Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Changing a tire at home

I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

Is there a good way I can take this tire off at home and install the
tube and tire without a professional tire changer? I have done it on
the small 4.80 wheels, but nothing this big.

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 4, 8:37*am, stryped wrote:
I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

Is there a good way I can take this tire off at home and install the
tube and tire without a professional tire changer? I have done it on
the small 4.80 wheels, but nothing this big.

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?

Forgot to say - it might be the valve - spit on the valve w/o the cap
(duhh) and see if the are any bubbles - if so get a new valve core.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 05:37:06 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

Is there a good way I can take this tire off at home and install the
tube and tire without a professional tire changer? I have done it on
the small 4.80 wheels, but nothing this big.

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?

I remember as a little kid, watching a guy install a tube. He just
broke the bead, then stuffed the tube into the tire, covered with a
lot of soap solution (to make it slippery). Then he inflated the tube
a little (I think the valve was removed), deflated it, repeated a few
times till the wrinkles were taken out & the tube was settled in
pretty well. Valve was put back, tire was fully inflated, tire was
ready.

I've done the same with smaller wheels, such as wheelbarrows. Works
fine.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 4, 1:37 pm, stryped wrote:

Is there a good way I can take this tire off at home and install the
tube and tire without a professional tire changer? I have done it on
the small 4.80 wheels, but nothing this big.

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?

Not impossible, but it is work. The hard part will be breaking the
bead off the rim. I have done this using a bumper jack with the base
on the tire and the jack trying to lift a car.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 4, 8:37 am, stryped wrote:
I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

Is there a good way I can take this tire off at home and install the
tube and tire without a professional tire changer? I have done it on
the small 4.80 wheels, but nothing this big.

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?

Others have good advise here, if you have a big enough C clamp or vise
that can help in breaking the tire bead loose from the rim, then stuff
in the tube. It may be easier if you break the bead loose on both
sides. I find big tires easier to work on than the little ones. Once
you get both beads loose there is enough room to get your hands in
there, not so with the small tires.

CarlBoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 4, 10:16*am, Carl wrote:
On Feb 4, 8:37 am, stryped wrote:

I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

Is there a good way I can take this tire off at home and install the
tube and tire without a professional tire changer? I have done it on
the small 4.80 wheels, but nothing this big.

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?

Others have good advise here, if you have a big enough C clamp or vise
that can help in breaking the tire bead loose from the rim, then stuff
in the tube. *It may be easier if you break the bead loose on both
sides. *I find big tires easier to work on than the little ones. Once
you get both beads loose there is enough room to get your hands in
there, not so with the small tires.

CarlBoyd

Can I use 2 small blocks on each end of the rubber tire, placed under
my 8n, then jack the rim with my floor jack to remove, then install
the tire if I were to take the whole tire out or would that cause
dammage?

There is room to get a tube with the tire still on the rim?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

This isn't the answer you asked for but have you considered using Slime w/o the tubes?

My 20 year old snowblower's tubeless tires would go flat in about 2 days. I didn't feel
like buying new ones since sears seemed rather proud of theirs.

So I bought a bottle of Slime. It is a tire sealant often used in dirt bikes and such. I
tested it by putting it in the deep freezer for a day and it was still liquid.

I haven't put air in my snow blower tires in about a month. You do have to take your
tires for a trip to coat them. I thought at first this was a failure but after a few
times snow blowing, the air leakage stopped.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

Is there a good way I can take this tire off at home and install the
tube and tire without a professional tire changer? I have done it on
the small 4.80 wheels, but nothing this big.

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?

When I was about twelve, I saw my old man take a two by four to the face
trying to change a tire himself. His top plate went flying, and he was
lucky to not have broken anything major. He was a machinist, a McGiver type
who could do amazing things. When he gathered his senses, he took it to a
garage. I don't even fool with small tires, but take them to the tire
store. If you have an account, of if you have ever bought tires there, it's
usually free. You could do it, or you could have a negative experience.
For me, I just take them and get it for free or cheap.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that stryped fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Wed, 4 Feb 2009 05:37:06 -0800 (PST):

I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

Is there a good way I can take this tire off at home and install the
tube and tire without a professional tire changer? I have done it on
the small 4.80 wheels, but nothing this big.

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?

Quite possible. I did it on a 13in tire without any special tools.
Pull the guts out of the valve stem. I used a long length of 2x4 to
pound the bead off the rim.

And mark the tire so you can re-install it in the same position on the
rim if it is balanced.

--

Dan H.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

Is there a good way I can take this tire off at home and install the
tube and tire without a professional tire changer? I have done it on
the small 4.80 wheels, but nothing this big.

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?

