Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill press switch query

Actual metalworking content...

Was drilling a hole with my ElCheapo brand floor model drill press and
the red plastic of the rocker switch popped out, never to be seen
again. Unscrewed the panel to the switch and lo-and-behold, there are
*four* wires connected (via spade connectors) to this switch, not two.
Two wires are red and are fastened to the same female spade connector.
One is black and if my voltmeter knows what it's talking about, it's
the hot wire. The fourth wire is black and is not hot when the
machine is plugged in.

My plan *was* to replace the switch with an ordinary 15A wall switch
but that doesn't sound like a good idea anymore. Help, please?

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry wrote:
Actual metalworking content...

Was drilling a hole with my ElCheapo brand floor model drill press and
the red plastic of the rocker switch popped out, never to be seen
again. Unscrewed the panel to the switch and lo-and-behold, there are
*four* wires connected (via spade connectors) to this switch, not two.
Two wires are red and are fastened to the same female spade connector.
One is black and if my voltmeter knows what it's talking about, it's
the hot wire. The fourth wire is black and is not hot when the
machine is plugged in.

My plan *was* to replace the switch with an ordinary 15A wall switch
but that doesn't sound like a good idea anymore. Help, please?

Best -- Terry

Try unplugging the cord and removing the remainder of the switch.

Wrap electrical tape around the spade connector with the two red wires
on it to insulate it.

Connect the two black wires together and plug in the cord. If the motor
runs, then you can unplug it, disconnect the two black wires and route
them through that 15A wall switch you mentioned.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:29:06 -0500, Terry wrote:

Actual metalworking content...

Was drilling a hole with my ElCheapo brand floor model drill press and
the red plastic of the rocker switch popped out, never to be seen
again. Unscrewed the panel to the switch and lo-and-behold, there are
*four* wires connected (via spade connectors) to this switch, not two.
Two wires are red and are fastened to the same female spade connector.
One is black and if my voltmeter knows what it's talking about, it's
the hot wire. The fourth wire is black and is not hot when the
machine is plugged in.

My plan *was* to replace the switch with an ordinary 15A wall switch
but that doesn't sound like a good idea anymore. Help, please?

What was under the red plastic? Could you just glob some RTV on
the rocker, to simulate plastic?

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 17:55:00 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

Terry wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jeff! That did it. I'm still wondering about the red wires,
though. One appears to be the neutral from the plug, the other
appears to be the neutral to the motor. It makes sense that they're
connected to one another, of course, but what (in the switch) would
they be connected *to*?

Not that it matters. I'm drilling again. No worries.

Thanks again -- Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 27, 2:29*pm, Terry wrote:
Actual metalworking content...

Was drilling a hole with my ElCheapo brand floor model drill press and
the red plastic of the rocker switch popped out, never to be seen
again. *Unscrewed the panel to the switch and lo-and-behold, there are
*four* wires connected (via spade connectors) to this switch, not two.
Two wires are red and are fastened to the same female spade connector.
One is black and if my voltmeter knows what it's talking about, it's
the hot wire. *The fourth wire is black and is not hot when the
machine is plugged in.

My plan *was* to replace the switch with an ordinary 15A wall switch
but that doesn't sound like a good idea anymore. *Help, please?

Best -- Terry

OK. Best guess:
The two black are the hot incoming and the motor.

The two red are the cold/neutral and are 'looped' at the switch
terminal which has no connection - it's the equivalent of a wire nut /
marrette.

HIH.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

N Morrison wrote:

The two red are the cold/neutral and are 'looped' at the switch
terminal which has no connection - it's the equivalent of a wire nut /
marrette.

Or, even more simply, a double pole (DPST) switch. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks Jeff! That did it. I'm still wondering about the red wires,
though. One appears to be the neutral from the plug, the other
appears to be the neutral to the motor. It makes sense that they're
connected to one another, of course, but what (in the switch) would
they be connected *to*?

Was the original switch lighted when on? If so, the light would need the
neutral.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

wrote:

Terry wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Terry wrote:

[...]

Did the original switch by any chance have a bulb or LED in it which lit
when the motor was turned on? That would require that the neutral be
available there.

That's just a WAG. other than that I can't think of why those wires
would be needed at the switch. An autopsy of the switch body might
reveal something, but to me the essence of pragmatism has always been
expressed as, "If it works, use it and stop worrying about it."

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My plan *was* to replace the switch with an ordinary 15A wall switch
but that doesn't sound like a good idea anymore. Help, please?

Seems irrelevant at this point, but make and model?
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:29:06 -0500, the renowned Terry
wrote:

Actual metalworking content...

