what metal/thickness to make 4 burner griddle for gas stove

Old February 23rd 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default what metal/thickness to make 4 burner griddle for gas stove

I've a gas stovetop and want to make portable a griddle- ?stainless,
steel, cast, to lay on top of the burners when I want to make giant
amounts of fried food. I thought I'd get approx 1/4 inch thick
material and weld handles on the sides. Do not want a lip. Obviously
my main concern is food safety. Also concerned about warping with heat
applied and cracking. My stove came with a nice cast aluminum griddle
but its too small- only covers 2 burners. Don't care if it's heavy.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dale
Old February 23rd 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I've a gas stovetop and want to make portable a griddle- ?stainless,
steel, cast, to lay on top of the burners when I want to make giant
amounts of fried food. I thought I'd get approx 1/4 inch thick
material and weld handles on the sides. Do not want a lip. Obviously
my main concern is food safety. Also concerned about warping with heat
applied and cracking. My stove came with a nice cast aluminum griddle
but its too small- only covers 2 burners. Don't care if it's heavy.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dale

I have a commercial stove with a 24" steel grill sheet. It is about an inch
thick and HEAVY... A friend of mine has an outdoor grill that is about a
quarter of an inch thick and it warps like crazy...

Jerry

Old February 24th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 23, 2:16*pm, wrote:
I've a gas stovetop and want to make portable a griddle- ?stainless,
steel, cast, *to lay on top of the burners when I want to make giant
amounts of fried food. I thought I'd get approx 1/4 inch thick
material and weld handles on the sides. Do not want a lip. Obviously
my main concern is food safety. Also concerned about warping with heat
applied and cracking. My stove came with a nice cast aluminum griddle
but its too small- only covers 2 burners. Don't care if it's heavy.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dale

There are grades of stainless that warp less than others. Don't know
what they are; I'd have to ask a welder.
Old February 24th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think I'd just get a piece of 3/8" aluminum plate, rivet some suitable
handles on the sides. The advantage of the aluminum is that it has very
high heat conductivity, the entire plate will be at the (almost) same temp.

A stainless plate would need to be very thick to avoid warping:
stainless is a fairly poor heat conductor, the areas over the burners
will expand while the outside edge stays much cooler. That will make the
center dish up/down, not fun for fried food prep.

Old February 24th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:47:09 -0600, RoyJ
wrote:

I think I'd just get a piece of 3/8" aluminum plate, rivet some suitable
handles on the sides. The advantage of the aluminum is that it has very
high heat conductivity, the entire plate will be at the (almost) same temp.

A stainless plate would need to be very thick to avoid warping:
stainless is a fairly poor heat conductor, the areas over the burners
will expand while the outside edge stays much cooler. That will make the
center dish up/down, not fun for fried food prep.

I agree, the conductivity of aluminum makes it a better choice than
stainless. I'd suggest using a 1/2" or 5/8" AL plate for more heat
storage and better distribution. Cast iron would also work well and
should not warp.

Now if you could find a 3/8" plate of copper...
Old February 24th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I think I'd just get a piece of 3/8" aluminum plate, rivet some suitable
handles on the sides. The advantage of the aluminum is that it has very
high heat conductivity, the entire plate will be at the (almost) same temp.

A stainless plate would need to be very thick to avoid warping:
stainless is a fairly poor heat conductor, the areas over the burners
will expand while the outside edge stays much cooler. That will make the
center dish up/down, not fun for fried food prep.

I agree, the conductivity of aluminum makes it a better choice than
stainless. I'd suggest using a 1/2" or 5/8" AL plate for more heat
storage and better distribution. Cast iron would also work well and
should not warp.

Now if you could find a 3/8" plate of copper...

My former supervisor's portable (on a tandem axle trailer) barbeque
pit had a 1/2" thick sheet of inconel clad steel on top the approx.
30" square firebox. That worked pretty good if you get lucky at the
salvage yard. He'd cook breakfast for the entire barbeque crew, then
cook the beans and sauce on top.

Pete Keillor
Old February 24th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Do not want a lip.

Where is that grease going? Fire is in my thoughts.

Wes
Old February 25th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You've a point Wes- no lip on the griddle would invite trouble. Thanks
for all the responses folks. Would 6061 be a good choice? Thinking 1/2
inch plate and weld flange around the perimeter to act as a lip/
stiffener/handle attachment point.

You're all invited for steak fried rice.

dale
Old February 25th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I've a gas stovetop and want to make portable a griddle- ?stainless,
steel, cast, to lay on top of the burners when I want to make giant
amounts of fried food. I thought I'd get approx 1/4 inch thick
material and weld handles on the sides. Do not want a lip. Obviously
my main concern is food safety. Also concerned about warping with heat
applied and cracking. My stove came with a nice cast aluminum griddle
but its too small- only covers 2 burners. Don't care if it's heavy.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dale

Mother had a CI griddle for pancakes that made eight at a time - must
have been at least 12 x 24" - I don't recall it being all that heavy,
of course I haven't seen it in 35 years.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old February 25th 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If I were doing it, I'd use a bit thinner piece, hit it in a press brake
to put some 1" wide, 1/4" high lips on the side. 6061-T6 would be fine.
Keep in mind that temps in the 700F range for any extended period will
reduce the 6061 strength to 15% of original.