Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Iggy, found your lathe

http://www.hoffhilk.net/cgi-bin/mnli...ffhilk37/42/11

dead omni turn. will bring peanuts.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
http://www.hoffhilk.net/cgi-bin/mnli...ffhilk37/42/11

dead omni turn. will bring peanuts.

Karl, looks interesting, did you see it? It is not exactly timely for
me for personal reasons, but I caqnnot stop thinking about it. What
are the capacities of this thing?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:01:46 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

http://www.hoffhilk.net/cgi-bin/mnli...ffhilk37/42/11

dead omni turn. will bring peanuts.

Karl

Snag it..and Ill teach you how to fix it up and run it.

They can be repaired for fairly simple money, it appears to be all there
(cant see the MC2 card in the base of the computer..thats $1500 if its
missing)

http://www.omniturn.com/bin/RepairPa...components.htm

Two ball screws if need replacement total less than $650 from
suppliers.. From Omni...well... more than double that....

$950 each....

http://www.omniturn.com/bin/RepairPa...components.htm

That will turn Stuff up to about 4" in diameter, though its normally
used for 5C work.

As it sits..its worth $3-4k minimum.

The factory will rebuild your slide for $5k G

http://www.omniturn.com/

The iffy part..is if one or more servos are dead. Those can be a bit
pricey..$850 each

http://www.omniturn.com/bin/RepairPa...components.htm

Though you can get rebuilts for $350 each

They are very easy to repair, both mechanically and electrically..and I
can teach you over the phone what to check and how to check it.

And Ill do it for free for anyone here who buys it.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:

On 8/27/2010 12:01 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

http://www.hoffhilk.net/cgi-bin/mnli...ffhilk37/42/11
dead omni turn. will bring peanuts.

Dang, if that wasn't so far away, I'd take a shot just to have the spare
parts...

Jon

If it was closer I'd have a go. When the EPA outlaws lead for bullets, I'm going to be
copying Barnes bullet designs for my personal use.

wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:57:42 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 8/27/2010 12:01 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

http://www.hoffhilk.net/cgi-bin/mnli...ffhilk37/42/11
dead omni turn. will bring peanuts.

Dang, if that wasn't so far away, I'd take a shot just to have the spare
parts...

Jon

It looks like its nearly all there Jon..shouldnt take much to get her up
and running properly. And you notice..its got a VFD and most likely a
proper 5hp motor..unlike your 1hp wimp

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:42:36 -0500, Ignoramus31855

On 2010-08-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
http://www.hoffhilk.net/cgi-bin/mnli...ffhilk37/42/11

dead omni turn. will bring peanuts.

Karl, looks interesting, did you see it? It is not exactly timely for
me for personal reasons, but I caqnnot stop thinking about it. What
are the capacities of this thing?

the preview day is Monday. Its about five miles from "The Kid's" job.

The machine is great for small parts. With effort the max. size would
be about four inch diameter by eight inch long.

This is a surplus to operations auction. The worst kind of auction.
You can bet its beat to s%^t. But a beat up hardinge is better than an
excellent Asian lathe.

"The Kid" is planning a trip to Rockford, IL next week with his 3/4
ton pickup.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If it was closer I'd have a go. When the EPA outlaws lead for bullets, I'm going to be
copying Barnes bullet designs for my personal use.

wes

tell me more, I've got a CHNC gathering dust.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 19:10:33 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Jon Anderson wrote:

On 8/27/2010 12:01 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

http://www.hoffhilk.net/cgi-bin/mnli...ffhilk37/42/11
dead omni turn. will bring peanuts.

Dang, if that wasn't so far away, I'd take a shot just to have the spare
parts...

Jon

If it was closer I'd have a go. When the EPA outlaws lead for bullets, I'm going to be
copying Barnes bullet designs for my personal use.

wes

A client of mine was making (dont know if he still does) bronze bullets
for an unnamed US agency on his OmniTurn. From what I understand..they
were very very good for certain things out to about 2200 meters.

..50BMG out of a Barnette

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/27/2010 2:42 PM, Ignoramus31855 wrote:

Karl, looks interesting, did you see it? It is not exactly timely for
me for personal reasons, but I caqnnot stop thinking about it. What
are the capacities of this thing?

