OT plumbing together two 20 lb. propane tanks?

Old January 4th 10, 07:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT plumbing together two 20 lb. propane tanks?

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 01:29:42 -0600, "William Wixon"
wrote:

is this possible? plumbing together two 20 lb. propane tanks? i've got a
propane heater in my workshop, it draws too much propane for one 20 lb.
tank, freezes the propane. i was wondering if i plumbed two together if i'd
be able to get enough gas to run the heater. is this stupid? do people do
this? was wondering if they were plumbed together should it be before or
after the regulator(s)? wondering if that's even possible, to have two
separate regulators on two separate tanks running one heater. i don't want
to get a larger tank, i've collected about 6 - 20 lb. tanks, i don't want to
have to buy or rent a larger tank. (100 lb.?) i usually use propane for
quick heat, warm up the shop until i get the wood stove fired up and making
heat, then i turn off the propane heater so i'm not running propane
continuously, maybe 1/2 hour.

b.w.

Manifolding multiple small tanks should work OK. I'd do it upstream
of the regulator. Tanks manifolded together would then be similar to
a larger tank. Boil rates in each tank would be similar because
they're at equal pressure, so the boil rate in each of two 20-lb tanks
would be half that of a 40-lb tank serving the same demand, and so on.
A problem with manifolding downstream of regulators is that the
regulators would need to be set to the exact same pressure. If they
weren't, the highest pressure reg would dominate until the tank
feeding it freezes enough so it can't meet delivery pressure setpoint.

Old January 4th 10, 01:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 4, 12:29*am, "William Wixon" wrote:
[...]

They do it all the time on travel trailers, although it's usually used
1 tank at a time. I've seen dual 100 lb tanks done that way, too.
Usually done with compression fittings and flexible copper AFTER the
regulators, two ends and a "T". The deal is that 100 lb tanks still
can have the old-style valve, the OPD on the smaller tanks can
restrict gas flow if you look at it funny. 100 lbs and larger is
deemed "industrial" for some reason, guess they figure idiots won't be
screwing up hooking them up to grills. They weren't that expensive
last I looked, a new 100 lb. empty could be had for maybe $80-100.
Just get a hand truck for running the empty back for filling.

Stan
Old January 4th 10, 01:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 4, 7:28*am, Don Foreman wrote:

Manifolding multiple small tanks should work OK. *I'd do it upstream
of the regulator. *Tanks manifolded together would then be similar to
a larger tank. Boil rates in each tank would be similar because
they're at equal pressure, so the boil rate in each of two 20-lb tanks
would be half that of a 40-lb tank serving the same demand, and so on.
A problem with manifolding downstream of regulators is that the
regulators would need to be set to the exact same pressure. If they
weren't, the highest pressure reg would dominate until the tank
feeding it freezes enough so it can't meet delivery pressure setpoint.

I agree with Don, but would add that upstream of the regulators is
high pressure. So you want to manifold with plumbing that will not
rupture or leak. You could manifold after the regulators. And just
use one tank at a time. Open valve on tank A and light heater. After
about 15 minutes open valve on tank B and then close valve on tank A.
( I am assuming that a tank does not freeze up in less than 15
minutes. ) That would only take a few seconds, much better than
having to shut off the heat , change tanks and restart the heater.

Dan

Old January 4th 10, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There has to be some way to use the heat from the heater, to
warm the propane tank. Can you put a reflector a couple
inches in front of the infared, and send some of that heat
towards the tank?

I had a similar moment, using a 16 ounce tank to heat a room
where I was working. I tried using a propane torch to heat
the camping tank. Worked some what. If you try that, heat
low on the tank, so you're heating the liquid. Try not to
cook the label. Move the flame around slowly.

Water has a very high heat energy content. Maybe the first
thing to do, is to heat a pan of water good and hot, and
then pour or drip it onto the propane tank.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

news is this possible? plumbing together two 20 lb. propane

Old January 4th 10, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Sure thing. Make sure you use the new yellow Teflon tape. Include
a quarter-turn valve on each feed line so you can swap tanks without
destroying the ability to have some heat while doing it.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Currently broke and
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : looking for a job...
Old January 4th 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:
[...]

Maybe the sort of thing you need is shown here
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/064.asp if available in the US , the page
has automatic and manual versions.
Old January 5th 10, 12:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Our camping trailer is set up with a tee valve ahead of the regulator ,
flip the lever towards the tank you want to draw from . It'd be just as easy
to just use a plain brass tee ... The cutoff point for OPD valves is
considerably lower than 100 Lb tanks , I've got a non-OPD 40 pounder that
I've had no trouble filling . I just tell 'em it's for my foundry furnace -
which it is during cold spells for the same reason the OP wants to manifold
his tanks .

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Old January 5th 10, 04:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Go to a travel trailer place. They will sell you a manifold that
switches on-line a full before the depleted one goes. Shows you what
is going on.

It allows you to replace an empty bottle on-the-fly.
Not really needed...

Martin