Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What abrasive wheels for lathe bit grinding

What do you use to grind lathe bits (carbide ends or HSS) and is 1/3
HP grinder enough. thanks

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy,

1/3 Hp is fine.. this is all about finesse not brute strength...

HSS or cobalt, grind on any wheel you have...

Carbide, "green wheel", best done with a water drip too.

Truely... toss all that stuff and get some T*** holders, you'll be happy you
did.

--.- Dave

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 19, 1:12*pm, Ignoramus2031
wrote:
What do you use to grind lathe bits (carbide ends or HSS) and is 1/3
HP grinder enough. thanks

--
* *Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
* * * to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
* * * *from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
* * * * *more readers you will need to find a different means of
* * * * * * * * * * * *posting on Usenet.
* * * * * * * * * *http://improve-usenet.org/

try 60 grit I hardness aluminum oxide for steel and about the same
grit and hardness in silicon carbide for tungstun carbide
you might be able to bum some half worn wheels off someone with a
surface grinder for coffee and donuts
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2031 wrote:

What do you use to grind lathe bits (carbide ends or HSS) and is 1/3
HP grinder enough. thanks

It is enough.

Green wheels will grind carbide but I sure don't like the looks of result. A diamond
wheel is SOOOO much better. DO NOT USE FOR STEEL.

Steel, aluminum oxide. I tried to grind HSS using the green wheels on my Harbor Fright
tool grinder, sloooow.

The way you shop auctions, I expect to see you with a baldor tool grinder you got for a
song.

Sure wish Harrold would come back to the group.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2031 wrote:

What do you use to grind lathe bits (carbide ends or HSS) and is 1/3
HP grinder enough. thanks

HSS lathe tooling you can grind with almost any wheel. Carbid tooling
requires a green wheel for roughing and a diamond wheel to finish the
edge. If you don't finish the edge your surface finishes will be
rougher than they would be with a diamond finished tool. You can also
get a diamond file to finish the edge. On some HSS tooling for special
jobs I use a dremel grinder since I have more control with it.

A 1/3 hp motor is plenty for tool grinding.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-19, Dave August wrote:
Iggy,

1/3 Hp is fine.. this is all about finesse not brute strength...

HSS or cobalt, grind on any wheel you have...

Carbide, "green wheel", best done with a water drip too.

Truely... toss all that stuff and get some T*** holders, you'll be happy you
did.

Dave, I actually followed your advice and bought a BXA style holder
from Enco. It arrived a few days ago.

Today, I machined the supplied oversize "nut" to fit into the slot on
my lathe. Everything fits very well. The holder seems to be extremelly
well thought out and seems to work great so far.

I am very happy and want to thank you. I have a few lathe bits that
fit, hss and carbide ended, but a lot of them need regrinding.

Also, I have a lot of 3/4" lathe tooling, all brand name (kennametal
and carboloy), and it does not fit the BXA holder. I think that I will
mill that stuff down to 5/8" square.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-19, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus2031 wrote:

What do you use to grind lathe bits (carbide ends or HSS) and is 1/3
HP grinder enough. thanks

It is enough.

Green wheels will grind carbide but I sure don't like the looks of result. A diamond
wheel is SOOOO much better. DO NOT USE FOR STEEL.

Steel, aluminum oxide. I tried to grind HSS using the green wheels on my Harbor Fright
tool grinder, sloooow.

The way you shop auctions, I expect to see you with a baldor tool grinder you got for a
song.

Sure wish Harrold would come back to the group.

Wes, I come across baldor tool grinders all the time and sold a few
already. Another one will come up one day. That all should not be a
problem. For now, I will mount a diamond wheel on a regular bench
grinder, it will save some space and should be OK.

But here's where I am confused: a lot of lathe bits with carbide ends,
have carbide brazed to steel shanks. Can I grind that with a diamond
grinder or not? Steel will definitely be ground along with carbide.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John, thanks. I think that I will set up a dedicated grinder for lathe
bits. 1/3 HP. One wheel will be green and another, diamond.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-19, Wes wrote:

Ignoramus2031 wrote:

[...]