Personally if you are looking for the most capability, I'd suggest
looking for one of the CNC converted engine lathes. Something with a
tailstock will be more versatile overall. Not sure of the center height
of that machine, but it's either 3/8 or 1/2". That means you can only
turn, in theory, 3/4" or 1" diameter material MAX over the slide, and
there's nothing to support the end of the shaft.

Don't know if mine's a bit loose/worn, but it sure doesn't like even
medium cuts on 304SS. Kicks ass on delrin and small diameter parts though.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
http://www.hoffhilk.net/cgi-bin/mnli...ffhilk37/42/11

dead omni turn. will bring peanuts.

Karl, looks interesting, did you see it? It is not exactly timely for
me for personal reasons, but I caqnnot stop thinking about it. What
are the capacities of this thing?

the preview day is Monday. Its about five miles from "The Kid's" job.

The machine is great for small parts. With effort the max. size would
be about four inch diameter by eight inch long.

This is a surplus to operations auction. The worst kind of auction.
You can bet its beat to s%^t. But a beat up hardinge is better than an
excellent Asian lathe.

"The Kid" is planning a trip to Rockford, IL next week with his 3/4
ton pickup.

Karl

LOL, that will let him sleep.

Delivery arranged, wow !

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
http://www.hoffhilk.net/cgi-bin/mnli...ffhilk37/42/11

dead omni turn. will bring peanuts.

Karl, looks interesting, did you see it? It is not exactly timely for
me for personal reasons, but I caqnnot stop thinking about it. What
are the capacities of this thing?

the preview day is Monday. Its about five miles from "The Kid's" job.

The machine is great for small parts. With effort the max. size would
be about four inch diameter by eight inch long.

This is a surplus to operations auction. The worst kind of auction.
You can bet its beat to s%^t. But a beat up hardinge is better than an
excellent Asian lathe.

"The Kid" is planning a trip to Rockford, IL next week with his 3/4
ton pickup.

Karl, looks really great, but timing is not so good, I need to clean
up my garage and am generally swamped. Also on the lathe, I often find
a need for turning comparatively big things. If it was local, I would
consider. Thanks for bringing it up. There is also a chance that the
control broke when the machine was not so beat up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2010-08-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Find one on my route up and I can pick it up on my way, and that way
when the new lathe arrives, the SWMBO will also see the old mill leaving
and not be quite as annoyed...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2010-08-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Annoyed? The resulting EXPLOSION will be enough to level the entire
Chicagoland. I promised to clean 1/2 of the garage for her car by the
end ov November.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2010-08-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

You have some heavy lifting ahead of you. But I think it looks just fine as
it is. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 16:01:08 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 8/27/2010 2:42 PM, Ignoramus31855 wrote:

Karl, looks interesting, did you see it? It is not exactly timely for
me for personal reasons, but I caqnnot stop thinking about it. What
are the capacities of this thing?

Personally if you are looking for the most capability, I'd suggest
looking for one of the CNC converted engine lathes. Something with a
tailstock will be more versatile overall. Not sure of the center height
of that machine, but it's either 3/8 or 1/2". That means you can only
turn, in theory, 3/4" or 1" diameter material MAX over the slide, and
there's nothing to support the end of the shaft.

Don't know if mine's a bit loose/worn, but it sure doesn't like even
medium cuts on 304SS. Kicks ass on delrin and small diameter parts though.

Jon

Define "medium cuts"...and how old is it? G

That was delivered to you..humm...5-6 yrs ago after being bought
used..wasnt it?

Now Id be happy as can be working through the issue with you. You have
my phone number.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2010-08-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

The control is easy to fix. Its a 386/486 with an ISA board, a
monochrome video card and a MC2 card (master control card) and a bunch
of Barco switches.

Shrug..they are dead simple.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 18:56:48 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 8/27/2010 3:18 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

It looks like its nearly all there Jon..shouldnt take much to get her up
and running properly. And you notice..its got a VFD and most likely a
proper 5hp motor..unlike your 1hp wimp

Well the shipping would probably FAR outstrip the cost of the lathe
itself. Then too, I already have 2 20' containers worth of crap and am
only going to ship one, can't see adding to the mess...

