Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Harbor freight lathe

One is coming up on a liquidation locally, wanted to hear opinions,
very similar to

This would be for my own use, not resale.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4856 wrote:
One is coming up on a liquidation locally, wanted to hear opinions,
very similar to

This would be for my own use, not resale.

Your URL ref. shows $1999.99. What kind of liquidation price are you getting? That will
definitely be a determining factor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-20, Al Patrick wrote:
Ignoramus4856 wrote:
One is coming up on a liquidation locally, wanted to hear opinions,
very similar to

This would be for my own use, not resale.

Your URL ref. shows $1999.99. What kind of liquidation price are you getting? That will
definitely be a determining factor.

I have no idea what the auction will close for (small factory
bankruptcy closedown). Maybe $100 and maybe $1999, most likely
somewhere in between.

My question is whether it is usable, if so, I will bid a pittance
amount in hopes of getting it.

Note, this lathe is used, not new.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Quality varies widely, but mine is excellent for it's class. Did some
mods to the shifters, to make them more positive action. The gearing,
wiring,relays and control system is very well done (in mine) and works
perfectly. Didn't find any casting sand in the gear head. Accuracy is
within .001 12" from chuck. The gear head is not particularly noisy.
Motor is good, no problems.
DR
Dweller in the cellar

Ignoramus4856 wrote:
One is coming up on a liquidation locally, wanted to hear opinions,
very similar to

This would be for my own use, not resale.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-20, JR North wrote:
Quality varies widely, but mine is excellent for it's class. Did some
mods to the shifters, to make them more positive action. The gearing,
wiring,relays and control system is very well done (in mine) and works
perfectly. Didn't find any casting sand in the gear head. Accuracy is
within .001 12" from chuck. The gear head is not particularly noisy.
Motor is good, no problems.

OK, cool. I do not need some extreme power, etc, but it would be good
if it basically worked and could thread, etc and was giving me
accuracy that I am capable of. (which is not much) I will bid a small
amount. I like the fact that it is light and can be easily moved.

Dweller in the cellar

Ignoramus4856 wrote:
One is coming up on a liquidation locally, wanted to hear opinions,
very similar to

This would be for my own use, not resale.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I would be good to know how much tooling comes with it.
A friend has "a similar" one and it has worked out well for him.

I don't know what a "pitance" means to you, but it's hard to believe
that it would go for less than $1000 if it's in good shape and has the
tooling that it was sold with. If it doesn't have the tooling, it would
be pretty expensive to replace:
3 jaw chuck
4 jaw chuck
Steady rest
Follow rest
tool holder
wrenches
etc..

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

Ignoramus4856 wrote:
One is coming up on a liquidation locally, wanted to hear opinions,
very similar to

This would be for my own use, not resale.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-21, spaco wrote:
I would be good to know how much tooling comes with it.
A friend has "a similar" one and it has worked out well for him.

I don't know what a "pitance" means to you, but it's hard to believe
that it would go for less than $1000 if it's in good shape and has the
tooling that it was sold with. If it doesn't have the tooling, it would
be pretty expensive to replace:
3 jaw chuck
4 jaw chuck
Steady rest
Follow rest
tool holder
wrenches
etc..

I was thinking to bid $150 or so. Who knows, it might just work.

Pete Stanaitis

Ignoramus4856 wrote:
One is coming up on a liquidation locally, wanted to hear opinions,
very similar to

This would be for my own use, not resale.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-20, JR North wrote:
Quality varies widely, but mine is excellent for it's class. Did some
mods to the shifters, to make them more positive action. The gearing,
wiring,relays and control system is very well done (in mine) and works
perfectly. Didn't find any casting sand in the gear head. Accuracy is
within .001 12" from chuck. The gear head is not particularly noisy.
Motor is good, no problems.

OK, cool. I do not need some extreme power, etc, but it would be good
if it basically worked and could thread, etc and was giving me
accuracy that I am capable of. (which is not much) I will bid a small
amount. I like the fact that it is light and can be easily moved.

It looks identical to mine (marketed as a CQ-6230). I don't know if I'd call
it easily moved. I guess that depends on what you are accustomed to.

