Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Much educational CNCing today

I did something that took quite a bit of effort (since I had to figure
out a few things).

My FIL has a knife without a handle. Asked me to make a handle. The
way I chose to do it, was to make a handle out of two symmetrical
halves, so that a profile of the tang is removed from both
halves. They would "close around the tang" and mate together.

The tang is a little curvy, and I wanted to replicate its shape, both
for the heck of it and for snug fit.

I measured the profile every 1/4 inch, using a electronic edge finder
as a probe, kind of. (I do have a probe, but have not had a chance to
hook it up, more on this later). Then coded it in G code. For the
other half, I had to invert the coordinates, so as to get a mirror
image.

The bottom line is that after a few mistakes as usual, the halves
aligned perfectly and I could press fit the tang between them. Then I
used some EDM tubing to make two makeshift rivets.

Considering that my FIL abuses this knife, I will also add a few
screws to hold the halves together. These rivets would not "do
it".

Alternatively, I may weld them together around the perimeter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4078 wrote:

[...]

A flatbed scanner would do a nice job capturing the tang shape (with a
ruler in the scan for scale) so you could pull it into your CAD software
as a background image to trace over.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-30, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus4078 wrote:

[...]

Well, what I should really do, is to learn to use my probe and install
a audio jack outlet for mine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-30, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus4078 wrote:

[...]

Probe is fine for complex 3D surfaces, but a flatbed scanner is far
faster for 2D stuff that will fit on the flatbed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-30, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus4078 wrote:

[...]

Well, I still need to learn to use the probe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Probe is fine for complex 3D surfaces, but a flatbed scanner is far
faster for 2D stuff that will fit on the flatbed.

Well, I still need to learn to use the probe.

Just so you know there's more than one approach, I like a probe for 2D
shapes. You can go right from points to Gcode. I don't own a decent
scanner, just a three function printer, so I've never really tried
that route.

For 3D, I really like my laser displacement sensor. About 100 times
faster than a probe. But I do need "the kid" to turn the point cloud
into a program.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-31, Karl Townsend wrote:
Probe is fine for complex 3D surfaces, but a flatbed scanner is far
faster for 2D stuff that will fit on the flatbed.

Well, I still need to learn to use the probe.

Just so you know there's more than one approach, I like a probe for 2D
shapes. You can go right from points to Gcode.

Exactly.

I don't own a decent
scanner, just a three function printer, so I've never really tried
that route.

For 3D, I really like my laser displacement sensor. About 100 times
faster than a probe. But I do need "the kid" to turn the point cloud
into a program.

Karl, do you have some example on the web of those laser sensors?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

On 2010-08-30, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus4078 wrote:

[...]

Or use a digital camera and Corel Draw and Corel trace then export it as a
..dxf file. Works a treat for plasma cutting tables.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl, do you have some example on the web of those laser sensors?

do a search on ebay for laser displacement.

Here's my controller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Omron-Laser-Disp...em4cf130 c48a

looks like the head isn't included in this offer.

It pays to shop ebay a while. The same units go from $20 to $1000+

my unit puts out 4 - 20 miliamps measuring a distance within +/- .0015
inches. You take data on the fly. For most stuff, sample once every
0.050 inches and move the machine at about 5ipm. if you're really into
detail, I've seen scans of a coin and you can read the writing in the
point cloud.

rhino is the best software for dealing with point clouds from what
little I know.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-31, Karl Townsend wrote:

Karl, do you have some example on the web of those laser sensors?

do a search on ebay for laser displacement.

Here's my controller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Omron-Laser-Disp...em4cf130 c48a

looks like the head isn't included in this offer.

It pays to shop ebay a while. The same units go from $20 to $1000+

my unit puts out 4 - 20 miliamps measuring a distance within +/- .0015
inches. You take data on the fly. For most stuff, sample once every
0.050 inches and move the machine at about 5ipm. if you're really into
detail, I've seen scans of a coin and you can read the writing in the
point cloud.

rhino is the best software for dealing with point clouds from what
little I know.

I used to write software dealing with point clouds. That was for a
defense contractor, and the objective was to recognize incoming
warheads and determine several characteristics.

I will try to read up on laser sensors, right now I cannot tell a good
one from a bad one, or a complete from incomplete one. It sounds
extremely interesting, compared to a touch probe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 21:37:31 -0500, Ignoramus24925

On 2010-08-31, Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Which side of the ocean?