Jon

It was worth teasing you though G

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2010-08-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Ow! So you're planning the dedicated shop addition to the house to
replace the loss of half the current shop... er... garage?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2010-08-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

No, but I think that in a year or two we could upgrae the house to
something a little better.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/27/2010 6:38 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Define "medium cuts"...and how old is it?G

..050 DOC, .003/rev feed, 3/4" dia stock at around 1100 rpm. (hard to
tell as there's a very large dead band in the speed control and the
numbers are all but worn off) That may not be book ideal, but it's what
works best after a lot of fiddling with speeds and feeds.
It'll do it, it just doesn't really like it. Suspect a fair bit of it is
I just don't have the right insert. But the part only comes around maybe
twice a year, 20-25 pcs, so I just don't worry about it too much.

Just ran some tiny parts in 303 and held a couple tenths over 260+ pcs,
sure can't complain about that! I didn't mean to sound like I am bagging
on Omniturns.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 21:39:08 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 8/27/2010 6:38 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Define "medium cuts"...and how old is it?G

.050 DOC, .003/rev feed, 3/4" dia stock at around 1100 rpm. (hard to
tell as there's a very large dead band in the speed control and the
numbers are all but worn off) That may not be book ideal, but it's what
works best after a lot of fiddling with speeds and feeds.
It'll do it, it just doesn't really like it. Suspect a fair bit of it is
I just don't have the right insert. But the part only comes around maybe
twice a year, 20-25 pcs, so I just don't worry about it too much.

What is the material?

And how many horse power are you running?

Just ran some tiny parts in 303 and held a couple tenths over 260+ pcs,
sure can't complain about that! I didn't mean to sound like I am bagging
on Omniturns.

Jon

I know. G

You just happen to have one of the weak versions. Shrug

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2010-08-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Or you could buy a small commercial warehouse bay type building not too
far away and lease out most of the bays, keeping one for yourself and
even have real three phase power.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 08:54:04 -0500, "Pete C."

wrote:

On 2010-08-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Now there..is a thought. Good one!

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2010-08-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Ig, you just used the seven scariest words a Wreck or Wreck.metalheads
member could imagine: "I have to clean up my garage."

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do,
we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 21:00:49 -0500, Ignoramus31855

wrote:

On 2010-08-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

_YOU FUEL_! Shoulda given her one of these, instead:
http://fwd4.me/bHl

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do,
we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we
cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2010-08-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Im still in shock...trembling at that concept.....brrrrrrr!!!!!!

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

If it was closer I'd have a go. When the EPA outlaws lead for bullets, I'm going to be
copying Barnes bullet designs for my personal use.

wes

tell me more, I've got a CHNC gathering dust.

Karl

I don't think the current attempt to ban lead is going anywhere now that I've had a look
into it. Barnes makes a line of copper bullets for big game. The bullets are made out of
copper. I wonder if they turn or swage them. Turning would be a way and I've heard milk
works as a lube or coolant turning copper. I don't think I could stand the smell of old
coolant though. Might make a coolant chiller mandatory.

If it comes to it, I'll be cnc'ing something to make bullets.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl, looks really great, but timing is not so good, I need to clean
up my garage and am generally swamped. Also on the lathe, I often find
a need for turning comparatively big things. If it was local, I would
consider. Thanks for bringing it up. There is also a chance that the
control broke when the machine was not so beat up.

Find one on my route up and I can pick it up on my way, and that way
when the new lathe arrives, the SWMBO will also see the old mill leaving
and not be quite as annoyed...

Annoyed? The resulting EXPLOSION will be enough to level the entire
Chicagoland. I promised to clean 1/2 of the garage for her car by the
end ov November.

Iggy...

....if you need to "stash" or "hide" some stuff, I'm just about 30
miles north of Rockford....and I might be able to hide some stuff for
you til spring.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 27, 3:01*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
http://www.hoffhilk.net/cgi-bin/mnli...ffhilk37/42/11

dead omni turn. will bring peanuts.

Karl

wait a minute, I think he;'s looking for metal chips not peanuts? g
especiallky not dead peanuts:-)

--
~g~

Hey Iggy Bob La Londe Metalworking 15 August 2nd 10 04:55 PM
Karl, I found a good lathe for your future condo Ignoramus3837 Metalworking 9 February 10th 10 04:14 AM
Iggy, do you have a 20 HP VFD Greg O[_2_] Metalworking 4 November 22nd 09 06:25 AM
Iggy SteveB[_9_] Metalworking 9 August 17th 09 10:56 PM
03/17/07 Reuters: Two bodies found in Mosul: The bodies of two men and two women were found in various districts of Mosul on Friday. Two infants were found alive beside the two dead women, police said. BGKM Woodworking 0 March 17th 07 09:14 PM