My machine although a little noisy works fine. The only problem I've had is
with crossfeed half nuts and their backlash adjuster. If the cross slide is
driven in too far one of the half nuts falls into the chip tray.
Unfortunately one of my nuts went out with the swarf one day.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 20, 3:44 pm, Ignoramus4856
wrote:
One is coming up on a liquidation locally, wanted to hear opinions,
very similar to

This would be for my own use, not resale.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

I looked at one at the local HF store a while back. Fit and finish was
pretty bad with slop everywhere BUT I am sure that there was no effort
to set it up other than what was needed to get it off the pallet and
onto the showroom floor. I would think that $500 would be a steal.
Other machine tools I have had from that part of the world have all
had soft fasteners that rounded off quickly. I'd suggest a program of
replacing important nut/bolts with a better grade as you can
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy,

I had a very similar looking Chiwanese lathe a couple dozen years ago
marketed in Canada under the label "DarSin". I was gunsmithing and building
custom competition pistols at the time. After set-up and tweaking I found my
lathe to be more than adequate for turning custom barrels. I also used it
occasionally for light milling applications with a Palmgren milling
attachment. In fact, I was competing in the NRA High Master class in PPC and
built myself a custom wheel gun with that venerable 'ol hunk of steel . I
lucked into winning a World Championship with that revolver.

$150.00 would be an unbelievable steal. I don't think I'll jinx 'ya by saying
it's not likely to go anywhere near that cheap. But I'll think good thoughts
and keep my fingers crossed for you.

Cheers.

Michael

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den wrote:

It looks identical to mine (marketed as a CQ-6230). I don't know if I'd call
it easily moved. I guess that depends on what you are accustomed to.

My machine although a little noisy works fine. The only problem I've had is
with crossfeed half nuts and their backlash adjuster. If the cross slide is
driven in too far one of the half nuts falls into the chip tray.
Unfortunately one of my nuts went out with the swarf one day.....

That had to hurt!

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:09:09 +0800, "Den"
wrote:

Unfortunately one of my nuts went out with the swarf one day.....

Happened to a friend of mine with a 7.62x39

Now he has a prosthesis.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 May 2008 02:09:54 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

Unfortunately one of my nuts went out with the swarf one day.....

Happened to a friend of mine with a 7.62x39

Now he has a prosthesis.

Did you tell him "The next time, shoot the OTHER brain if you want to
commit suicide."?

I trust that he now knows which end is the business end of an AK/SKS.

--
The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life,
acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus4856" wrote in message
One is coming up on a liquidation locally, wanted to hear opinions,
very similar to

The 13" X 40" below it at the same price looks like a better buy. ???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Unfortunately one of my nuts went out with the swarf one day.....

Happened to a friend of mine with a 7.62x39

Now he has a prosthesis.

Did you tell him "The next time, shoot the OTHER brain if you want to
commit suicide."?

I trust that he now knows which end is the business end of an AK/SKS.

Nah..that round was addressed "To whom it may concern"

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4856 wrote:

OK, cool. I do not need some extreme power, etc, but it would be good
if it basically worked and could thread, etc and was giving me
accuracy that I am capable of. (which is not much) I will bid a small
amount. I like the fact that it is light and can be easily moved.

Take your engine lift, stop by harbor fright, buy two furnature movers, and
bring some plywood to set on the movers. You can lift it and roll it out to
your truck for 40 bucks or so.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4856 wrote:

I was thinking to bid $150 or so. Who knows, it might just work.

Last night I was sniping for a metalworking book written by a member of my
adoptadads family. Five seconds to go on dsl, sent in bid to fleabay, got
an auction ended message. I'm on dsl.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Wes writes:

Take your engine lift, ...

Clamp an eyebolt in the chuck and thread the sling through it and under the
bed. That way you raise the hoist pivot point well above the center of
gravity. Stability is a virtue when lifting.

Ah, forget my suggestion. I was thinking about how I move the lathe I am
repairing out of my way.

I over used my brain at work today.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-21, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus4856 wrote:

I was thinking to bid $150 or so. Who knows, it might just work.

