Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Degree symbol °

Ever want to use the degree symbol instead of typing the word "degree"?

If yes:

With "Numlock" ON. hold down the alt key and type 0176 (USING THE KEYPAD).

°
°
°
°
Ha!

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
Ever want to use the degree symbol instead of typing the word "degree"?

If yes:

With "Numlock" ON. hold down the alt key and type 0176 (USING THE
KEYPAD).

Take a gander at this for a lot more. A little tricky to start but
comprehensive at the finish.

http://www.download.com/Quick-Key/30...-10534922.html

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
Ever want to use the degree symbol instead of typing the word "degree"?

If yes:

With "Numlock" ON. hold down the alt key and type 0176 (USING THE
KEYPAD).

°
°
°
°
Ha!

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------------

Thanks for that 2¢ worth of information, Pete. g

I've used those alt nnnn for some time now. Very useful!

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote in
:

Ever want to use the degree symbol instead of typing the word
"degree"?

If yes:

With "Numlock" ON. hold down the alt key and type 0176 (USING THE
KEYPAD).

°
°
°
°
Ha!

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------------

Also....

Ø = Alt 0216
² = Alt 0178
× = Alt 0215
± = Alt 0177

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:27:54 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Edward Hennessey" quickly quoth:

"spaco" wrote in message
. ..
Ever want to use the degree symbol instead of typing the word "degree"?

If yes:

With "Numlock" ON. hold down the alt key and type 0176 (USING THE
KEYPAD).

Take a gander at this for a lot more. A little tricky to start but
comprehensive at the finish.

http://www.download.com/Quick-Key/30...-10534922.html

Why not just use the built-in Windows Character Map?
Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character Map
But first figure out what font you use in Usenet. I use Courier
because of its easy reading and monospace (fixed-width) style. (When
someone posts an ascii graphic, I can see it right away.)

--
Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous
delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Also ALT 248
°
JR
Dweller in the cellar

spaco wrote:

Ever want to use the degree symbol instead of typing the word "degree"?

If yes:

With "Numlock" ON. hold down the alt key and type 0176 (USING THE KEYPAD).

°
°
°
°
Ha!

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------------

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-22, spaco wrote:
Ever want to use the degree symbol instead of typing the word "degree"?

If yes:

With "Numlock" ON. hold down the alt key and type 0176 (USING THE KEYPAD).

°
°
°
°

Of course -- there are other problems which can result from
this. That is part of an extension to the ACSII character set (the
standardized part is all with the parity bit clear, and the character
which you generated has the parity bit set. (Octal code 260 for that,)

With a plain ASCII terminal set to ignore parity (as is common)
that would display as '0' (the numeral zero).

With various other systems (including Windows boxes with
different charactersets selected, including different national
charactersets), it is possible that you will get other characters
displayed.

And to *generate* the character on different keyboards, and
different systems, you use different methods. For example, on a Sun
keyboard, you hit the "compose" key, followed by an underscore '_',
followed by either an upper case 'O' or a lower-case 'o'. (Yes, they
both generate the same character.

Interestingly enough, the character 'º' in *my* system is a
different code -- octal 272, decimal 186, or hex BA. *That* shows as
the degrees symbol in my eiditor, while what you entered displays in the
editor as \260, the code for part of the non-printable range. It *does*
show as you intended in the email client and pager, but not in the
editor which I use.

It is for reasons like this that I normally avoid posting to
usenet using *any* character beyond what is found on the keycaps. That
way, I know that everyone will see it the same.

When I post -- I want *everyone* who is interested to be able to
read what I've posted -- not to show off tricks at the keyboard for
generating characters outside the range of standard 7-bit ASCII.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gee, guys, I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest on this! I just
thought this was way for me to dress up my own Turbocad drawings, Excel
spreadsheets and Word documents.
I meant the information for those who aren't already as advanced as
you guys are.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

spaco wrote:
Ever want to use the degree symbol instead of typing the word "degree"?

If yes:

With "Numlock" ON. hold down the alt key and type 0176 (USING THE KEYPAD).

°
°
°
°
Ha!

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote: Gee, guys, I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest on this!
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don's post was not a slam at you--it was a very helpful admonition to people
like me, who learn a little, and find themselves worse off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Be aware too that the IBM extended ascii character set may not display as
intended on computers of recipients living in countries outside the USA (for
the reasons Don mentioned). My experiences with this date to the 1980's but
it caused me to just get out of the habit of using the extended ascii set.
Here's more than you ever wanted to know:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...cii+characters

David Merrill

news

66 degree house? Joe Home Repair 9 December 11th 07 09:27 PM
90 or 110 degree TV N Cook Electronics Repair 4 August 10th 07 03:52 AM
Can I replace 2.5-mm/40-degree knives with 3-mm/45-degree ones? [email protected] Woodworking 2 June 7th 06 08:04 PM
Bronze bolts with the "infinity" figure 8 symbol diaphone Metalworking 1 September 24th 05 12:46 AM
135 Degree worktop joint (external 45 degree) James Simpson UK diy 4 January 28th 04 01:31 PM