Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What end mill for engraving (high speed)

I am getting closer to having a high speed spindle (Bosch 1617EVS
router). I have to make an adaptor plate, and I am almost done with
coding.

Anyway, as far as using it goes, I want to engrave text, like on
panels and such. What sort of end mill would you recommend. Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 27, 12:21*pm, Ignoramus31855 ignoramus31...@NOSPAM.
31855.invalid wrote:
I am getting closer to having a high speed spindle (Bosch 1617EVS
router). I have to make an adaptor plate, and I am almost done with
coding.

Anyway, as far as using it goes, I want to engrave text, like on
panels and such. What sort of end mill would you recommend. Thanks

The ones I've seen have been second-cousin to a D-bit. Look like a
scratch awl tip stoned in half. Guy Lautard had some tips on how to
make one along with engraving pantograph drawings, see The Machinist's
Bedside Reader series.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31855 wrote:

I am getting closer to having a high speed spindle (Bosch 1617EVS
router). I have to make an adaptor plate, and I am almost done with
coding.

Anyway, as far as using it goes, I want to engrave text, like on
panels and such. What sort of end mill would you recommend. Thanks

You generally do not use end mills for engraving, you use single flute
engraving cutters.

Visit http://www.2linc.com for a lot of info on engraving as well as
engraving bits. I used a carbide bit from them for my pano-bracket
project and it worked well, even at ~2,500 RPM in my CNC'd mini mill.
They came in 3 pks, so I could bring you one when I come up in a few
weeks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-27, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus31855 wrote:

I am getting closer to having a high speed spindle (Bosch 1617EVS
router). I have to make an adaptor plate, and I am almost done with
coding.

Anyway, as far as using it goes, I want to engrave text, like on
panels and such. What sort of end mill would you recommend. Thanks

You generally do not use end mills for engraving, you use single flute
engraving cutters.

Visit http://www.2linc.com for a lot of info on engraving as well as
engraving bits. I used a carbide bit from them for my pano-bracket
project and it worked well, even at ~2,500 RPM in my CNC'd mini mill.
They came in 3 pks, so I could bring you one when I come up in a few
weeks.

Thanks. Nice website. I am on it right now. I will hopefully engrave
with a Bosch router, and I would like to run them at 15k RPM or more.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-27, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus31855 wrote:

I am getting closer to having a high speed spindle (Bosch 1617EVS
router). I have to make an adaptor plate, and I am almost done with
coding.

Anyway, as far as using it goes, I want to engrave text, like on
panels and such. What sort of end mill would you recommend. Thanks

You generally do not use end mills for engraving, you use single flute
engraving cutters.

Visit http://www.2linc.com for a lot of info on engraving as well as
engraving bits. I used a carbide bit from them for my pano-bracket
project and it worked well, even at ~2,500 RPM in my CNC'd mini mill.
They came in 3 pks, so I could bring you one when I come up in a few
weeks.

Thanks. Nice website. I am on it right now. I will hopefully engrave
with a Bosch router, and I would like to run them at 15k RPM or more.

One tip: Get your base mill finished and debugged before going off on
tangents like high speed spindles. Sort out your mystery limit switch
trips, figure out your spindle encoder since you'd likely use use
tapping more than engraving, etc.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:21:49 -0500, Ignoramus31855
wrote:

I am getting closer to having a high speed spindle (Bosch 1617EVS
router). I have to make an adaptor plate, and I am almost done with
coding.

Anyway, as far as using it goes, I want to engrave text, like on
panels and such. What sort of end mill would you recommend. Thanks

==========
Lots of suppliers. Two common types split point and
pyramid

see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYLtL1R440E
http://www.2linc.com/
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=619-1266
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/5014...ving-tool.html
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ONS...ing-Tool-4KPJ3
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33263
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=engraving+bit

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am getting closer to having a high speed spindle (Bosch 1617EVS
router). I have to make an adaptor plate, and I am almost done with
coding.

Anyway, as far as using it goes, I want to engrave text, like on
panels and such. What sort of end mill would you recommend. Thanks

Most that I've seen for engraving are vee cutters, some with flats on
the end.

eBay has solid carbide vees for cheap: http://fwd4.me/bHc 5 for $11.

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do,
we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

eBay has solid carbide vees for cheap: http://fwd4.me/bHc 5 for $11.

I just bid, don't outbid me.

karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus31855" wrote in message
I am getting closer to having a high speed spindle (Bosch 1617EVS
router). I have to make an adaptor plate, and I am almost done with
coding.

Anyway, as far as using it goes, I want to engrave text, like on
panels and such. What sort of end mill would you recommend. Thanks

I've bought from these folks and been happy with the product:

http://bitsbits.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4

Here's an example of an engraving made in acrylic with one of their bits:

http://memweb.newsguy.com/~mphenry/L...eTestFinal.JPG

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 12:16:54 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

eBay has solid carbide vees for cheap: http://fwd4.me/bHc 5 for $11.

