
etc that might stop other weld defects from rusting through, or plug
them.

jsw
Old December 4th 10, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

- Inspect carefully for cracks

Everyone agrees on that, but how? If it was the hull of a sub or a reactor
vessel they would use xrays. There must be a good reason for that, so
something more than a magnifying glass might be advisable. Maybe some
chemical would make a crack more visible under a UV light?

zero, and remove the last word.