Removing Lead Solder From Gold Coin (2nd try)

Old August 6th 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe

Default Removing Lead Solder From Gold Coin (2nd try)

(I tried posting this last night from home, but was probably stymied
by the fact that I have changed my system date to prevent W7 from
crashing. Apologies if this is a repeat.)

On another list I read (about coining), someone asked if it is
possible to remove some lead solder from a gold coin. I thought of
using an acid that would dissolve the tin and lead, but what would
that be? Also, would any such acid leach out the alloying metal from
the gold, and would that change the color of the coin?

The coin is a 2 1/2 dollar US piece, in otherwise good condition, so
abrasive removal would probably not be a good option.

I'm not involved in this, but it seems to be an interesting problem,
and if anyone has a workable solution, I'll be glad to pass it on
(with attribution) to the OP.

Thanks,
Joe

Old August 6th 09, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How about asking a jeweler?

Old August 6th 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 08:51:34 -0400, Joe wrote:

(I tried posting this last night from home, but was probably stymied
by the fact that I have changed my system date to prevent W7 from
crashing. Apologies if this is a repeat.)

On another list I read (about coining), someone asked if it is
possible to remove some lead solder from a gold coin. I thought of
using an acid that would dissolve the tin and lead, but what would
that be? Also, would any such acid leach out the alloying metal from
the gold, and would that change the color of the coin?

The coin is a 2 1/2 dollar US piece, in otherwise good condition, so
abrasive removal would probably not be a good option.

I'm not involved in this, but it seems to be an interesting problem,
and if anyone has a workable solution, I'll be glad to pass it on
(with attribution) to the OP.

A quick bit of looking on the web suggests that

a) quarter-eagles are 90% gold / 10% copper; and

b) tin-lead solder can be removed from copper with a solution of 33gm
acetic acid and 50 gm hydrogen peroxide in 1 litre of water; and

c) acetic acid WITHOUT any nitric acid will not dissolve gold

so what I'd do, if minded to do this on my own, would be to remove as much
solder as possible with heating and wiping/wicking, then make an
appropriate solution and watch it. Remember that common white vinegar is
only 5% actice acid, so you'll have to do a bit of extra maths.
Old August 6th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 6, 7:51*am, Joe wrote:
(I tried posting this last night from home, but was probably stymied
by the fact that I have changed my system date to prevent W7 from
crashing. Apologies if this is a repeat.)

On another list I read (about coining), someone asked if it is
possible to remove some lead solder from a gold coin. I thought of
using an acid that would dissolve the tin and lead, but what would
that be? Also, would any such acid leach out the alloying metal from
the gold, and would that change the color of the coin?

The coin is a 2 1/2 dollar US piece, in otherwise good condition, so
abrasive removal would probably not be a good option.

I'm not involved in this, but it seems to be an interesting problem,
and if anyone has a workable solution, I'll be glad to pass it on
(with attribution) to the OP.

Thanks,
Joe

Seems like metallic mercury will remove the lead and not the gold.
Years ago, as a kid I used to play with mercury. It removed the lead
from the solder at the joint where the ring I wore had been resized.
Old August 6th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 6, 10:57*am, Gerry wrote:
On Aug 6, 7:51*am, Joe wrote:

[...]

Oh, forgot to mention that mercury was used for years to remove lead
from firearm barrels after shooting soft lead bullets. Used to keep a
bottle in my shop for this purpose.
Old August 6th 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 08:57:38 -0700 (PDT), Gerry wrote:

On Aug 6, 7:51*am, Joe wrote:
[...]

Mercury dissolves gold.

If you had a ring that had lead solder joining it the rest of it probably
was not gold.
Old October 13th 12, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

responding to
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ry-193323-.htm
, hony wrote:
Hiii friends...

Best way to remove lead solder from Gold...

http://www.crockogold.co.uk/leadsolderremoval.htm

Thank you,

Old October 13th 12, 09:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/13/2012 1:18 PM, hony wrote:
Best way to remove lead solder from Gold...

http://www.crockogold.co.uk/leadsolderremoval.htm

That doesn't have anything about how to remove solder.
Old October 14th 12, 07:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 10/13/2012 1:18 PM, hony wrote:
Best way to remove lead solder from Gold...

http://www.crockogold.co.uk/leadsolderremoval.htm

That doesn't have anything about how to remove solder.

Just that they fixed something that was not destroyed but just had a bit
of solder on it.