Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sandblaster 100 feet from compressor

I came across a smallish sized Trinco sandblaster today (24 inch
wide with front door only), with dust collector.

I am considering putting it into a shed, which is roughly 100 feet
(100 ft hose run) from the compressor. Maybe it is a little more than
100 feet.

My question is, if I run air at higher pressure like 120-140 PSI, and
drop it near the blaster to 60-80 PSI, would I be able to get away
with 3/8" ID hose, or is that not sufficient.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32252 wrote:

I came across a smallish sized Trinco sandblaster today (24 inch
wide with front door only), with dust collector.

I am considering putting it into a shed, which is roughly 100 feet
(100 ft hose run) from the compressor. Maybe it is a little more than
100 feet.

My question is, if I run air at higher pressure like 120-140 PSI, and
drop it near the blaster to 60-80 PSI, would I be able to get away
with 3/8" ID hose, or is that not sufficient.

Perhaps run full compressor pressure (175?) out there to an accumulator
tank (sure you can scrounge something) then regulate off that tank to
your final pressure. Should do the job since I don't expect you'll be
doing very long durations of blasting without stopping to reposition
parts, etc.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32252" wrote in message
I came across a smallish sized Trinco sandblaster today (24 inch
wide with front door only), with dust collector.

I am considering putting it into a shed, which is roughly 100 feet
(100 ft hose run) from the compressor. Maybe it is a little more than
100 feet.

My question is, if I run air at higher pressure like 120-140 PSI, and
drop it near the blaster to 60-80 PSI, would I be able to get away
with 3/8" ID hose, or is that not sufficient.

no way. if I had to run 100 feet, I'd use at least 3/4 inch galvanized -
pipe is cheap, and the long run will help cool the air

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sandblasters are air hogs. Your pressure drop will be excessive.

You can do a quick test: coil up the 100' of hose on the floor, hook up
the gun only with a pressure gage on a 'T' at the gun(no sand, no
cabinet), see what pressure you get out of it.

I can tell you that something like an air cutoff tool will run fine on
my smaller compressor when I have a 25' hose running from the tank to
the gun, starts then stalls when I run the same rig through 50' of 1/2"
copper tube to the garage.

Ignoramus32252 wrote:
I came across a smallish sized Trinco sandblaster today (24 inch
wide with front door only), with dust collector.

I am considering putting it into a shed, which is roughly 100 feet
(100 ft hose run) from the compressor. Maybe it is a little more than
100 feet.

My question is, if I run air at higher pressure like 120-140 PSI, and
drop it near the blaster to 60-80 PSI, would I be able to get away
with 3/8" ID hose, or is that not sufficient.

Garage height...8 feet or 10 feet? [email protected] Home Repair 40 October 5th 17 10:08 AM
Welding feet to a compressor tank Ignoramus25760 Metalworking 15 October 1st 07 06:43 PM
Sandblaster tomstorey Woodturning 13 August 18th 06 12:30 AM
HF Sandblaster Travis Mahone Metalworking 6 January 19th 06 07:19 PM
Do I need a sandblaster? The Hurdy Gurdy Man Metalworking 13 January 12th 04 03:17 PM