Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air chisel spring and general use IR121

Ok - here goes.

Own one - like it - good gun.

I broke two springs in one day. The spring looks like it broke
from a shear impact.

I now have 4 new ones on the shelf and noticed a change in supplier.

What is the typical pressure used in these ?

I took the idea on the springs - that they might not be tempered or
treated post winding or post heat treatment.

Martin
--
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 20:14:33 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Martin H. Eastburn" quickly quoth:

Ok - here goes.

Own one - like it - good gun.

I broke two springs in one day. The spring looks like it broke
from a shear impact.

You need to learn better gun control, son. Even if you switched to a
solid, screw-on chisel retainer, you'd end up splitting the end of the
housing if you let the chisel get away from you that often.

HINT: Don't push the chisel against the piston and pull the trigger
without something against the chisel tip.

I now have 4 new ones on the shelf and noticed a change in supplier.

What is the typical pressure used in these ?

"Huh?" he queried, with a dumb look.

I took the idea on the springs - that they might not be tempered or
treated post winding or post heat treatment.

If they weren't heat treated, they probably would be unwinding and
bending out of shape, not breaking cleanly.

---
Every moment is a golden one
for him who has the vision to recognize it as such.
-- Henry Miller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 20:14:33 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

I took the idea on the springs - that they might not be tempered or
treated post winding or post heat treatment.

For best life, springs should be stress relieved after winding and
forming. 500F for 30 minutes is recommended for for carbon steel
springs. Try it on one of your remaining springs.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don't I wish I were that young to be called son.

What is the typical air pressure a IR121 gun is used with ?

I start it up against work, but it goes through the work and
continues to be moved to the side for more work. So it isn't
Always on work. And can't be.

My concern was if I was over pressuring it and thus the hammer
was throwing the chisel to hard and it beat up the spring.

Regarding the heat - process wasn't completed - never annealed ?
If not crystalline like it might be soft metal.

The new ones are stronger steel. The screw on was the same pitch, but
it took more force to thread it on as it also spread the spring.

The previous spare part was in a poly bag - likely bulk supply.
Now the new ones - same part number - come in poly/cardboard - MADE IN USA
with the plant name and state.

I suspect these will last. I suspect the previous two (gun 1st) and optional
spare - were from China and not to spec.

Those are screwed on chisel retainers. I assume you mean by getting away
from me is pounding air with it.
Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks Ned -

I'll test the two broken ones - see if I can 'snap' it and then
if so, I can heat that temp in two ovens - so it can be done. Then
try the same test again - and see if that was the failure.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:

I took the idea on the springs - that they might not be tempered or
treated post winding or post heat treatment.

For best life, springs should be stress relieved after winding and
forming. 500F for 30 minutes is recommended for for carbon steel
springs. Try it on one of your remaining springs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Don't I wish I were that young to be called son.

What is the typical air pressure a IR121 gun is used with ?

Almost certainly 90 psi.

I'm sorry to say I didn't understand your earlier posting.

Grant Erwin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 20:47:11 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Martin H. Eastburn" quickly quoth:

Don't I wish I were that young to be called son.

What, you didn't hear my Foghorn Leghorn voice there?

What is the typical air pressure a IR121 gun is used with ?

Standard air: 90psi or better, one hopes.

I start it up against work, but it goes through the work and
continues to be moved to the side for more work. So it isn't
Always on work. And can't be.

My concern was if I was over pressuring it and thus the hammer
was throwing the chisel to hard and it beat up the spring.

While that's possible, the more frequent cause is that you cut off
what you're chiseling against and don't come off the trigger soon
enough. That can break springs and the end of the gun itself.

Regarding the heat - process wasn't completed - never annealed ?
If not crystalline like it might be soft metal.

Si, eez possible.

The new ones are stronger steel. The screw on was the same pitch, but
it took more force to thread it on as it also spread the spring.

That could be the spring mfgr's building specs being smaller, too.

The previous spare part was in a poly bag - likely bulk supply.
Now the new ones - same part number - come in poly/cardboard - MADE IN USA
with the plant name and state.

SAE parts for a metric body? g

I suspect these will last. I suspect the previous two (gun 1st) and optional
spare - were from China and not to spec.

Those are screwed on chisel retainers. I assume you mean by getting away
from me is pounding air with it.

Precisely. That'll kill a gun quickly. A leather-gloved hand on the
chisel can help mitigate that, too, but it's secondary.

You've learned to feather the trigger, oui? Trigger control is key to
mastering those monsters. I hope you're not one of those poor souls
who never come to realize that air is a variable speed tool. Triggers
can be finessed. You'd be amazed to see how many people think they're
toggle switches, either full on or full off. sigh

--
Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants,
is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine

SDS plugging chisel Andrew Gabriel UK diy 4 August 31st 05 04:53 PM
Chisel Rack Tattooed and Dusty Woodworking 12 May 23rd 05 03:24 AM
SDS chisel advice tom patton UK diy 2 May 1st 05 01:29 AM
Difference between General 50-250 and General 350 table saws? Dean Hummel Woodworking 1 April 8th 05 02:27 AM
Bye-bye, chisel! Doug Miller Woodworking 16 November 22nd 04 10:46 AM