Was drilling a hole with my ElCheapo brand floor model drill press and
the red plastic of the rocker switch popped out, never to be seen
again. Unscrewed the panel to the switch and lo-and-behold, there are
*four* wires connected (via spade connectors) to this switch, not two.
Two wires are red and are fastened to the same female spade connector.
One is black and if my voltmeter knows what it's talking about, it's
the hot wire. The fourth wire is black and is not hot when the
machine is plugged in.

My plan *was* to replace the switch with an ordinary 15A wall switch
but that doesn't sound like a good idea anymore. Help, please?

Best -- Terry

Probably the two red wires are the neutral and a DPST switch (requird
for switching two hot lines for overseas safety agency approvals) has
one side just used as a tie point. Is there an unconnected spade on
the switch, beside the two red wires?

So you should be able to put your new switch between the two black
wires and just leave the red wires tied to each other (and nowhere
else).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Terry wrote:
[...]

I think it's just a tie point (an unused pole of the switch). They
need to buy mostly DPST switches anyway for their domestic market and
the Euro market, so they probably wouldn't bother saving a couple of
pennies by sourcing a SPST switch just for US/Canada if they can put
the unused spade to some use. ;-)

Not that it matters. I'm drilling again. No worries.

Excellent.

Thanks again -- Terry

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry wrote:

Actual metalworking content...

Was drilling a hole with my ElCheapo brand floor model drill press and
the red plastic of the rocker switch popped out, never to be seen
again. Unscrewed the panel to the switch and lo-and-behold, there are
*four* wires connected (via spade connectors) to this switch, not two.
Two wires are red and are fastened to the same female spade connector.
One is black and if my voltmeter knows what it's talking about, it's
the hot wire. The fourth wire is black and is not hot when the
machine is plugged in.

My plan *was* to replace the switch with an ordinary 15A wall switch
but that doesn't sound like a good idea anymore. Help, please?

How about a foot switch?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96619

A must-have for hands-free operation of table routers, scroll saws,
drill presses, lathes, and rotary tools. Effortless installation: plug
the foot switch into a grounded outlet, then plug the machine into the
foot switch.

Easy to operate. Hand or foot use. Momentary snap-action design -- press
to turn on and maintain power, step off to turn off. Includes 7 ft. 5"
power cord

110V, 15 amps, Overall dimensions: 6-3/8" L x 3-1/2" W x 2-3/4" H
Weight: 1.2 lbs.

ITEM 96619-2VGA $9.99

Here is the manual.

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/96000-96999/96619.pdf

I use a similar footswitch on my drill press. There are separate
switches for the motor and light, so my footswitch is hard wired in
series with the motor switch. It is very handy, and if the drill
catches the work, or breaks, its quicker than letting go to turn off the
regular switch. I can take a couple pictures, if anyone wants to see
the modifications.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 22:52:27 -0400, "Keith Marshall"
wrote:

Thanks Jeff! That did it. I'm still wondering about the red wires,
though. One appears to be the neutral from the plug, the other
appears to be the neutral to the motor. It makes sense that they're
connected to one another, of course, but what (in the switch) would
they be connected *to*?

Was the original switch lighted when on? If so, the light would need the
neutral.

Yes it was. That's undoubtedly the answer. I guess both the red
cover and the light bulb (neon?) went flying when I switched it off
for the last time.

Thanks -- Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thanks Jeff! That did it. I'm still wondering about the red wires,
though. One appears to be the neutral from the plug, the other
appears to be the neutral to the motor. It makes sense that they're
connected to one another, of course, but what (in the switch) would
they be connected *to*?

I think it's just a tie point (an unused pole of the switch). They
need to buy mostly DPST switches anyway for their domestic market and
the Euro market, so they probably wouldn't bother saving a couple of
pennies by sourcing a SPST switch just for US/Canada if they can put
the unused spade to some use. ;-)

But since in the US with 110V, you don't know which is neutral and which is
live and with 220V you have two lives, surely all your devices should have DP
switches???

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you have a 3 wire plug with the ground pin, you always know which
wire is hot. (Until someone clips off the ground pin) Late model 2 wire
plugs are normally fitted with a polarized plug (one wide blade, one
narrow blade) so you should know what the polarity is on that one. Easy
enough to defeat.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thanks Jeff! That did it. I'm still wondering about the red wires,
though. One appears to be the neutral from the plug, the other
appears to be the neutral to the motor. It makes sense that they're
connected to one another, of course, but what (in the switch) would
they be connected *to*?

I think it's just a tie point (an unused pole of the switch). They
need to buy mostly DPST switches anyway for their domestic market and
the Euro market, so they probably wouldn't bother saving a couple of
pennies by sourcing a SPST switch just for US/Canada if they can put
the unused spade to some use. ;-)

But since in the US with 110V, you don't know which is neutral and which is
live and with 220V you have two lives, surely all your devices should have DP
switches???

It should have a polarized plug, or a three wire plug. Both only plug
in one way. Also, all that is required is to switch the line, so a SPST
is all that is required.