You do not want the HSS blank to be ground on the diamond wheel. the
way I have always done it with brazed carbide tooling is to rough grind
the HSS relief then rough grind the carbide to the approximate shape
putting enough relief on the carbid to be able to finish only the top
half of the edge of the carbide without touching the HSS with the
diamond wheel. Remember not to heat the carbide up too much or the
braze will melt. Same goes for when you are cutting.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For anyone that hasn't read the hundreds(?) of worthwhile past discussions
concerning abrasives for sharpening cutting tools, consider yourself cheated
by your own neglect.

Harold V and others have given all the advice that any HSM would likely ever
need to know, on the subject of sharpening, resharpening or grinding of
cutting tools (and the proper use and care of abrasive wheels).

But how could one ever find that info now, I wonder.

Goog Advanced Search
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/

Anyone who chooses not to read the real metalworking threads in this NG is
wasting opportunity.

I suspect that every news reader has a feature to save messages, and this
would be an excellent way to build a reference library of useful
information, but only if one chooses to use that feature.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Ignoramus2031" wrote in message
What do you use to grind lathe bits (carbide ends or HSS) and is 1/3
HP grinder enough. thanks

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:49:35 -0400, Wes wrote:

Sure wish Harrold would come back to the group.

He may still be lurking. Our ISP has a broken usenet feed and when he
posts I'm about the only one who can see them. (I'm posting through
another server)
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-19, Ignoramus2031 wrote:

[ ... ]

Also, I have a lot of 3/4" lathe tooling, all brand name (kennametal
and carboloy), and it does not fit the BXA holder. I think that I will
mill that stuff down to 5/8" square.

I've done this (3/4" to 5/8"), and I have one significant
suggestion:

Mill off the *bottom* of the shank, not the top. The height of
the cutting tip of an index is about level with the top of the shank,
and if you mill off the top of the shank the cutting tip may not lower
enough to match the center height of the lathe. There is a limit to the
adjustment range on a quick-change toolpost.

I used a wide conventional milling cutter in a horizontal mill,
not the end of a vertical, which may burn on the rather tough steel of
the shank if you aren't careful.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-19, William Bagwell wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:49:35 -0400, Wes wrote:

Sure wish Harrold would come back to the group.

He may still be lurking. Our ISP has a broken usenet feed and when he
posts I'm about the only one who can see them. (I'm posting through
another server)

Pass on to him the suggestion that newsguy could be worth the
cost to give reliable news service. A lot of the big ISPs are totally
dropping news servers -- afraid of being considered responsible for
child porn occasionally posted in the alt.binaries.* newsgroups. :-(

I can't exchange e-mail with him either, based on past
experience.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Truely... toss all that stuff and get some T*** holders, you'll be happy
you did.

Don't toss it! I love the insert-type tool i use, but occasionally I want a
really smooth surface on Aluminum, a special shape, or need different relief
angles for copper or plastics.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:08:23 -0500, Ignoramus2031
wrote:

But here's where I am confused: a lot of lathe bits with carbide ends,
have carbide brazed to steel shanks. Can I grind that with a diamond
grinder or not? Steel will definitely be ground along with carbide.

============
If you have both white and green or diamond rocks mounted why not
grind as much steel out of the way that you can with the white
rock and then grind the carbide with the green rock or diamond.
Unless you really over run the tool you should be able to get
several "touch ups" on the carbide before you have to grind more
iron. A belt sander with AlOx belt will work well to remove the
excess steel under the carbide insert.

Good tip in "Machine Shop Trade Secrets" is to use a left tool as
a right and a right tool for as a left by rotating 90 degrees. I
have not used this much but it seems to work well giving extra
support to the carbide.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy,

Check to make sure the shank isn't hardened...

Long ago before I bought any holders, I was given a 3/4, which was WAY too
big for my old import lathe..
I was gonna "mill" it down but before I tried ,I took a file to it....
skipped like a stone on water... shank was hardened..

I had a friend that had a tool post grinder and he "spun and ground" it for
me...

--.- Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Saddly DoN ATT (aka SbcGlobal.. aka PacBell) dropped all the
alt.binaries.* last week, for the reason you just mentioned, pluss pressure
from RIAA,MPAA for too muct pirated copyrighte work posted..

****ed me off royaly... there goes a.b.pictures.stereo where I was a BIG
contributor... and a.b.pictures.aviation.. and several other a.b.* places I
hung out on...

Also sadly nntp.aieo.org dosen't carry any of those.. :-((((

And yeah I'm too cheap to go get a giga.news account just for those groups..

