Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to make a scroll?

"Scroll" as in the decorative curlicue element in a "wrought iron"
fence. I need to replace (match) 2 missing ones. I have a loose one to
use as a pattern.

They will be made of 3/16" x 1/2" mild steel. The largest diameter is
6" & there are about 1-1/2 turns. After a 1/2 turn the diameter
decreases by 1/2 (is that a standard for scrolls?).

Should I heat them? (I have a propane foundry burner that I can cobble
into a forge.) If so, how hot?

Will I need forms to bend against? If so, is there a rule of thumb for
the spring back to account for (hot, cold)?

Any tips about stuff that I don't even know enough to ask about?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 25, 6:58*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
"Scroll" as in the decorative curlicue element in a "wrought iron"
fence. *I need to replace (match) 2 missing ones. *I have a loose one to
use as a pattern.

They will be made of 3/16" x 1/2" mild steel. *The largest diameter is
6" & there are about 1-1/2 turns. *After a 1/2 turn the diameter
decreases by 1/2 (is that a standard for scrolls?).

Should I heat them? *(I have a propane foundry burner that I can cobble
into a forge.) *If so, how hot?

Will I need forms to bend against? *If so, is there a rule of thumb for
the spring back to account for (hot, cold)?

Any tips about stuff that I don't even know enough to ask about?

Thanks,
Bob

This is for making scrolls on the HF Compact Bender:
http://www.harborfreight.com/scroll-...ent-36621.html

I'd cold bend the curves somewhat tight and open short sections up to
match the original with a rubber hammer on an anvil.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 18:58:09 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

"Scroll" as in the decorative curlicue element in a "wrought iron"
fence. I need to replace (match) 2 missing ones. I have a loose one to
use as a pattern.

They will be made of 3/16" x 1/2" mild steel. The largest diameter is
6" & there are about 1-1/2 turns. After a 1/2 turn the diameter
decreases by 1/2 (is that a standard for scrolls?).

Should I heat them? (I have a propane foundry burner that I can cobble
into a forge.) If so, how hot?

Will I need forms to bend against? If so, is there a rule of thumb for
the spring back to account for (hot, cold)?

Any tips about stuff that I don't even know enough to ask about?

A bending fork:
http://tinyurl.com/2u3j3jq

Unless the beginning is a tight radius or forged to a taper you should
be able to do it all cold.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
"Scroll" as in the decorative curlicue element in a "wrought iron" fence.
I need to replace (match) 2 missing ones. I have a loose one to use as a
pattern.

They will be made of 3/16" x 1/2" mild steel. The largest diameter is 6"
& there are about 1-1/2 turns. After a 1/2 turn the diameter decreases by
1/2 (is that a standard for scrolls?).

Should I heat them? (I have a propane foundry burner that I can cobble
into a forge.) If so, how hot?

Will I need forms to bend against? If so, is there a rule of thumb for
the spring back to account for (hot, cold)?

Any tips about stuff that I don't even know enough to ask about?

Thanks,
Bob

Let me look in my shop. I believe I have a scroll bender that said scrolls
would take about 4 minutes to make. The max thickness they can do is 1/8".

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

WOW, that archive from popular science brought back memories.
Back in the late 40's as a barefoot teenagers on bicycles my friends
and I were able to go to the local chemical supply house and buy
whatever we could afford.
We bought nitric acid, hydroflouric acic, bromine, phosphourus,
sodium, potassiuum chlorate, potassium dichromate, potassium nitrate
and other goodies.
The good old days are gone.
Engineman

wrote:
"Scroll" as in the decorative curlicue element in a "wrought iron"
fence. *I need to replace (match) 2 missing ones. *I have a loose one to
use as a pattern.

They will be made of 3/16" x 1/2" mild steel. *The largest diameter is
6" & there are about 1-1/2 turns. *After a 1/2 turn the diameter
decreases by 1/2 (is that a standard for scrolls?).

Should I heat them? *(I have a propane foundry burner that I can cobble
into a forge.) *If so, how hot?

Will I need forms to bend against? *If so, is there a rule of thumb for
the spring back to account for (hot, cold)?

Any tips about stuff that I don't even know enough to ask about?

A bending fork:http://tinyurl.com/2u3j3jq

Unless the beginning is a tight radius or forged to a taper you should
be able to do it all cold.

--
Ned Simmons- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Scroll" as in the decorative curlicue element in a "wrought iron"
fence. I need to replace (match) 2 missing ones. I have a loose one to
use as a pattern.

They will be made of 3/16" x 1/2" mild steel. The largest diameter is
6" & there are about 1-1/2 turns. After a 1/2 turn the diameter
decreases by 1/2 (is that a standard for scrolls?).

Should I heat them? (I have a propane foundry burner that I can cobble
into a forge.) If so, how hot?

Will I need forms to bend against? If so, is there a rule of thumb for
the spring back to account for (hot, cold)?

Any tips about stuff that I don't even know enough to ask about?

A bending fork:
http://tinyurl.com/2u3j3jq

Unless the beginning is a tight radius or forged to a taper you should
be able to do it all cold.

I especially appreciated the "Fun with Quicksilver" article in the PS
mag link you gave us, Ned. Try that today!

P.S: Students in suits & ties with vests were a treat, too. I love
having all this info available online.