I will try to read up on laser sensors, right now I cannot tell a good
one from a bad one, or a complete from incomplete one. It sounds
extremely interesting, compared to a touch probe.

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-31, Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

The "wrong" side of the ocean.

I will try to read up on laser sensors, right now I cannot tell a good
one from a bad one, or a complete from incomplete one. It sounds
extremely interesting, compared to a touch probe.

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-31, Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

So did you manage to recognize an incoming Minuteman II or Peacekeeper?

Gunner

I will try to read up on laser sensors, right now I cannot tell a good
one from a bad one, or a complete from incomplete one. It sounds
extremely interesting, compared to a touch probe.

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-31, Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Well, it worked pretty decently in simulation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 31, 8:43*am, Ignoramus20906 ignoramus20...@NOSPAM.
20906.invalid wrote:

Well, it worked pretty decently in simulation.

Do they nutate much?

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

20906.invalid wrote:
Well, it worked pretty decently in simulation.

Do they nutate much?

Umm, if he told us, he'd have to kill us! Thank goodness they only got
to check this out in simulation. the ONLY people who really know are on
Kwajalein, and they certainly aren't talking. They get a couple
Minutemen dummy warheads a year incoming.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 07:43:52 -0500, Ignoramus20906

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-31, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 21:37:31 -0500, Ignoramus24925
wrote:

[ ... ]

I used to write software dealing with point clouds. That was for a
defense contractor, and the objective was to recognize incoming
warheads and determine several characteristics.

Which side of the ocean?

The "wrong" side of the ocean.

So did you manage to recognize an incoming Minuteman II or Peacekeeper?

Well, it worked pretty decently in simulation.

Hmm ... sounds like a program which I heard of to develop
software to do image-recognition on aircraft. It was one of those
neural net things, and they tried training it on available photos.

End result was something *very* good at telling a sharp photo
from a blurry one -- given that the training for our aircraft was done
from publicity stills from the aircraft manufacturers, while the ones
for the "other" aircraft were from spy work -- and tended to be not
nearly as good photographically. :-)

So -- who knows what your thing would have done in practice. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
So -- who knows what your thing would have done in practice. :-)

Our people also worked a whole lot on this in the star wars programs,
they went far enough
to send up rockets with seeker heads that would try to discern the
decoys from the
dummy reentry vehicles. What worked best was to observe the rate of
cooling of
the objects as they flew through space after separating from the bus.
The dummys
(weight the same as real warheads in reentry vehicles) stayed warm, the
decoys
(something like balloons) cooled more quickly. They also did some
kinetic kill
intercepts, some worked, quite a number didn't.

We were allowed a certain number of test missiles a year under the START
treaties,
and tried to get as much info out of those as possible. So, while the
site at Kwajalein
recorded the impacts of the RV's in the ocean, they also fired a variety
of seeker and
interceptor missiles at the incoming test shots and also played many
laser tag games
and radar experiments. Much of that is still secret stuff, but some
thin details have
been let out. Kwajalein is supposed to be the most secret and secure US
site in the world.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-03, Jon Elson wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
[...]

Jon, one would think, that to prevent decoys from cooling too quickly,
all one needs is to put a larger version of chemical hand warmer in
them. Interesting stuff, the cat and mouse game. Especially when the
Russians and the Americans are not sure if their decoy and intercept
ideas will work in actual practice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09/03/2010 12:16 AM, Ignoramus28169 wrote:

Jon, one would think, that to prevent decoys from cooling too quickly,
all one needs is to put a larger version of chemical hand warmer in
them. Interesting stuff, the cat and mouse game. Especially when the
Russians and the Americans are not sure if their decoy and intercept
ideas will work in actual practice.

Yes, we tried to start yet ANOTHER insane arms race with the Russians
over this, but internal collapse put an end to it, at least for a couple
decades. The problems of basing any rational geopolitical strategy on
trusting that your anti-missile system can stop EVERY one of the other
side's re-entry vehicles is a kind of insanity we fortunately avoided.
The obvious downside is that missing even ONE RV ends up losing an
entire city.

No one actually knows what will happen to a real city with one of the
high-tech nuclear devices, as nobody has used one against a real city,
thank goodness! But, modern two-stage weapons are WAY more powerful
than the primitive single-stage devices used in Japan, so it is pretty
clear it would be SO much worse!

Nowadays, it isn't highly sophisticated rivals that we have to worry
about, it is a tramp freighter with a rogue cargo container steaming
into some port. Homeland Security is working on that, but it is a
pretty tough problem.

Jon