If the tires look good take them to an Les Schawb tire store if you have one
and they will check it for free. Even fix a flat for free. But I would pay
the 10 bucks a tire, last time I paid for a mount, to a tire store and have
them mount the tire. Is worth the money to save the work and agravation.
Other tire stores most likely will check them for free also. They have
water tanks for this.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

Is there a good way I can take this tire off at home and install the
tube and tire without a professional tire changer? I have done it on
the small 4.80 wheels, but nothing this big.

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?

It's not impossible, but a heck of a lot of work.
You need to break the beads - I've done a lot of them with a slide
hammer on the farm and doing "in the feild" equipment repair. I've
done it with a jack under a beam or heavy vehicle. Have done it with a
tractor loader, and by driving over them with a truch.

Then you need a pair of good tire irons to pry the bead off the rim,
and to put it back on after inserting the tube.

Generally a WHOLE LOT smarter to just take them to a tire shop or
general garage and have them done on the tire changer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:56:19 -0500, Wes wrote:

stryped wrote:

I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

This isn't the answer you asked for but have you considered using Slime w/o the tubes?

My 20 year old snowblower's tubeless tires would go flat in about 2 days. I didn't feel
like buying new ones since sears seemed rather proud of theirs.

So I bought a bottle of Slime. It is a tire sealant often used in dirt bikes and such. I
tested it by putting it in the deep freezer for a day and it was still liquid.

I haven't put air in my snow blower tires in about a month. You do have to take your
tires for a trip to coat them. I thought at first this was a failure but after a few
times snow blowing, the air leakage stopped.

Wes

Why in He double el they put tubeless tires on snow blowers and
wheelbarrows, etc., I'll never figure out. After a maximum of five
years you must either do as above or install tubes; so why not
develope customer satisfaction in the first place. Its not like they
are having a heat problem from high speed driving or something.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 20:50:16 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message
I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

Is there a good way I can take this tire off at home and install the
tube and tire without a professional tire changer? I have done it on
the small 4.80 wheels, but nothing this big.

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?

If the tires look good take them to an Les Schawb tire store if you have one
and they will check it for free. Even fix a flat for free. But I would pay
the 10 bucks a tire, last time I paid for a mount, to a tire store and have
them mount the tire. Is worth the money to save the work and agravation.
Other tire stores most likely will check them for free also. They have
water tanks for this.

A spray bottle with soapy water plus a bit of glycerin works for me
most of the time. A bit of extra air helps.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 01:55:58 GMT, (dan) wrote:

What's that Lassie? You say that stryped fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Wed, 4 Feb 2009 05:37:06 -0800 (PST):

I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

Someone has to ask: How old are the tires, and what kind of shape
are they in? If they are 15 years old and weather checked all to
heck, time to go get new tires and save the best old one for a spare.

Because putting a tube in it masks the fact that it's dry-rotting
away and ready to blow. Trust me, that's not fun to deal with,
especially if you are pushing the load limits of the tow vehicle.

Remember: If you go for passenger car or LT (Light Truck) tires
instead of the ST (Special Trailer) tires, you have to add 25% extra
load, usually bumping up two notches on the Load Rating scale from a B
to a D or E. That usually removes the financial advantage of using
passenger or LT tires.

And they will rot out faster - ST tires have extra oxidation
inhibitors in the rubber because trailers sit unused for long periods.

Is there a good way I can take this tire off at home and install the
tube and tire without a professional tire changer? I have done it on
the small 4.80 wheels, but nothing this big.

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?

Quite possible. I did it on a 13in tire without any special tools.
Pull the guts out of the valve stem. I used a long length of 2x4 to
pound the bead off the rim.

Just don't get too vigorous - you don't want to bend or break the
steel wires in the core of the bead, and you don't want to damage the
sidewall of the tire either.

There are several hand bead breakers for motorcycles and ATV's that
you can use. Or just the stomp on one side trick...

After you get the bead seated, deflate the tube to empty one last
time before replacing the core and filling for good, so if the tube is
twisted it can untwist.

And mark the tire so you can re-install it in the same position on the
rim if it is balanced.

Don't worry about the balance too much - the tube is most likely
molded uneven, so it will change the balance point. If you can see or
feel it hopping go get it balanced, otherwise don't bother.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

Why in He double el they put tubeless tires on snow blowers and
wheelbarrows, etc., I'll never figure out. After a maximum of five
years you must either do as above or install tubes; so why not
develope customer satisfaction in the first place. Its not like they
are having a heat problem from high speed driving or something.
Gerry :-)}

Because it is cheap, but I know you knew it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped writes:

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?