--.- Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-19, William Bagwell wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:49:35 -0400, Wes wrote:

Sure wish Harrold would come back to the group.

He may still be lurking. Our ISP has a broken usenet feed and when he
posts I'm about the only one who can see them. (I'm posting through
another server)

Pass on to him the suggestion that newsguy could be worth the
cost to give reliable news service. A lot of the big ISPs are totally
dropping news servers -- afraid of being considered responsible for
child porn occasionally posted in the alt.binaries.* newsgroups. :-(

If Harold does not pop up in a few days, I will send a heads up that
r.c.m has been asking about him. Not sure Newsguy would be at the top of
my recommend list though. They were my very first NSP way back when, but
they irritated me with their sickly sweet yet totally fake politeness.
Still plenty of free text only servers at the moment.

I can't exchange e-mail with him either, based on past
experience.

It could happen. TDS once blacklisted one of Earthlinks mail servers in
the Atlanta data center. My own brother could not reliably email me
until I set up a special address just for him on another domain.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:56:32 -0400, Me, Myself & I wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:49:35 -0400, Wes wrote:

Sure wish Harrold would come back to the group.

He may still be lurking. Our ISP has a broken usenet feed and when he
posts I'm about the only one who can see them. (I'm posting through
another server)

Update: Harold is still lurking and Wes should check his mail.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-20, Dave August wrote:
Saddly DoN ATT (aka SbcGlobal.. aka PacBell) dropped all the
alt.binaries.* last week, for the reason you just mentioned, pluss pressure
from RIAA,MPAA for too muct pirated copyrighte work posted..

****ed me off royaly... there goes a.b.pictures.stereo where I was a BIG
contributor... and a.b.pictures.aviation.. and several other a.b.* places I
hung out on...

Also sadly nntp.aieo.org dosen't carry any of those.. :-((((

And yeah I'm too cheap to go get a giga.news account just for those groups..

How much does Giganews charge?

Newsguy charges (among other prices) $9.95/Month for a download
limit of 9GB/Month (back when I joined -- it keeps growing over time,
and I naver get close to the download limit so it keeps accumulating).
Or , you can go $99.50 per year (so you get two months free by the
monthly pricing) -- or there are various other ones with other limits if
you need more.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2031 wrote:

What do you use to grind lathe bits (carbide ends or HSS) and is 1/3
HP grinder enough. thanks

This is from Harold via my anti spam account. I don't check it often but saw it today.

I am unable to post to RCM, thanks to my moronic ISP, who doesn't get the
picture that, somehow, posts that appear on their server are not being
forwarded to the news group. No amount of complaining, not only by me, but
by others, has made any difference to them. Things went south about March
of this year and have not improved. I still read when I have time, but not
on a regular basis.

These guys desperately need to read some information on tool grinding. All
too much BS is being promoted.

Some time ago I posted (on the Chaski board) several threads revolving
around grinding HSS, chip breakers, wheel selections and grinders in
general. The posts were very extensive----and contain information that
could benefit even seasoned machinists.

I was contacted by a party that suggested I post them in a common place for
others to download. Not wanting to appear as a know-it-all----I suggested
that it likely wouldn't appear to be the wise thing to do, but if he wanted
to do it, he had my permission. I don't consider anything I'm willing to
post as being anything worthy of protection, and it should be available for
anyone that has confidence in my opinion. As a result, he compiled all of
the posts, which are now available for download free of charge.

I'm going to provide links to the Chaski board that lead to the three
threads, and I'll also provide the link that leads to the compiled posts for
those that might want to download everything as a unit. Feel free to post
the information on RCM---or even to copy this and post it directly if you
feel it's worthwhile to do so.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/...=asc&sta rt=0
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/...ic.php?t=75969
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/...ic.php?t=76065
http://www.savefile.com/files/915454Best

regards,Harold

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Ignoramus2031 wrote:

[...]

Harold, that last link 404'd on me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:51:54 -0500, RB wrote:

Wes wrote:
Ignoramus2031 wrote:

[...]

It did on me until I removed "best"
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

It did on me until I removed "best"
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I bet his ending comment didn't wrap. Sorry about that.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Bagwell wrote:

Update: Harold is still lurking and Wes should check his mail.

That is my antispam account. I should give Harold a better email address to send comments
to relay. I'll do that now.

Wes