--
Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins
when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
This is for making scrolls on the HF Compact Bender:
http://www.harborfreight.com/scroll-...ent-36621.html

The idea of getting a new tool-toy is not to be scoffed at, but I'm only
making 2 of these.

I'd cold bend the curves somewhat tight and open short sections up to
match the original with a rubber hammer on an anvil.

The stock is really too stiff for that, even if I had a anvil.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:
A bending fork:
http://tinyurl.com/2u3j3jq

Thanks - I didn't do it their way, but knowing the term "bending fork"
got me to a bunch of sites. I eventually made a fork with 2, 1/2" pegs
set 3/16" apart in a 3/4" sq rod. And a similar bending wrench with a
2' handle.

Unless the beginning is a tight radius or forged to a taper you should
be able to do it all cold.

I was able to do most of it cold, but did use an OA torch on the tight
curves. If I had it to do over, I would set up a propane forge - it
bends SO much more easily hot.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
This is for making scrolls on the HF Compact Bender:
http://www.harborfreight.com/scroll-...ent-36621.html

The idea of getting a new tool-toy is not to be scoffed at, but I'm only
making 2 of these.

I'd cold bend the curves somewhat tight and open short sections up to
match the original with a rubber hammer on an anvil.

The stock is really too stiff for that, even if I had a anvil.

Thanks,
Bob

You must be using 3/16" stock, right? The 1/8" bends with the HF bender.
It makes you wonder how the ones you have were made. Either with a strong
machine, or by a talented ironworker.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:
A bending fork:
http://tinyurl.com/2u3j3jq

Thanks - I didn't do it their way, but knowing the term "bending fork" got
me to a bunch of sites. I eventually made a fork with 2, 1/2" pegs set
3/16" apart in a 3/4" sq rod. And a similar bending wrench with a 2'
handle.

Unless the beginning is a tight radius or forged to a taper you should
be able to do it all cold.

I was able to do most of it cold, but did use an OA torch on the tight
curves. If I had it to do over, I would set up a propane forge - it bends
SO much more easily hot.

Thanks,
Bob

I have used a bending fork when making "pictures" within a frame for a
ornamental metal gate. You lay out your drawing, or just free form it, and
bend it as you go along. Most of the stuff is very gradual bends, so it is
very easy. The hard part was to get everything flat, so eventually, I got a
4' square piece of plate, and drilled and tapped some holes where I could
move the two bolts around for convenience. As you say, one of those propane
burners make things go a lot faster, you just have to be careful.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
You must be using 3/16" stock, right? The 1/8" bends with the HF bender.
It makes you wonder how the ones you have were made. Either with a strong
machine, or by a talented ironworker.

Mine are 3/16 and there's a huge difference in bending force compared to
1/8. I practiced on 1/8, 'cause I didn't have any 3/16 to spare, and
was surprised when I tried to do the 3/16.

The ones that I'm matching were factory made & there they can bend anything.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
This is for making scrolls on the HF Compact Bender:
http://www.harborfreight.com/scroll-...ent-36621.html

The idea of getting a new tool-toy is not to be scoffed at, but I'm only
making 2 of these.

I'd cold bend the curves somewhat tight and open short sections up to
match the original with a rubber hammer on an anvil.

The stock is really too stiff for that, even if I had a anvil.

Thanks,
Bob

You must be using 3/16" stock, right? The 1/8" bends with the HF bender.
It makes you wonder how the ones you have were made. Either with a strong
machine, or by a talented ironworker.

Or a blacksmith?
If you heat it, you can bend the stuff fairly easily.

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
You must be using 3/16" stock, right? The 1/8" bends with the HF bender.
It makes you wonder how the ones you have were made. Either with a
strong machine, or by a talented ironworker.

Mine are 3/16 and there's a huge difference in bending force compared to
1/8. I practiced on 1/8, 'cause I didn't have any 3/16 to spare, and was
surprised when I tried to do the 3/16.

The ones that I'm matching were factory made & there they can bend
anything.

Bob

I have seen the 3/16" and even thicker done on machines. It's spendy. And
I have seen some very nice ones done in a hand forge.

Steve

read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at:
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Or a blacksmith?
If you heat it, you can bend the stuff fairly easily.

Bending it is simple. Getting the final piece to look like what you want it
to look like is the hard part.

Steve

read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at:
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
You must be using 3/16" stock, right? *The 1/8" bends with the HF bender.
It makes you wonder how the ones you have were made. *Either with a
strong machine, or by a talented ironworker.

Mine are 3/16 and there's a huge difference in bending force compared to
1/8. *I practiced on 1/8, 'cause I didn't have any 3/16 to spare, and was
surprised when I tried to do the 3/16.

The ones that I'm matching were factory made & there they can bend
anything.

Bob

I have seen the 3/16" and even thicker done on machines. *It's spendy. *And
I have seen some very nice ones done in a hand forge.

Steve

read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at:http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Apparently this:
http://www.hossfeldbender.com/bender...r-standard.php
used to be the standard for bending stuff. My dad used to rave about
what they did with one at the sulky plant, they had all the dies.
Probably our auction-enabled guys can turn one up for 50 cents
somewhere in somebody's back room, with all the dies, too.

Stan