Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Unpleasant certain excpected disappointment with Bridgeport

The service woman got back to me and said

``This is a machine that was built exclusively in the UK. They are not
supported in the U.S. and we can not get any manuals. However, there
is a possibility that we can get some of the parts. So if there is a
specific part you need, and you either have a part number or can take
a picture of the part you need, I might be able to help you out.''

This is a disappointment, and, in a way, I am not surprised at all.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9 Apr, 15:52, Ignoramus21954
wrote:
The service woman got back to me and said

``This is a machine that was built exclusively in the UK. They are not
supported in the U.S. and we can not get any manuals.

Which model Interact is it and what model Heidenhain control?

Mark.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus21954 wrote:
The service woman got back to me and said

``This is a machine that was built exclusively in the UK. They are not
supported in the U.S. and we can not get any manuals. However, there
is a possibility that we can get some of the parts. So if there is a
specific part you need, and you either have a part number or can take
a picture of the part you need, I might be able to help you out.''

This is a disappointment, and, in a way, I am not surprised at all.

I think the real deal here is these were not officially made by
Bridgeport, itself, but on contract with their British distributor.
There may have been a bit of a turf war over it, too, as there is no
doubt whatsoever that Interacts were sold in the US in substantial
numbers, to people who specifically wanted a servo-controlled machine.

If you have manuals on the Heidenhain control, that is the really tough
part. The rest of it is pretty simple industrial control stuff, and you
won't be keeping a lot of that if you do the retrofit. Does your
control info cover the servo amps? That may be the most important info
to have. If Bridgeport can't supply it, I think there must be others
that have the info.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus21954 fired this volley in
:

This is a disappointment, and, in a way, I am not surprised at all.

otoh... When I bought my R2E4 machine, I called them for some assistance in
moving it. I was directed _directly_ to the cell-phone number of an old
factory hand who was responsible for moving the machines, and he gave me
the full run-down as to where, how, and WHY to sling the machine the way I
should.

My gut is that they love all their old iron, and want to help all they can.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus21954 wrote:
The service woman got back to me and said

``This is a machine that was built exclusively in the UK. They are not
supported in the U.S. and we can not get any manuals. However, there
is a possibility that we can get some of the parts. So if there is a
specific part you need, and you either have a part number or can take
a picture of the part you need, I might be able to help you out.''

This is a disappointment, and, in a way, I am not surprised at all.

I mentioned that a while ago. The fuse holders are definitely used and
manufactured in Great Britain indicating that it was manufactured there.
Bridgeport made a lot of stuff in England.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus21954 wrote:
[...]

I have a customer with one of them. The only big problem he had was
losing the battery and the parameters. He did have a mechanical problem
with the variable speed mechanical drive bushings but electronically it
has worked fine for at least 6 years. I could check with him and see
what manuals he has and if he would let me copy them.

John

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-10, John wrote:
Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus21954 wrote:
[...]

John, I have some manuals (operating), but I could pay for the ones I
do not have. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-10, wrote:
Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus21954 wrote:
[...]

I will call him Monday and see what he has/

John