Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default APT Multi-tool usefull for???

A few years ago I inadvertanly bought an APT multi-tool see link:
http://www.nolansupply.com/bysubcate...lse&specs=True

I did a lot of proxy bids at auction previews since I could not skip
out on m day job to hang out at an auction for 3/4 of a day. I
transposed a couple of numbers and became the proud older of a set as
shown in the link. In another link the description mentioned:
"The Multi-Tool system from APT is the only inexpensive method of
large diameter hole production (up to 3 inches) on light duty, low
horsepower equipment.
Some examples are Bridgeport milling machines, lathes, 1-horsepower
drill presses and portable magnetic drills. You can also spot face,
counterbore or, with simple blade modification, produce special hole
configurations with multi-diameters."

I am trying to figure out if I should keep it or cut my losses on
eBay. As a hobby metal hack, low horsepower is right up my alley. My
lathe tailstock is #3 MT but I typically use a boring bar for holes
over 1 inch in dia.

Your thoughts? TIA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 26, 12:00*pm, wrote:
A few years ago I inadvertanly bought an APT multi-tool see link:http://www.nolansupply.com/bysubcate...utting+Tools&s...

[...]

I've seen this thing in some Colvin and Stanley shop kinks books,
circa WWII. Thought it was home-built tooling done in a railway
shop. They were using it for spot-facing really big castings for
bolting down to a boring mill or planer, don't remember which. Used a
mag-base drill for power.

The key is the inserts, those can be made a whole lot cheaper than a
regular countersink or spotfacing tool, a pilot can be added for
following an existing bore and, the big thing at the time, you didn't
need a precision mill to drive it. I really didn't catch on to what
your link was until I saw the tops of the inserts in the picture. You
can grind them to whatever profile you want. Can cut on the bottom or
the sides or both at once, like for counterboring. If you need to do
what it does, it's great, otherwise it's locker ballast. You probably
won't see another one. I can see uses for it for ironworkers,
shipbuilders, millwrights and the like, not a whole lot of use in the
home shop unless you need to bolt big iron together. Not too many
folks machine up multi-ton castings in their basements.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stan:

Thanks for the reply. Since it has been "locker ballast" (actually
sitting at the far right hand end of the lathe chip tray with other
things stacked above it) for about 5 years, its off to eBay to try to
get something for it.

On Aug 27, 2:05*am, wrote:
On Aug 26, 12:00*pm, wrote:

A few years ago I inadvertanly bought an APT multi-tool see link:http://www.nolansupply.com/bysubcate...utting+Tools&s...

I did a lot of proxy bids at auction previews since I could not skip
out on my day job to hang out at an auction for 3/4 of a day. *I
transposed a couple of numbers and became the proud owner of a set as
[...]

Stan- Hide quoted text -

HF Multi-tool Lobby Dosser[_3_] Woodworking 0 July 11th 10 03:09 AM
Multi-tool Mk. I DGDevin Woodworking 3 January 30th 10 09:18 PM
Tip for Bosch PMF Multi Tool The Medway Handyman UK diy 23 September 27th 08 03:35 PM
Multi-tool Recommendations? Wanderer UK diy 5 November 3rd 04 12:28 AM
Emrick multi use tool Steven Raphael Woodturning 0 September 29th 04 02:23 PM