Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default hydro test pump

We need to do some simple hydrotesting of some new design refrigerant
piping and similar. The new refrigerants run up to 500 psi under certain
conditions, we would like to to 4x testing for safety ie 2000psi. This
is on the design side, looking for the obvious failures, will have the
whole thing tested by a lab when we are done.

At a previous place I worked we had a simple hand pump with a pressure
gage. It looked like a heavy duty grease gun with a pressure gage on it.
Any suppliers for such things these days? I could do the same thing
with a porta power hand pump but using oil is such a mess to clean out
of the pipes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 14:18:13 -0600, RoyJ
wrote:

We need to do some simple hydrotesting of some new design refrigerant
piping and similar. The new refrigerants run up to 500 psi under certain
conditions, we would like to to 4x testing for safety ie 2000psi. This
is on the design side, looking for the obvious failures, will have the
whole thing tested by a lab when we are done.

At a previous place I worked we had a simple hand pump with a pressure
gage. It looked like a heavy duty grease gun with a pressure gage on it.
Any suppliers for such things these days? I could do the same thing
with a porta power hand pump but using oil is such a mess to clean out
of the pipes.

I test some stuff in a small tank. I fill the tank with water, and
then attach a hydraulic hose from the pump on my press. Very little
oil gets in the tank. I would think you could do the same except add a
longer water-filled line, which should keep your parts clean.

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that RoyJ fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Thu, 14 Jan 2010 14:18:13 -0600:

At a previous place I worked we had a simple hand pump with a pressure
gage. It looked like a heavy duty grease gun with a pressure gage on it.
Any suppliers for such things these days? I could do the same thing
with a porta power hand pump but using oil is such a mess to clean out
of the pipes.

McMasterCarr has these. About $200-$300 IIRC.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

4229K5
Hand-Powered Hydrostatic Test Pump Bench Mount, 2000 Max PSI
$624.41 Each. Usually ships within 2 weeks.

A bit more than I was hoping to pay but not out of the question.

Thanks.

dan wrote:
What's that Lassie? You say that RoyJ fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Thu, 14 Jan 2010 14:18:13 -0600:

At a previous place I worked we had a simple hand pump with a pressure
gage. It looked like a heavy duty grease gun with a pressure gage on it.
Any suppliers for such things these days? I could do the same thing
with a porta power hand pump but using oil is such a mess to clean out
of the pipes.

McMasterCarr has these. About $200-$300 IIRC.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that RoyJ fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:44:56 -0600:

dan wrote:
At a previous place I worked we had a simple hand pump with a pressure
gage. It looked like a heavy duty grease gun with a pressure gage on it.
Any suppliers for such things these days? I could do the same thing
with a porta power hand pump but using oil is such a mess to clean out
of the pipes.

McMasterCarr has these. About $200-$300 IIRC.

4229K5
Hand-Powered Hydrostatic Test Pump Bench Mount, 2000 Max PSI
$624.41 Each. Usually ships within 2 weeks.

A bit more than I was hoping to pay but not out of the question.

I swear I saw one for less than that. Keep looking around. When I
was thinking of getting one I was looking through a lot of catalogs.
Sorry I can't remember which one.

I ended up modifying a grease gun. a cheap harbor freight air powered
one. It would go up to 1200psi in my application, but I think a
better quality one could go higher.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

a bit further down the page:

4160K16 Hand-Powered Hydrostatic Test Pump Channel Mounted, 6000 Max PSI
In stock at $362.10 Each