I just bid, don't outbid me.

Silly rabbit. Had you checked, you'd have found that you could do a
BIN for -ten- of 'em from another guy for under $18. Maybe you'll
luck out and be outbid after all.

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do,
we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we
cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

eBay has solid carbide vees for cheap: http://fwd4.me/bHc 5 for $11.

I just bid, don't outbid me.

Silly rabbit. Had you checked, you'd have found that you could do a
BIN for -ten- of 'em from another guy for under $18. Maybe you'll
luck out and be outbid after all.

Guys, what is a good angle for them? 90%? 60%?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

eBay has solid carbide vees for cheap: http://fwd4.me/bHc 5 for $11.

I just bid, don't outbid me.

Silly rabbit. Had you checked, you'd have found that you could do a
BIN for -ten- of 'em from another guy for under $18. Maybe you'll
luck out and be outbid after all.

Guys, what is a good angle for them? 90%? 60%?

Yes! Oh, you meant degrees, not percent, right? It depends on the
depth of cut and thickness of the sheet. Do you want fine writing or
bold? 60 is good for deeper cuts, 90 for shallower. What font are
you going to use, what application, etc., Ig?

The correct answer is "It depends."

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do,
we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we
cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cncmillgil wrote:

On Aug 27, 1:21 pm, Ignoramus31855 ignoramus31...@NOSPAM.
31855.invalid wrote:
I am getting closer to having a high speed spindle (Bosch 1617EVS
router). I have to make an adaptor plate, and I am almost done with
coding.

Anyway, as far as using it goes, I want to engrave text, like on
panels and such. What sort of end mill would you recommend. Thanks

Plasma / or laser - only way to engrave nowadays.
So hook a laser head up to your Bport EMC2? why not?

Don't waste your time with cutters - its too labor intensive.
duh..........
THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX (never heard that one eh?)

What box?

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

31855.invalid wrote:
I am getting closer to having a high speed spindle (Bosch 1617EVS
router). I have to make an adaptor plate, and I am almost done with
coding.

Anyway, as far as using it goes, I want to engrave text, like on
panels and such. What sort of end mill would you recommend. Thanks

Plasma / or laser - only way to engrave nowadays.
So hook a laser head up to your Bport EMC2? why not?

Don't waste your time with cutters - its too labor intensive.
duh..........
THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX (never heard that one eh?)

* *What box?

Well, there are so many "boxes" that we live with.
Reminds me of an old Toolmaker - acktually the mold shop foreman at
the time.
Good old George, smart guy. Knew alot about machining. fixtures, jigs,
cutters, good at trig, cross slide turntable wiz, indexing with
dividing & Harig heads ect. Anyway he had a black box. Kept in his
tool box, kinda like a secret thing. Would always ask the guys that
came over to his bench " Wanna see whats in the box today? - for a
dollar"
He'd change it around with different "stuff" he'd collected over the
years, or sometimes nothing!
Kept the money collected in a cup & when there was enough lunch would
be on him.
So lesson learned???????

Smart ass me: " I dont care about boxes, the question is, whats your
bag man"g

--

~g~

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
?
? ? 31855.invalid? wrote:
[...]

You paid too much. Some people are never confined to some box, no
matter what size.

Smart ass me: " I dont care about boxes, the question is, whats your
bag man"?g?

I don't carry a purse, either.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike Henry wrote:

Here's an example of an engraving made in acrylic with one of their bits:

http://memweb.newsguy.com/~mphenry/L...eTestFinal.JPG

Mike

Your slide rule doesn't have a log scale. :-)
I don't suppose most people will recognize it anyway.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-30, Lewis Hartswick wrote:
Mike Henry wrote:

Here's an example of an engraving made in acrylic with one of their bits:

http://memweb.newsguy.com/~mphenry/L...eTestFinal.JPG

Mike

Your slide rule doesn't have a log scale. :-)
I don't suppose most people will recognize it anyway.

Well ... actually the "log" scale on a slide rule is linear, as
all the other scales are either logarithmic or more extreme (e.g. the
log-log scales).

So -- based on that, the engraved slide rule has two "log"
scales on the body -- and *no* scales on the slide.

Also -- it is missing a cursor. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-30, Lewis Hartswick ? wrote:
? Mike Henry wrote:
??
?? Here's an example of an engraving made in acrylic with one of their bits:
??
?? http://memweb.newsguy.com/~mphenry/L...eTestFinal.JPG
??
?? Mike
? Your slide rule doesn't have a log scale. :-)
? I don't suppose most people will recognize it anyway.

Well ... actually the "log" scale on a slide rule is linear, as
all the other scales are either logarithmic or more extreme (e.g. the
log-log scales).

So -- based on that, the engraved slide rule has two "log"
scales on the body -- and *no* scales on the slide.

Also -- it is missing a cursor. :-)

Cursor? That's someone who doesn't know how to use a slide rule. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking