Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is BT30 compatible with NMTB 30?

Is that the same taper or not. can I use it in a NMTB30 quick change
spindle. An auction is coming up...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4117 wrote:
Is that the same taper or not. can I use it in a NMTB30 quick change
spindle. An auction is coming up...

My understanding is the taper is the same, but the drive dogs and
retention knob
are entirely different, and it would be very difficult to convert from
one to the
other.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-02, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus4117 wrote:
Is that the same taper or not. can I use it in a NMTB30 quick change
spindle. An auction is coming up...

My understanding is the taper is the same, but the drive dogs and
retention knob are entirely different, and it would be very
difficult to convert from one to the other.

Thanks Jon. Did I mention that your PPMC is a great product?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 23:23:28 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Ignoramus4117 wrote:
Is that the same taper or not. can I use it in a NMTB30 quick change
spindle. An auction is coming up...

My understanding is the taper is the same, but the drive dogs and
retention knob
are entirely different, and it would be very difficult to convert from
one to the
other.

Jon

and the draw bolt has a different thread and size. Some are metric

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus4117 wrote:
Is that the same taper or not. can I use it in a NMTB30 quick change
spindle. An auction is coming up...

My understanding is the taper is the same, but the drive dogs and
retention knob
are entirely different, and it would be very difficult to convert from
one to the
other.

Jon

and the draw bolt has a different thread and size. Some are metric

Since he has a Quick Change NMTB30 spindle with a retention collar
instead of a drawbar, can he use BT30 in the spindle with a suitable
BT30 drawbar, or will the Quick Change collar get in the way?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-02, Ignoramus4117 wrote:
Is that the same taper or not. can I use it in a NMTB30 quick change
spindle. An auction is coming up...

The *taper* is the same -- but the flange (which your
quick-change spindle depends on) is quite different.

So -- no *you* can't use them -- unless you remove the
quick-change locking ring, remove the draw stud, and make a drawbar to
fit the thread which the draw stud uses.

I've used BT-40 in a NMTB 40 spindle -- but with a special
drawbar and no quick-change nose. (This is on an old Nichols horizontal
spindle mill.) I've also made collars for the back of the taper to
accept existing drawbars for that machine.

If you can get *one* cheap -- get it, so you can learn the
difference. But don't bid on it expecting to use it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus4117 wrote:
Is that the same taper or not. can I use it in a NMTB30 quick change
spindle. An auction is coming up...

My understanding is the taper is the same, but the drive dogs and
retention knob
are entirely different, and it would be very difficult to convert from
one to the
other.

Jon

and the draw bolt has a different thread and size. Some are metric

Since he has a Quick Change NMTB30 spindle with a retention collar
instead of a drawbar, can he use BT30 in the spindle with a suitable
BT30 drawbar, or will the Quick Change collar get in the way?

Oh. The Quick Change Collar will definately be in the way.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3 Sep 2010 04:56:03 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2010-09-02, Ignoramus4117 wrote:
Is that the same taper or not. can I use it in a NMTB30 quick change
spindle. An auction is coming up...

The *taper* is the same -- but the flange (which your
quick-change spindle depends on) is quite different.

So -- no *you* can't use them -- unless you remove the
quick-change locking ring, remove the draw stud, and make a drawbar to
fit the thread which the draw stud uses.

I've used BT-40 in a NMTB 40 spindle -- but with a special
drawbar and no quick-change nose. (This is on an old Nichols horizontal
spindle mill.) I've also made collars for the back of the taper to
accept existing drawbars for that machine.

If you can get *one* cheap -- get it, so you can learn the
difference. But don't bid on it expecting to use it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Indeed. My Gorton Master Mill is NMTB 30.
I have a fair collection of NMTB, CAT and BT 30 holders..and 3 different
draw bars that are marked by different color spray paint so I know which
goes with what

They all fit the spindle nose, but all require different draw bars..

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-03, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 07:49:29 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[ ... ]

and the draw bolt has a different thread and size. Some are metric

Since he has a Quick Change NMTB30 spindle with a retention collar
instead of a drawbar, can he use BT30 in the spindle with a suitable
BT30 drawbar, or will the Quick Change collar get in the way?

Oh. The Quick Change Collar will definately be in the way.

Absolutely so!

I've got one BT-30 (or was it a CAT-30) which I tried turning
the flange thickness down on the lathe to match the NMTB-30 flange
thickness -- but I haven't dared to try it yet.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

FREE NMTB 50 shell mill arbor, 1x25", Lisle, IL Ignoramus25832 Metalworking 1 April 5th 10 09:49 PM
#50 NMTB tooling available Jon[_4_] Metalworking 0 July 3rd 08 07:57 PM
NMTB #40 mill collets on Ebay Stupendous Man Metalworking 12 November 8th 07 02:39 AM
Linseed Oil & Wax compatible with Dye? James Woodworking 0 December 14th 04 07:25 PM
WTB: BT30 tool holders steamer Metalworking 1 July 16th 03 08:47 PM