Treadmill motor wiring diagram, anyone???

Old May 10th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Treadmill motor wiring diagram, anyone???

Hi,

The motor on my HF 4 x 36 belt sander went belly up after only about 6
or 8 years. Sheesh. I contacted HF for a new one and it is going to be
40-bucks plus shipping and 12 to 15 week wait. sigh

I was scrounging around under the benches and found one of the
Treadmill motors and controllers that Surplus Center used to sell.

Problem is I have a bunch of wires hanging out of the motor and no
idea who goes where.

I checked the dropbox and there is a schematic for the controller but
nothing for the wires to the motor.

Can anyone please help me with how to wire this up.

Thanks guys.

Dave
Old May 10th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"bunch of wires"??? how many? does the motor have brushes? does it have a
magnet?

harbor freight motor went "belly up" - symptoms? usually it's a capacitor
or dust making the start switch inop - did you check these things? it is
much easier to fix than replace

Old May 10th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Most treadmill motors are DC and have 4 wires.
The 2 blue ones are the over temp breaker.
The other 2 are connected to the brushes.
Usually the connections are in series to prevent burning out the motor.
Art

Old May 10th 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

First, you should determine what type of motor was used on the belt sander
(AC or DC), and any other info that you can find out about the motor,
especially if it was an AC induction motor.

You should determine what type of treadmill motor you have. The ones I got
from SC were 90 volt permanent magnet DC motors with a left-hand thread on
the end of the shaft (close to 1/2-13? LH thread).

You wouldn't want to try to connect a DC motor where there was an AC motor.
If the original motor wasn't a DC motor of the same voltage and speed, a DC
treadmill motor will require a DC drive, to drive and control the DC motor.

I don't have a HF belt sander, but I would expect the motor to be a low
quality Chinese AC motor (one of four types of AC motor.. ordinary AC
induction motor, a universal/brush-type motor, a split-phase AC motor, or
permanent split capacitor AC motor).

If the original motor is one of the AC motors that I just mentioned, a DC
motor is not much good to you without a DC drive.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

Old May 10th 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi William,

Yup, I checked and it is not actually the motor. Being an older one it
did not have a start-cap but a delay relay in conjunction with the
switch. It is the switch and relay that have burned up. The motor still
runs but in any direction it feels like it. Not good for a sander. grin

HF don't have the switch and relay either as they have no manual and I
have no manual and thus no part number for it.

I can't just add a cap to the motor as there is no centrifugal switch.

OK, the wires are not quit th bunch I thought. After cutting some cable
ties it turns out I have...

Black and Yellow going to the field windings.
Blue and Brown going to the tach windings
Each of the brushes have spade terminals on them and no wires as yet.

Dave
Old May 10th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Art,

It is in the 1998 retired folder. There are some other formats too.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...s/treadmot.pdf

You might like to check my reply to William which includes...

Old May 10th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply.

The original motor was AC with a delay relay instead of start cap.
Therefore I cannot simply use a start cap as there is no centrifugal
switch in the motor. The AC motor runs fine, but I have to hand start it
to give it direction.

I'd also challenge the "cheap" statement as this thing has done 1000s of
hours work and had the switch-relay not fried I am sure it would do many
more 1000s as the motor runs smooth, cool and quiet.

The Treadmill motor that SC had gazillions of came with it's own
controller. I assumed people that were familiar with the treadmill motor
from SC would know what I am talking about. Sorry, I should have been
more specific.

The schematic in the drop box that I mentioned is for the GE controller.
I have both the GE controller and the GE DC treadmill motor. This motor
has a 5/8" shaft about 1-1/2" long and keyed 3/16" I think. It us rated
at 2hp, but given it's size and max current draw, I am guessing closer
to 3/4hp.

It is not a permanent magnet DC motor as it has windings.

Perhaps see my reply posts to William and Art as well.

Dave

Old May 11th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Motor quality varies a lot when the country of origin is China. Maybe your
motor was from Taiwan.
Cheap/low quality motors is what China makes for import to the U.S. Their
motors don't need to meet any agency approval levels for safety or quality
like most other motors manufactured globally. The same goes for their other
electrical components.
Generally, the motors have no thermal protection, and the wiring is not
likely to be marked for any temperature rating.

You definitely got your money's worth out of those electrical parts, but the
other gotcha about stuff from China is, that's it's very unlikely that
repair parts will be available. I believe that most of the import
distributors just disassemble whole machines to use for repair parts, to try
to keep their customers happy.
The trouble is, when a design change takes place, an omitted part becomes
unobtainable (no 800 numbers to call in China, I guess).

Quite a few of the more recent motors from China have failed within weeks or
a couple of months from the time of purchase.

I generally keep a few spare quality motors around that I've found at garage
sales or flea markets for $5 to $10. After disassembling them for cleaning
and inspection, I'll test them and put them on a shelf for future use.

You could probably retrofit another AC motor onto your sander if there is
sufficient space. A fractional HP motor made by Dayton, Leeson, Century or
another domestic manufacturer would probably meet your requirements, if you
know what speed the original motor was.

General machine replacement motors won't require the delay relay that the
original motor needed.

For sanders, grinders and other metalworking machines it's always a good
idea to use a sealed motor that will keep the (electrically conductive) dust
and chips out.
Totally enclosed fan cooled (TEFC) motors are ideal.

There are solid-state replacement motor starting devices, for about $40 for
small motors, IIRC, but I don't remember the name of the manufacturer that I
was looking at about a year ago.

I remember seeing some open-frame treadmill motors from Surplus Center, used
to drive small lathes and drill presses. Those might be the type you have.

Old May 11th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 10 May 2008 11:44:54 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Hi,

The motor on my HF 4 x 36 belt sander went belly up after only about 6
or 8 years. Sheesh. I contacted HF for a new one and it is going to be
40-bucks plus shipping and 12 to 15 week wait. sigh

I was scrounging around under the benches and found one of the
Treadmill motors and controllers that Surplus Center used to sell.

Problem is I have a bunch of wires hanging out of the motor and no
idea who goes where.

I checked the dropbox and there is a schematic for the controller but
nothing for the wires to the motor.

Can anyone please help me with how to wire this up.

Thanks guys.

Dave

Geeze, Ive been trying to GIVE away 2.5hp 100vt DC treadmill motors
(NIB) for years. They only have 2 wires.

Still have a stack of about 20 , in the way.

Gunner