Using a "bigfoot" (large dia wheel) dolly/handtruck

Old November 6th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Using a "bigfoot" (large dia wheel) dolly/handtruck

I own a generic handtruck/dolly with 10 inch dia pneumatic wheels.
The primary use of the dolly is to move appliances (not enough use to
justify getting a real $$ appliance dolly). My dolly is 22 inch wide
(from outside edge of tire to tire) and I am concerned about stability
when moving things such as fridges tipping over. I have decided to
split the hand truck and widen it about 6 inches and at the same time
increase the depth of the base plate. Before I do this work, I
thought maybe I should buy a “Bigfoot” dolly with 13 in. dia wheels.
Does anyone have experience with this type of a dolly – Harbor Freight
frequently has these on sale for about $40. Will this dolly with the
larger dia wheels go up steps easier. I would still end up splitting
and widening the bigfoot dolly since it also is only 22 inches wide.
Old November 6th 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Does anyone have experience with this type of a dolly – Harbor Freight
frequently has these on sale for about $40. Will this dolly with the
larger dia wheels go up steps easier. I would still end up splitting
and widening the bigfoot dolly since it also is only 22 inches wide.

We have four of these. My biggest issue is the tires go flat often. Second
issue is they get lost constantly. We need four just to keep one put away.
otherwise they are great for moving stuff.

To go up stairs, you need two operators. The bottom guy is the strong one,
he lifts. The top guy pulls back balances and holds the gain. Then repeat.
Don't get your tire so big that it won't just sit on a step.

Karl

Old November 6th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a similar one, nothing wrong with them, tires need to be pumped
often. When I looked, I found the harbor Freight one to be wimpy and
instead bought a stronger one (USA made) from McMaster-Carr. The price
difference was not much.

On 2008-11-06, Karl Townsend wrote:

Does anyone have experience with this type of a dolly – Harbor Freight
frequently has these on sale for about $40. Will this dolly with the
larger dia wheels go up steps easier. I would still end up splitting
and widening the bigfoot dolly since it also is only 22 inches wide.

We have four of these. My biggest issue is the tires go flat often. Second
issue is they get lost constantly. We need four just to keep one put away.
otherwise they are great for moving stuff.

To go up stairs, you need two operators. The bottom guy is the strong one,
he lifts. The top guy pulls back balances and holds the gain. Then repeat.
Don't get your tire so big that it won't just sit on a step.

Karl

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Old November 6th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 6, 9:04*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
We have four of these. My biggest issue is the tires go flat often.

I've got one, and while it's a pain when the tires are flat, it's
trivial to pump them back up. It is embarrasing to show up with one
flat tire!

And the inflated tires make a world of difference in moving over mud.
I first truly appreciated this during a rainy spring in British
Columbia :-).

I got mine like ten years ago and it is still going strong.

Second issue is they get lost constantly.

Isn't that like the Yogi Berra-ism "nobody goes there anymore, it's
too crowded"? If it's getting lost constantly, that means it's the one
that everybody uses!

Tim.
Old November 6th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 05:38:42 -0800 (PST), the infamous
scrawled the following:

I own a generic handtruck/dolly with 10 inch dia pneumatic wheels.
The primary use of the dolly is to move appliances (not enough use to
justify getting a real $$ appliance dolly). My dolly is 22 inch wide
(from outside edge of tire to tire) and I am concerned about stability
when moving things such as fridges tipping over. I have decided to
split the hand truck and widen it about 6 inches and at the same time
increase the depth of the base plate. Before I do this work, I
thought maybe I should buy a “Bigfoot” dolly with 13 in. dia wheels.
Does anyone have experience with this type of a dolly – Harbor Freight
frequently has these on sale for about $40. Will this dolly with the
larger dia wheels go up steps easier. I would still end up splitting
and widening the bigfoot dolly since it also is only 22 inches wide.

I own the 10-incher, too, and adore it. The one time I used the
larger one, it was even easier to work. You won't even know when you
ride up over a curb or small steps. g

The 13" wheels are on sale for $10 each now, and 13.5-inchers are $13.
search www.harborfreight.com for ' 13" tire '.

Go for it.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Old November 6th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

i have the one with 10" wheels, and yes, they tend to go flat frequently.
however, they ride over the desert sand pretty well and goes over small
rocks without noticing them. don't know how they are for standard stairs,
but they do go up short curbs well.

i did bend the bottom of it moving a 300 lb boulder, so don't take their
load maximum very seriously.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Old November 6th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I own a generic handtruck/dolly ...

You are talking about a "hand truck". A "dolly" is a platform with casters.
Old November 9th 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"charlie" wrote:

i have the one with 10" wheels, and yes, they tend to go flat frequently.
however, they ride over the desert sand pretty well and goes over small
rocks without noticing them. don't know how they are for standard stairs,
but they do go up short curbs well.

Anyone try putting Slime in the tires?

Wes
Old November 10th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:41:40 -0500, Wes
wrote:

"charlie" wrote:

i have the one with 10" wheels, and yes, they tend to go flat frequently.
however, they ride over the desert sand pretty well and goes over small
rocks without noticing them. don't know how they are for standard stairs,
but they do go up short curbs well.

Anyone try putting Slime in the tires?

Wes

I have one of those cheap wagons with similar wheels.
Suppose to be good for 1000 lbs or something, snort! Anyway,
tightening up the valve cores did wonders to slow down the
leakage. Only have to air them up a couple times per year
now.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Old November 11th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

Anyone try putting Slime in the tires?

Wes

I have one of those cheap wagons with similar wheels.
Suppose to be good for 1000 lbs or something, snort! Anyway,
tightening up the valve cores did wonders to slow down the
leakage. Only have to air them up a couple times per year
now.

I put some slime in my 20 year old walk behind snowblower tires. Tubeless and age
cracked. I'm hoping it helps. So far, leaks down fast but I haven't actually made a pass
down the 200 foot driveway. That should coat them well if nothing more.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller