Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 18 volt drill question

On Jan 8, 4:10*pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Okay, my HF 18 volt charger does not charge any more. *I really liked this
drill and even have an extra battery.

The charger puts out 16.2 volts (supposed to be 21 volts), not enough to
recharge.

That doesn't follow. The reading on a meter is an average,
but the battery can charge on peaks at 25V even if the average
voltage is less. Look at battery terminal voltage with battery-out-of-
charger,
then with battery-in-charger, and if the second is higher, it IS
charging.

If the charger isn't charging either battery, it has likely got a
blown
component, possibly the main current-sense resistor. Can you
disassemble the charger? I've seen dead chargers where the
replacement of that resistor and an amplifier chip (the current-sense
voltage went wild and blew the amp when the resistor opened up)
fixed it completely.