Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Small dovetail cutters Source needed.

I want to make some clamps to attach my test indicators to various height
gages, surface gages and other things.

Thinking I was ordering the right thing, I ordered a 3/8 dia shank cutter
with 3/16 in the specs. Well that got me a 3/8 max dia cutter, 3/16 at the
top of the cut. Not what I was looking for.

So who sells tiny dovetail cutters at a reasonable price for cutting a
dovetail for the typical test indicator?

I also didn't do well buying vee blocks. Only one had a notation indicating
it wasn't a set of two, just one. Guess which ONE I bought. ARRRGH

At least I got the right collet and IP65 micrometer. Wes is going digital.
Eyes went blury and arms got short.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
I want to make some clamps to attach my test indicators to various height
gages, surface gages and other things.

Thinking I was ordering the right thing, I ordered a 3/8 dia shank cutter
with 3/16 in the specs. Well that got me a 3/8 max dia cutter, 3/16 at
the
top of the cut. Not what I was looking for.

So who sells tiny dovetail cutters at a reasonable price for cutting a
dovetail for the typical test indicator?

I also didn't do well buying vee blocks. Only one had a notation
indicating
it wasn't a set of two, just one. Guess which ONE I bought. ARRRGH

At least I got the right collet and IP65 micrometer. Wes is going
digital.
Eyes went blury and arms got short.

Wes

Wes,
Harvey Tool makes dovetail cutter starting a 3/32" dia.
www.harveytool.com
Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 May 2008 01:22:28 -0400, "Paul"
wrote:

Wes,
Harvey Tool makes dovetail cutter starting a 3/32" dia.
www.harveytool.com
Paul

Hey Paul,

I don't know why exactly, but I just got a Harvey Tool catalogue in
the mail. WOW!! Really small stuff eh?!?!?

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ps...maybe it came because I registered to go to IMTS 2008. Anybody
else going? As an "International Registrant", registering is free to
me, and I missed 2006, but I'm gonna try this year.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 May 2008 12:40:01 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Thanx Brian. Great information. I ordered a catalog.

Sorry we missed each other at NAMES. Maybe next year, huh?

Bob Swinney

Hey Bob,

For sure. Sorry I missed you too. I did see a few guys, but can't
really recall who now. Geezz, it was a whole month ago!!!

You do know they will always page me if you ask, and I'm fairly quick
(for an old man) to respond if I can.

Most anytime I'm "not doing anything" (which is not a lot), I sort of
power walk around looking at all the stuff exhibitors and vendors
alike have. It always amazes me that over the 4 days that folks are
there, I see something different EVERY time, even on the same table!!

I did get to sit through two seminars this year, one because I gave a
hand setting it up for the fellow that was teaching it (steam), and
the other was Peter Renzetti's "Shop Storage" which was a must for
garbage collectors like me!!! Difference there is he collects GOOD
stuff, and I collect.....GD stuff !!

Take care.

Brian.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:

I did get to sit through two seminars this year, one because I gave a
hand setting it up for the fellow that was teaching it (steam), and
the other was Peter Renzetti's "Shop Storage" which was a must for
garbage collectors like me!!! Difference there is he collects GOOD
stuff, and I collect.....GD stuff !!

Shop storage would have been nice to see. I saw the one on cncing manual
machines and the one on cnc programming.

View a seminar, view exihibits, view a seminar, view exibits. Keeps legs
and butt happy.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul" wrote:

Harvey Tool makes dovetail cutter starting a 3/32" dia.
www.harveytool.com

Thanks for the tip. I'm still choking on the price though. Sure wish I had
a vertical shaper or a BP slotting head.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"Paul" wrote:

Harvey Tool makes dovetail cutter starting a 3/32" dia.
www.harveytool.com

Thanks for the tip. I'm still choking on the price though. Sure wish I had
a vertical shaper or a BP slotting head.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

I used an end mill to make the bulk cut and then finished the dovetail
with a triangular file. Was very easy to do and hold the indicator very
well.
Cheers!
Phil
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Philippe Gravelle wrote:

I used an end mill to make the bulk cut and then finished the dovetail
with a triangular file. Was very easy to do and hold the indicator very
well.
Cheers!
Phil

Given the price of the cutter I would like, I have been thinking that a good
file as you suggested would be the least expensive solution. I will give
that a try.

Thanks,

Wes