I tried the Harbor Freight $50 manual changer on 10-inch tires, and could
not get this to work and felt it was impossible. Bead breaking was OK, but
not getting the beads off the rims. It worked on my 8-inch lawn tractor
tires but barely.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 4, 3:37*am, stryped wrote:
I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

Is there a good way I can take this tire off at home and install the
tube and tire without a professional tire changer? I have done it on
the small 4.80 wheels, but nothing this big.

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?

I used to just put one of those Slime type sealants in for leaks like
that. Never had a problem but probably ****ed of the guy that had to
change the tire.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 5, 4:06*am, " wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:37*am, stryped wrote:

I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

Is there a good way I can take this tire off at home and install the
tube and tire without a professional tire changer? I have done it on
the small 4.80 wheels, but nothing this big.

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?

I used to just put one of those Slime type sealants in for leaks like
that. Never had a problem but probably ****ed of the guy that had to
change the tire.
Karl

Speaking of slime, would it be a good idea to add this to the tube
before installing the tire? The tire "appears" in good shape although
I dont know the age of the tire.

Also, I have been reading alot about "liquid tire balancers". I have
also read that it is possible SLime would work the same way to
"balance" the tire. Is this true?

The trailer is hardly ever used but it is frustrating when I have to
go down in the field to get it and two tires are flat. I got a 4x4
stuck trying to pull it to the house during rainy weather to bring it
to the house to air up the tires.

I already bought the tube but I wish I would have thoguth of the slime
stuff. May have been easier.

I will say I have had good luck with tubes in trailer tires.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not impossible, but it is work. The hard part will be breaking the
bead off the rim. I have done this using a bumper jack with the base
on the tire and the jack trying to lift a car.

Yep, that is standard way for home repair. But, remove the valve guts
first- makes breaking the bead much easier.

Use the heaviest vehicle and a spotter guides you to run over the tire and
just brush the rim. Or, use an arbor press like I do.
Then, dish-soapy water and a pair of tire spoons. We used to change tires on
VWs on the hoist without removing the wheels. backed off the brakes shoes
and static balanced them in place.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Bruce L. Bergman fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Wed, 04 Feb 2009 21:29:30 -0800:

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 01:55:58 GMT, (dan) wrote:

And mark the tire so you can re-install it in the same position on the
rim if it is balanced.

Don't worry about the balance too much - the tube is most likely
molded uneven, so it will change the balance point. If you can see or
feel it hopping go get it balanced, otherwise don't bother.

Oh yah. Forgot he was adding a tube. When I did mine I was just
fixing a bead leak.

--

Dan H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have tubeless on my tractor. I have green slime in those tires.
They stay up now. Lots of sticks and glass.

I figure the tire will be bare before it needs fixing.

Martin

stryped wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I was having trouble breaking the bead on my truck tire once. I ended up
using the front end loader on my backhoe. Don't have a backhoe? I'll sell
you my Case 580B Diesel for only $6,900 obo, you can save a lot on changing
tires :-)

RogerN

"stryped" wrote in message
I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

Is there a good way I can take this tire off at home and install the
tube and tire without a professional tire changer? I have done it on
the small 4.80 wheels, but nothing this big.

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

This isn't the answer you asked for but have you considered using Slime w/o the tubes?

My 20 year old snowblower's tubeless tires would go flat in about 2 days. I didn't feel
like buying new ones since sears seemed rather proud of theirs.

So I bought a bottle of Slime. It is a tire sealant often used in dirt bikes and such. I
tested it by putting it in the deep freezer for a day and it was still liquid.

I haven't put air in my snow blower tires in about a month. You do have to take your
tires for a trip to coat them. I thought at first this was a failure but after a few
times snow blowing, the air leakage stopped.

Wes

Have not had any luch with "slime" and bead leaks myself - YMMV.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 21:29:30 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

[...]

ANd if you are planning on putting passenger tires on a trailer, take
the rims in and DO NOT tell them they are going on a trailer. Don't
know about where you are, but no tire shop up here will install P
rated (or even LT) tires on a trailer _NO WAY.

And just a word of advice - don't waste your money putting P rated
tires on a trailer anyway. Can make an otherwise well behaved trailer
into a towing nightmare - while ST tires can do the exact opposite.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 06:04:25 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

On Feb 5, 4:06Â*am, " wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:37Â*am, stryped wrote:

I have a trailer with 215/70/15 inch tires. Two of the tires
constantly goes flat over a period of about a week. I went to tractor
supply and bought a 14/15 passanger radial tire tube yesterday.

Is there a good way I can take this tire off at home and install the
tube and tire without a professional tire changer? I have done it on
the small 4.80 wheels, but nothing this big.

Ir is this impossible and I am asking for trouble?

