Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Decent 4.5" angle grinder

My utility trailer's powder coat is flaking off and I was thinking of repainting it. An
angle grinder with a wire brush seemed like the plan for preparing the surfaces.

I don't do a lot of welding at home, my Miller 35S has been borrowed out for 3 years and
any small welding I can do at work. Someday that may change.

So what I'm looking for is an angle grinder that would be decent if welding at home comes
back on my agenda. If I just wanted to strip the frame, the Home Depot Ryobi at 40 bucks
would get the vote.

Some have side switches, other lever deadman types. 5/8" arbors seems to be the common
denominator.

We have a few Dewalt angle grinders that have lived on with the lever type switch, seem a
bit noisy but work.

So, what models that I can find at home depot, menards, or amazon would you recommend? 90
bucks top price. I'm part Dutch. (cheap)

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I still have the cheap 4.5" angle grinder that I bought at Menards 7
years ago. I use it quite a bit, relatively speaking, and it still
runs strong.

Of course, no one guarantees that a current Menards grinder would run
as good.

Angle grinders are easy to build decently, so I would go with any
reputable brand.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
[...]

Wes, I have on Makita angle grinder and 11 (yes eleven) Harbor Freight angle
grinders. The big difference between them is price. I don't pay more than
$ 9.99 for the Harbor Freight grinders when they are on sale. Yes, they are
noisier and might not last as long, but, each one has a different
wheel/attachment and I don't have to change from wire brush to grinding
wheel to cut-off wheel etc. My HF grinders have lasted about 6 years so far
with light hobby use.

BTW, I've talked to professional trades people who also use HF powered hand
tools. They admit that they are not as high a quality as the name brands,
BUT, since so many tools 'walk' off the job the loss isn't as great.
Besides, who would want to steal a HF tool?

My 2 cents,

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus26671" wrote in message
I still have the cheap 4.5" angle grinder that I bought at Menards 7
years ago. I use it quite a bit, relatively speaking, and it still
runs strong.

Of course, no one guarantees that a current Menards grinder would run
as good.

Angle grinders are easy to build decently, so I would go with any
reputable brand.

I just bought these two grinders after I had a rash of Harbor Freight
grinders take a s*it. I use Dewalt grinders for most of my work but these
magnesium case grinders sure are light in comparison. I have used the 7"
quite a bit and the 4.5" just got a thin cut put on it today. They have a 5
year warranty on the 7" and 1 year on the 4.5" and with free shipping how
can you loose?
northerntool.com
Item# 3347815
Item# 143379

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just bought these two grinders after I had a rash of Harbor Freight
grinders take a s*it. I use Dewalt grinders for most of my work but these
magnesium case grinders sure are light in comparison. I have used the 7"
quite a bit and the 4.5" just got a thin cut put on it today. They have a
5 year warranty on the 7" and 1 year on the 4.5" and with free shipping
how can you lose?
northerntool.com
Item# 3347815
Item# 143379

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
[...]

I buy the ORANGE 4.5" HF angle grinders when they go on sale. They seem
to hold up pretty well. I figure that I can drop it just as easy as the
expensive ones. I do pull the angle drive and put in better grease
before using them though.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Wes wrote:

So, what models that I can find at home depot, menards, or amazon would you
recommend? 90
bucks top price.

I've gotten good use from a Hitachi, but the group mind seems to be
trending in a more bottom-feeding direction. It was within $1-11 of your
top price, as best I recall.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 May 2009 23:05:07 GMT, the infamous "Ivan Vegvary"
scrawled the following:

"Wes" wrote in message
My utility trailer's powder coat is flaking off and I was thinking of
repainting it. An
angle grinder with a wire brush seemed like the plan for preparing the
surfaces.

--snip--
[...]

Dittoes on both of Ivan's brands (The Makita is my oldest, quietest,
and prettiest) and the theft bit, if you're working where one might
develop legs, Wes.

For the price/value point, HFs can't be beat.