Last night I was sniping for a metalworking book written by a member of my
adoptadads family. Five seconds to go on dsl, sent in bid to fleabay, got
an auction ended message. I'm on dsl.

Perhaps your time is off? Do you run good NTP software? (google for
"meinberg ntp client for windows").

This auction that I mentioned, is not an ebay auction.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 May 2008 10:46:40 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

Unfortunately one of my nuts went out with the swarf one day.....

Happened to a friend of mine with a 7.62x39

Now he has a prosthesis.

Did you tell him "The next time, shoot the OTHER brain if you want to
commit suicide."?

I trust that he now knows which end is the business end of an AK/SKS.

Nah..that round was addressed "To whom it may concern"

VC or Raghead spam, eh? 'Tis a shame.

--
The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life,
acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can
do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man.
-- Euripides
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 May 2008 17:00:54 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

Ignoramus4856 wrote:

I was thinking to bid $150 or so. Who knows, it might just work.

Last night I was sniping for a metalworking book written by a member of my
adoptadads family. Five seconds to go on dsl, sent in bid to fleabay, got
an auction ended message. I'm on dsl.

Ah rectum 5 seconds ain't enough time to properly handshake with SSL
to the slow (overworked) eBay servers, Wes.

Next time, you might want to give it 20.

--
The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life,
acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can
do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man.
-- Euripides
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 May 2008 17:00:54 -0400, Wes wrote:
-snip-
Last night I was sniping for a metalworking book written by a member of my
adoptadads family. Five seconds to go on dsl, sent in bid to fleabay, got
an auction ended message. I'm on dsl.

Best ?$20? I ever spent was on auction sentry- It checks your clock
against ebay just before the critical moment.
https://www.auctionsentry.com/index.htm

Ouch- It is still shareware- but now the license isn't for life. $30
for 3 yrs would make me think about it these days.

OTOH- the developer updates the product frequently- and in 5 yrs of
using it, I've only been out-sniped once.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-22, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Wed, 21 May 2008 17:00:54 -0400, Wes wrote:
-snip-
Last night I was sniping for a metalworking book written by a member of my
adoptadads family. Five seconds to go on dsl, sent in bid to fleabay, got
an auction ended message. I'm on dsl.

Best ?$20? I ever spent was on auction sentry- It checks your clock
against ebay just before the critical moment.
https://www.auctionsentry.com/index.htm

Best $0 that I spent on JBidWatcher.

jbidwatcher.com

though I gave this guy a donation, but that was not at all necessary.

Ouch- It is still shareware- but now the license isn't for life. $30
for 3 yrs would make me think about it these days.

OTOH- the developer updates the product frequently- and in 5 yrs of
using it, I've only been out-sniped once.

Jim

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Unfortunately one of my nuts went out with the swarf one day.....

Happened to a friend of mine with a 7.62x39

Now he has a prosthesis.

Did you tell him "The next time, shoot the OTHER brain if you want to
commit suicide."?

I trust that he now knows which end is the business end of an AK/SKS.

Nah..that round was addressed "To whom it may concern"

VC or Raghead spam, eh? 'Tis a shame.

Cuban Spam actually.

Grenada.

Genyouwine Saline Filled. His old lady claims its hard to tell the
difference betwixt em.

Ive not had the desire to check for myself.....

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Re Harbor freight lathe

All I've ever needed to place a bid reliably (on dialup, in western PA)
accurately, within the last 8-5 seconds of an auction, was a $8 to 10
digital countdown timer.
This way, it doesn't matter if your clock time matches eBay's clock.

As the end is nearing (last 10-15 minutes, or sooner), I sync the timer's
remaining time to the actual amount of time remaining.
The important thing to do is to get the time synchronized for the *very
instant* that you click refresh (not including the time it takes for the
screen to refresh).

It's convenient if the countdown timer has the ability to be stopped, then
resume counting down, to get the actual remaining time equalized.
This works well by starting with a little more time on the countdown timer,
then pausing the countdown to match the actual time remaining.

Of course, this only works well if you're willing to be at the computer
during the end of the auction.
I can't recall having any problems that seemed like overloaded network
traffic/activity, but I suppose that could happen.

