Tin snips are tools used to cut thin sheet metal.

Old February 28th 08, 04:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tin snips are tools used to cut thin sheet metal.

On Feb 27, 3:15 pm, "http://r.yuwie.com/chiangmai"
wrote:
Tin snips are tools used to cut thin sheet metal. They use the same
principles as common scissors, but are able to handle thicker and
harder material. There are three different types of tin snips;
straight cutting, left cutting, and right cutting. Straight cutting in
a straight line, left cutting snips (usually red) will cut in a curve
to the left, and right cutting snips (usually green) will cut in a
curve to the right.http://cuttingtools.blogth.com/
In practical use the red snips pictured will be used in the right
hand, for straight or curving cuts, with the base material to the
right being cut neatly and the left hand will be pulling away a
spiraling offcut. The green snips work in the opposite fashion in the
left hand, with the waste being on the right.http://cuttingtools.blogth.com/
A similar tool called aviation snips can cut sheet metal with less
effort than tin snips. A compound lever mechanism provides greater
control with less effort. The serrated jaws prevent slippage and
withstand heavy use. Also it is designed with a latch than holds the
jaws closed if desired. The insulated handles have the same color-
coding as with tin snips described above.http://cuttingtools.blogth.com/
A tool called a hand notcher makes clean V-shaped cuts in sheet metal
without slippage. The compound-action handles produce necessary
leverage for fast cutting.http://cuttingtools.blogth.com/

So, Thailand finally discovered "tin snips"! I wonder what they used
before? Perhaps in the years to come they will discover "nibblers"! I
wonder what I have been using all these years to cut sheet metal? They
are cut metal, but don't have colored handles. I bet motor driven
shears would blow his mind!

Perhaps at a later date the genius can tell us how to sharpen tin
snips.

Now, one thing makes me think the poster has never used snips is he
never tells us to NEVER cut clear out to the end of the snips. That
will always cause a tear in the metal and it will bite your hand on
the next cutting stroke.

I am reminded of a friend who is an EE and used to work for what used
to be Western Electric. He was sent to the Far East, perhaps
Indonesia, to set up a telephone manufacturing factory. Finding
educated people, including graduate electrical engineers was never a
problem. His problem was finding anyone who had ever touched a
screwdriver or other tool, or who had ever actually held a meter. ALL
the education, all the way through graduate studies was from books. He
had to teach EE's how to turn screwdrivers clockwise to tighten screws
and how to actually hold test leads from a meter to check a circuit.
They were very intelligent people, but had not a clue about tools.

I am sure he posted this for our enjoyment and will never come back to
read the responses.

Paul in Central Oregon