Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default De-arching leaf springs ?

Anyone know the mystery art of getting some of the arch out of some
used leaf springs ?

I thought it had to do with heating and cooling, but an old timer said
that the spring guys would just beat on them appropriately in the
right spots and they would straighten out. I would assume the
appropriate spots would be on the inside of the curve in order to
stretch it, but not sure.

I have an older truck with some broken and mismatched leaves up front.
The main leaves are fine... I just need to take some newer leaves I
have laying here and flatten them out a bit if possible.

thanks

Grummy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The correct way is annealing, bending to shape, hardening and redrawing, but
if you do not know the alloy, you won't know at what temperatures to do
this. If you don't have the facilities to do this, it is also impractical.
So, this leaves two choices. Go to a spring shop and buy what you need or
take your old springs and try to reform them cold, but to do this requires
you to push the leaves beyond their yeild point and that could be both
difficult and dangerous. I don't think this is possible with hammer alone. I
think you will have to force the spring to flatten and then with a very
heavy hammer slam the spring past its yeild point, but if that shock causes
the spring to release itself, it could kill or seriously injure you. Of
course, this operation is all about feel. I wouldn't do it. The cost savings
involved isn't worth the safety risk.
Steve

wrote in message
Anyone know the mystery art of getting some of the arch out of some
used leaf springs ?

I thought it had to do with heating and cooling, but an old timer said
that the spring guys would just beat on them appropriately in the
right spots and they would straighten out. I would assume the
appropriate spots would be on the inside of the curve in order to
stretch it, but not sure.

I have an older truck with some broken and mismatched leaves up front.
The main leaves are fine... I just need to take some newer leaves I
have laying here and flatten them out a bit if possible.

thanks

Grummy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had a set de-arched at an automotive spring/chassis shop many moons
ago.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:48:18 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Anyone know the mystery art of getting some of the arch out of some
used leaf springs ?

I thought it had to do with heating and cooling, but an old timer said
that the spring guys would just beat on them appropriately in the
right spots and they would straighten out. I would assume the
appropriate spots would be on the inside of the curve in order to
stretch it, but not sure.

I have an older truck with some broken and mismatched leaves up front.
The main leaves are fine... I just need to take some newer leaves I
have laying here and flatten them out a bit if possible.

thanks

Grummy

Home Page:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth
Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:58:47 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

[...]

I've arched springs many times with just a heavy hammer. I've also
bent them in a hydraulic press, cold.
But to relieve automotive leaf springs I generally just heated a
couple of the booster leaves a few inches from the end and pulled
them down a bit.
wrote in message
Anyone know the mystery art of getting some of the arch out of some
used leaf springs ?

I thought it had to do with heating and cooling, but an old timer said
that the spring guys would just beat on them appropriately in the
right spots and they would straighten out. I would assume the
appropriate spots would be on the inside of the curve in order to
stretch it, but not sure.

Beating on the inside arches the spring. Beating on the outside
de-arches.from my experience

Router Springs jg UK diy 17 March 27th 21 09:45 PM
Flickering Lights and Buss Arching daokfella Home Repair 15 July 2nd 07 05:50 PM
replacement leaf springs for trailer Tom Woods UK diy 3 February 26th 07 12:04 AM
How to Springs Roger Jensen Metalworking 10 January 14th 05 10:47 AM
Springs Tom Gardner Metalworking 0 September 17th 04 08:09 PM