--
No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up.
--Lily Tomlin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I recently bought a Dewalt lever style with case at Amazon for about
$100, primarily for moderate weld grinding. I have been extremely
happy with it, although I agree that a HF might be alright for light
use as long as you don't mind when it quits. Most of the work is
helping with a 220 lb battlebot, so I need something that's not going
to die in the middle of an event.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes,
First painting over powder coat is almost never successful. Stipping
powdercoat is normally done with an acid bath. (very, very non-green) I am a
collector of premium tools. I never bought cheap tools of any flavour, until
recently and that was 4.5" grinders. I own 6 of these because even the best
fail and it is always inconvenient. Almost all are now made in China at the
wholesale cost of $15 and although they are inferior to the premium brands,
I can and regulary do kill them within their guarantee period. In which
case, I get a new one in exchange. No premium brand grinder will outlive
this case. You do need a freindly retailer though.
Steve

"Wes" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 15, 7:05*pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Wes, I have on Makita angle grinder and 11 (yes eleven) Harbor Freight angle
grinders. *The big difference between them is price. *I don't pay more than
$ 9.99 for the Harbor Freight grinders when they are on sale. *Yes, they are
noisier and might not last as long, but, each one has a different
wheel/attachment and I don't have to change from wire brush to grinding
wheel to cut-off wheel etc. *My HF grinders have lasted about 6 years so far
with light hobby use.

Same here. I use a 7" Dewalt for heavy stock removal and a drawerful
of cheapies all set up differently for details. The cheapies heat up
too much for continuous work.

I also have a 30 year old Sears 4-1/2" with a medium grit wheel which
grinds smoother than the 7" and is easier to control, it's the one I
rough out lathe bits with. Since the 7" does all the heavy work an HF
could do the finishing instead. If I could have only one good grinder
it would be a 7". I paid ~$120 for the Dewalt and it has been worth it
in time saved.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
[...]

Dewalt has worked well for me. Mine came with a case that is actually big
enough to be useful and hold some different wheels, which is a plus.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 May 2009 18:42:47 -0400, Wes wrote:

[...]

I've used a bunch of different types and quality of 4" grinders over
the years. I'm generally a big fan of cheap stuff, especially for
low-use tools. But my angle grinders get used a lot, and the premium
for a good one is relatively little and well worth paying in my
opinion. I have two makitas, one an oldy that's had at least two
bearing and brush replacements, and one switch replacement. The other
is newer, only about 10 years old, and it's the smaller diameter, oval
barrel design. Both are side switch types. The lever switches are
horrible. They make the body bulkier and force you to maintain a
sometimes uncomfortable grip. Homeowners seem to love them though, and
maybe they're no worse if all your work is downhand. They also might
be a good idea for companies with careless employees.

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Lusardi" wrote:

Wes,
First painting over powder coat is almost never successful. Stipping
powdercoat is normally done with an acid bath. (very, very non-green)

Well, rust is doing a fine job of stripping it. A wire brush should finish it off.

I am a
collector of premium tools. I never bought cheap tools of any flavour, until
recently and that was 4.5" grinders. I own 6 of these because even the best
fail and it is always inconvenient. Almost all are now made in China at the
wholesale cost of $15 and although they are inferior to the premium brands,
I can and regulary do kill them within their guarantee period. In which
case, I get a new one in exchange. No premium brand grinder will outlive
this case. You do need a freindly retailer though.
Steve

I'm fairly sure a Dewalt will last me forever given my usage patterns. I'm going to low
ball it and buy the harbor freight one.

If it dies, the Makita or Dewalt will get the nod. The job 7 or so years ago had a makita
and it was pretty good, the current job uses the Dewalt and that one has held up.

Somehow my set of rolling head prys walked away on me at work over the years so I'm buying
two sets of these at the same times. One set is useless, two sets are awesome for prying
things out of holes. I keep two sets at home, they serve me well.

I'll try cheap first, I noticed while visiting Home Depot that everything was produced
there except for maybe Bosch and Makita. I don't feel like I'm selling out my country on
this one.

Thanks
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

I buy the ORANGE 4.5" HF angle grinders when they go on sale. They seem
to hold up pretty well. I figure that I can drop it just as easy as the
expensive ones. I do pull the angle drive and put in better grease
before using them though.

What kind of grease? I have some Kluber NBU15 that might be overkill.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"Steve W." wrote:

I buy the ORANGE 4.5" HF angle grinders when they go on sale. They seem
to hold up pretty well. I figure that I can drop it just as easy as the
expensive ones. I do pull the angle drive and put in better grease
before using them though.

What kind of grease? I have some Kluber NBU15 that might be overkill.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

I use JT-6 Synthetic. The stuff that comes out usually looks about like
plain petroleum jelly! The better grease quiets them down and seems to
cut the heat production from the gearbox a LOT.

Stay away from the blue housing grinders. One of the local mowing places
buys 4.5s by the case. They tried the blue ones and the heat build-up
was melting the brush housings out of them.
The orange ones seem to be a different plastic and the gear-case is
different as well.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 May 2009 23:05:07 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
[...]

I agree. Ive got about 6 of the Orange/Silver HF 4.5" grinders. Ive
not had one fail yet..and the oldest is about 4 yrs old..with
considerable about of use.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates