Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default M-25 Belt slipping in drill press

I was doing some drilling with my drill press yesterday, using an MT2 shank
25/32" bit @ 300RPM (and plenty of cutting fluid). It was just for
experimenting, as I have never used a bit that large before, and wanted to
see how my new press would handle it.

Everything went well, except that the front (idler pulley to spindle pulley)
v-belt (size M-25) would slip the idler pulley (spindle would stop) if I
applied too much pressure. This meant that I had to peck at it, which isn't
what I am looking to do.

So, as this is a used press, I considered getting a new belt, but it is hard
locating an M-25 belt, especially locally, and even online (couldn't find
one at mcmaster carr) From what I can tell, the M refers to the large width
being 10mm, and the 25 refers to a 25" circumference. Would a 3/8" (9.52mm)
belt work in this application?

What I would like is a belt that was less prone to slipping when I drill
large-ish holes (13/16" is the size I will be doing a lot of in the near
future). Would a cogged belt be a good solution for this? Any other
less-slippy belt suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 09:55:31 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

What I would like is a belt that was less prone to slipping when I drill
large-ish holes (13/16" is the size I will be doing a lot of in the near
future). Would a cogged belt be a good solution for this? Any other
less-slippy belt suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

M-25; Z-25 or 3/8-25 All nominally the same section AFAIR

Have you tried just tightening it a bit more?

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 20, 9:55*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
[...]

First try to clean the belt.May have years of oil and dirt on it.
Perhaps IPA, ispropal alcohol, get at any drug store. Check for glazed
spots where the belt has slipped a lot and particularly clean there.
Other possibility is the belt may be old and stiff and has a spot with
a permanent curved hard spot. That may mean a new belt. Also clean the
pullies.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Was the hole drilled trough already to allow the web to pass ?

I work up on drills - not every size but plenty. If important
I might use number, fraction, letter, metric and do a fine cut
at the last.

Remember the center of the drill mostly pushes with a turn.
the outside has the surface length to turn. Without a center hole
the center of the drill has to cut or mush out to be cut the core
as wide as the web diameter.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 6/20/2010 11:55 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What Martin sez. It never ceases to amaze me people that take numerous passes in a lathe seem to
expect a drill of any size to cut cleanly and efficiently in one big thrust. It takes a finite
amount of power to remove a given amount of metal whether it be in one pass or many passes. A twist
drill is a poor cutting tool compared to a lathe bit.

Bob (call me a pecker) Swinney
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-21, Robert Swinney wrote:
What Martin sez. It never ceases to amaze me people that take numerous passes in a lathe seem to
expect a drill of any size to cut cleanly and efficiently in one big thrust. It takes a finite
amount of power to remove a given amount of metal whether it be in one pass or many passes. A twist
drill is a poor cutting tool compared to a lathe bit.

Bob (call me a pecker) Swinney
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Was the hole drilled trough already to allow the web to pass ?

I work up on drills - not every size but plenty. If important
I might use number, fraction, letter, metric and do a fine cut
at the last.

Remember the center of the drill mostly pushes with a turn.
the outside has the surface length to turn. Without a center hole
the center of the drill has to cut or mush out to be cut the core
as wide as the web diameter.

If you have a split point drill bit, you have a lot less force
needed, because it cuts right to the center. (Not as efficiently near
the center, but enough to make a big difference in performance.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote
Was the hole drilled trough already to allow the web to pass ?

I work up on drills - not every size but plenty. If important
I might use number, fraction, letter, metric and do a fine cut
at the last.

Aye, I always at least use a spotting bit the diameter of the web. In thic
case, there was actually a full through hole, 7/16" in diameter.

Remember the center of the drill mostly pushes with a turn.
the outside has the surface length to turn. Without a center hole
the center of the drill has to cut or mush out to be cut the core
as wide as the web diameter.

If you have a split point drill bit, you have a lot less force
needed, because it cuts right to the center. (Not as efficiently near
the center, but enough to make a big difference in performance.

Aye, thanks Don. The Silver/Demming bit I will be using for my 13/16" holes
is indeed a split point.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default M-25 Belt slipping in drill press (followup)

Jon Danniken wrote:
[...]

I tied getting an M-25 belt, but nobody in town carried one. I ended up
getting a Gates belt from Napa in 3/8" instead (3L250).

Although I was concerned that it wouldn't be wide enough, it was actually
wider than the supposedly "M" belt that I had on there before, actually
measuring about 10mm. The sides of the new belt are nice and grippy, and I
don't think I'm going to be having any more problems with that belt
slipping.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Jon Danniken, Liz Cady wrote:
jonSPAMMENOTdanniken wrote:

I tied getting an M-25 belt, but nobody in town carried one. I ended up
getting a Gates belt from Napa in 3/8" instead (3L250).
Although I was concerned that it wouldn't be wide enough, it was actually
wider than the supposedly "M" belt that I had on there before, actually
measuring about 10mm. The sides of the new belt are nice and grippy, and

don't think I'm going to be having any more problems with that belt
slipping.
Jon

My husband has been searching for an M-25 with no luck. He'll take your
suggestion
of 3L250 Napa belt. But yet another problem - do you know the size of the
other belt
required for the Mark 1 drill press? The old one disintegrated, so no way
to measure.
The drill press model # is C-114FX - spindle mount #2.

Liz

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ss-244627-.htm