I used to just put one of those Slime type sealants in for leaks like
that. Never had a problem but probably ****ed of the guy that had to
change the tire.
Karl

Speaking of slime, would it be a good idea to add this to the tube
before installing the tire? The tire "appears" in good shape although
I dont know the age of the tire.

Not hard to find out. Look at the "dot" stamp on the tire. ALL highway
tires MUST have a DOT number. It's the last 4 digits. Before 2000, it
was a 3 digit code, with, say,121 being either the 12th week of 1971,
1981, or 1991.
Since 2000 they have gone to a 4 digit code, so 5101 would be the
second last week of 2001and 0108 would be the first week of 2008.

Also, I have been reading alot about "liquid tire balancers". I have
also read that it is possible SLime would work the same way to
"balance" the tire. Is this true?

The trailer is hardly ever used but it is frustrating when I have to
go down in the field to get it and two tires are flat. I got a 4x4
stuck trying to pull it to the house during rainy weather to bring it
to the house to air up the tires.

I already bought the tube but I wish I would have thoguth of the slime
stuff. May have been easier.

I will say I have had good luck with tubes in trailer tires.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 21:56:31 -0500, wrote:
On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 21:29:30 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

Big Snip
Remember: If you go for passenger car or LT (Light Truck) tires
instead of the ST (Special Trailer) tires, you have to add 25% extra
load, usually bumping up two notches on the Load Rating scale from a B
to a D or E. That usually removes the financial advantage of using
passenger or LT tires.

Another Big Snip

ANd if you are planning on putting passenger tires on a trailer, take
the rims in and DO NOT tell them they are going on a trailer. Don't
know about where you are, but no tire shop up here will install P
rated (or even LT) tires on a trailer _NO WAY.

And just a word of advice - don't waste your money putting P rated
tires on a trailer anyway. Can make an otherwise well behaved trailer
into a towing nightmare - while ST tires can do the exact opposite.

Well, if you are out in the Sticks and need a tire *now* to get
home, it's safe enough to use LT Tires in a pinch - but you HAVE to go
a lot heavier than the ST tire that the load of the trailer calls for.
You're right, those P-Metric floppy 'soft ride' sidewalls and sticky
'corner like gumballs' tread will have that trailer dancing the Watusi
as you go down the road if it isn't loaded perfectly - especially the
cheap ones. Which is why you go the other direction and use the
12-Ply (Load Range E) or higher truck tires. Something nice and
stiff.

If they flat out won't sell you tires, they're stupid. A true
businessman will always find a way to make the sale, not find excuses
to NOT make one.

Reminds me, I have to call Costco Corporate and see if they are
really in the tire business or not.... They refuse to sell anything
other than passenger car LT tires, as well as refusing to service
older cars or any other vehicles *or* loose rims that could be put on
them.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:

Speaking of slime, would it be a good idea to add this to the tube
before installing the tire? The tire "appears" in good shape although
I dont know the age of the tire.

Also, I have been reading alot about "liquid tire balancers". I have
also read that it is possible SLime would work the same way to
"balance" the tire. Is this true?

The trailer is hardly ever used but it is frustrating when I have to
go down in the field to get it and two tires are flat. I got a 4x4
stuck trying to pull it to the house during rainy weather to bring it
to the house to air up the tires.

I already bought the tube but I wish I would have thoguth of the slime
stuff. May have been easier.

I will say I have had good luck with tubes in trailer tires.

I bought a tube last summer for a yard trailer that had a "Slime" goo
already added, so I guess you could add it in advance. Half of one,
six dozen of the other...

Back in the 80s, I used some liquid balancing goo in my Panhead, and
it worked very well indeed. It also (allegedly) worked to stop leaks,
like Slime. However, each spring, after sitting all winter long, the
wheels would be out of balance, and it required a few minutes driving
at highway speeds to restore the balance (similar to the procedure
after I first added the stuff). I haven't seen any for sale recently,
though. I've not heard that Slime will do that, but it's possible.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 22:38:21 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 21:56:31 -0500, wrote:
On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 21:29:30 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

Big Snip
[...]

Costco is NOT in the service business - regardless what they say.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

A lot of the old "liquid ballancer" solutions were full of asbestos
fibre - so THOSE will be off the market.

The tire came off my B.S. Lowell Holmes Woodworking 7 February 16th 08 05:11 PM
Changing a riding lawn mower tire Bummer Home Repair 4 July 19th 06 10:28 PM
OT changing a tire on a stretch limo mm Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 05:25 AM
OT.. flat tire. Robatoy Woodworking 0 February 17th 05 06:14 AM
Your changing tax life: Owning a home Ablang Home Ownership 0 February 9th 04 01:59 AM