This is the only method I've used, for years now, and it is reliable. It's
just as easy to confirm the bid at 3 seconds, as it is to do it at 8, 12 or
any other lead time.
I generally allow a plus-one-second margin of error, as a safe measure.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Wes" wrote in message

Last night I was sniping for a metalworking book written by a member of my
adoptadads family. Five seconds to go on dsl, sent in bid to fleabay, got
an auction ended message. I'm on dsl.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12247 wrote:

Perhaps your time is off? Do you run good NTP software? (google for
"meinberg ntp client for windows").

I was refreshing and seeing time left. Guess I better pad a bit more time
on. I've done 5 seconds before with success.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 May 2008 19:01:17 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Steve Ackman quickly quoth:

In , on Thu, 22 May 2008
05:17:08 -0700, Larry Jaques, novalidaddress@di wrote:

Ah rectum 5 seconds ain't enough time to properly handshake with SSL
to the slow (overworked) eBay servers, Wes.

Next time, you might want to give it 20.

I generally give it 2 or 3 when I'm doing it live
and in person. It's always been plenty.

It's official: Steve has brass ones.

--
The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life,
acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can
do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man.
-- Euripides
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Ignoramus12247 wrote:

Perhaps your time is off? Do you run good NTP software? (google for
"meinberg ntp client for windows").

I was refreshing and seeing time left. Guess I better pad a bit more time
on. I've done 5 seconds before with success.

Wes

If you really want an item you indicate your highest bid. If that is $700 and no one
pushes you above $250 then you get it for $250.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 May 2008 21:02:12 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Al
Patrick quickly quoth:

Wes wrote:
Ignoramus12247 wrote:

Perhaps your time is off? Do you run good NTP software? (google for
"meinberg ntp client for windows").

I was refreshing and seeing time left. Guess I better pad a bit more time
on. I've done 5 seconds before with success.

Wes

If you really want an item you indicate your highest bid. If that is $700 and no one
pushes you above $250 then you get it for $250.

Yeah, but only -snipe- it with a $700 highest bid. Don't offer it up
front. That will always cost you more unless someone else wants it
more.

--
The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life,
acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can
do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man.
-- Euripides

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Ackman" wrote in message
rg...

There's very little as satisfying as winning the
auction with your bid time being the same as the end
time. ;-)

There is one thing better.

As you described, but with your winning bid 1¢ more than the under-bidder's.

Verrrrry warm feeling. :-)

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 May 2008 02:00:26 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Steve Ackman quickly quoth:

In , on Thu, 22 May 2008
17:24:52 -0700, Larry Jaques, novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Thu, 22 May 2008 19:01:17 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Steve Ackman quickly quoth:

In , on Thu, 22 May 2008
05:17:08 -0700, Larry Jaques, novalidaddress@di wrote:

Ah rectum 5 seconds ain't enough time to properly handshake with SSL
to the slow (overworked) eBay servers, Wes.

Next time, you might want to give it 20.

I generally give it 2 or 3 when I'm doing it live
and in person. It's always been plenty.

It's official: Steve has brass ones.

There's very little as satisfying as winning the
auction with your bid time being the same as the end
time. ;-)

I can imagine that few things would be that satisfying. Just as there
are probably few things more frustrating that having lost the auction
by one millisecond, eh?

Come to think of it, there was one time the bid
didn't go through on time, but I was outbid anyway, so
even if it had made it in time, I wouldn't have won.
shrug There's always the next one.

True. I'm waiting for a good price on two things right now. I think
this weekend will be key in my winning them for a song, too.

(One is software, but the other is metal and has wires, so we're still
on topic, NICK.

--

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-24, Jeff R. wrote:

"Steve Ackman" wrote in message
rg...

There's very little as satisfying as winning the
auction with your bid time being the same as the end
time. ;-)

There is one thing better.

As you described, but with your winning bid 1 more than the under-bidder's.

There is something even better, winning with your bid exactly equal to
that of the underbidder. Happened to me a few times.

Verrrrry warm feeling. :-)

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/