Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cute small hobbyist mill (K&T #4) $1900

14,000 lbs (not a typo) and buyer is responsible for getting it out of
the basement.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/1919690888.html

$1900 is a reasonable price?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus28169" wrote in message
14,000 lbs (not a typo) and buyer is responsible for getting it out of
the basement.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/1919690888.html

$1900 is a reasonable price?

I paid $350 for mine. That included delivery. Its probobaly 1940'S vintage.

Wanna bet he has to pay to get that mill hauled out of his basement.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 01:23:27 -0500, Ignoramus28169
wrote:

14,000 lbs (not a typo) and buyer is responsible for getting it out of
the basement.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/1919690888.html

$1900 is a reasonable price?

Its a very reasonable price, if nothing more than scrap value.

It looks like a nice mill, if one has the room and power to run it.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
It looks like a nice mill, if one has the room and power to run it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly. And moving the 14000 lbs of it. Which takes away 99% of
HSM'ers. Given there's no commercial/industrial market, that leaves him
with little to no market for it. As Tom said, he'll probably end up
paying to have it hauled away.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
It looks like a nice mill, if one has the room and power to run it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly. And moving the 14000 lbs of it. Which takes away 99% of
HSM'ers. Given there's no commercial/industrial market, that leaves him
with little to no market for it. As Tom said, he'll probably end up
paying to have it hauled away.

Bob

There is a commercial / industrial market for it, namely businesses
repairing older heavy equipment / farm equipment, but whether there is
one in the area that would be interested is the question.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 07:46:27 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
It looks like a nice mill, if one has the room and power to run it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly. And moving the 14000 lbs of it. Which takes away 99% of
HSM'ers. Given there's no commercial/industrial market, that leaves him
with little to no market for it. As Tom said, he'll probably end up
paying to have it hauled away.

You might be right, Bob. But I'll bet he goes to the "FREE if you
move it out" tack first, and he may get bites that way.

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

wrote:

14,000 lbs (not a typo) and buyer is responsible for getting it out of
the basement.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/1919690888.html

$1900 is a reasonable price?

Its a very reasonable price, if nothing more than scrap value.

never seen a scrap dealer bid that kind of money

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

14,000 lbs (not a typo) and buyer is responsible for getting it out of
the basement.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/1919690888.html

$1900 is a reasonable price?

Its a very reasonable price, if nothing more than scrap value.

never seen a scrap dealer bid that kind of money

Scrap value as brought into a scrap yard, is $1400.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
It looks like a nice mill, if one has the room and power to run it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly. And moving the 14000 lbs of it. Which takes away 99% of
HSM'ers. Given there's no commercial/industrial market, that leaves him
with little to no market for it. As Tom said, he'll probably end up
paying to have it hauled away.

Bob

There is a commercial / industrial market for it, namely businesses
repairing older heavy equipment / farm equipment, but whether there is
one in the area that would be interested is the question.

I have a couple jobs right now that would work for that machine. I have
a bunch of big blocks that have to be squared up.

I would be interested if it were closer to me.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 11:42:18 -0500, Ignoramus24760

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24760 wrote:
Scrap value as brought into a scrap yard, is $1400.

The convent that Habitat is converting in Lawrence MA had a huge amount
of cast iron radiators, as well as a huge cast iron boiler. The scrap
dealer is giving them 30-some cents a pound. For cast iron, steel is
WAY less.

If that's the case in Milwaukee, then breaking down this mill to
separate the cast iron could be profitable. Say 90% of it is ci, then
90% x 14000 x .33(say) = $4158.

Thinking that that cast iron price is not normal,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-03, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus24760 wrote:
Scrap value as brought into a scrap yard, is $1400.

The convent that Habitat is converting in Lawrence MA had a huge amount
of cast iron radiators, as well as a huge cast iron boiler. The scrap
dealer is giving them 30-some cents a pound. For cast iron, steel is
WAY less.

If that's the case in Milwaukee, then breaking down this mill to
separate the cast iron could be profitable. Say 90% of it is ci, then
90% x 14000 x .33(say) = $4158.

Thinking that that cast iron price is not normal,
Bob

Someone told me that scrap yards pay 100-200 dollars per ton.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-03, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus24760 wrote:
Scrap value as brought into a scrap yard, is $1400.

The convent that Habitat is converting in Lawrence MA had a huge amount
of cast iron radiators, as well as a huge cast iron boiler. The scrap
dealer is giving them 30-some cents a pound. For cast iron, steel is
WAY less.

If that's the case in Milwaukee, then breaking down this mill to
separate the cast iron could be profitable. Say 90% of it is ci, then
90% x 14000 x .33(say) = $4158.

Thinking that that cast iron price is not normal,
Bob

Someone told me that scrap yards pay 100-200 dollars per ton.

When I've seen them at auctions, they won't pay more than a few hundred for
a mill, and if it's too big or unwieldy to disassemble or move, they don't
even bid.

There is a foundry near here that buys any large castings it can
find, to make equipment for the mining industry.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Ignoramus24760 wrote:
Scrap value as brought into a scrap yard, is $1400.

The convent that Habitat is converting in Lawrence MA had a huge amount of
cast iron radiators, as well as a huge cast iron boiler. The scrap dealer
is giving them 30-some cents a pound. For cast iron, steel is WAY less.

If that's the case in Milwaukee, then breaking down this mill to separate
the cast iron could be profitable. Say 90% of it is ci, then 90% x 14000
x .33(say) = $4158.

Thinking that that cast iron price is not normal,
Bob

I think he was giving them a huge premium for the radiators.
Clean motor cast brings $235 a ton.
The last time I shopped for a used radiator, a small one was $14 per
section. So a small 5 section radiator weighing, maybe 60 lbs was costing
$70. That was 7 or 8 years ago.

Paul K. Dickman